PDA

View Full Version : trekking pole tents vs. tents with poles

ksquared
03-31-2014, 22:55
Hey guys, I have absolutely no experience with tents that use trekking poles so I was wondering if anyone can help me out with a couple general questions?

Are there any type of special considerations for setting up one of these tents that you don't have to worry about with a traditional poled tent?

Do they typically do worse/better in wind/storms/snow/etc.

Are they hard to get in and out of? Seems like knocking down those trekking poles on a midnight privy run would be pretty easy.

For reference I'm looking at getting the Nemo Veda 1p, if anyone has experience with that specific tent that would be great too. I basically just really need to cut some weight after a back injury and losing the tent poles seemed like a good place to start.

http://www.rei.com/product/865570/nemo-veda-1p-tent

Franco
04-01-2014, 00:06
Hi
1) most dome tents are almost impossible to set up the wrong way , although some succeed.
Trekking pole supported tents need a minimum amount of knowledge/common sense or maybe just practice.
2) it depends on the specific designs, your ability to guy them out correctly and up to a point the type of poles you use.
I prefer the adjustable pole types and of some substance (that is no thin one piece CF for me)
3) again it depends on the tent design some are ,some will give you more exit rom than most poled tents.

If you like the Nemo, I am very biased but I would also take a good look at the Tarptent Notch.
A bit lighter than the Veda and you can leave all four door panels open for air flow and views or have the all closed down...
franco@tarptent

Coffee
04-01-2014, 07:42
I had a BA Copper Spur UL1 before buying my Hexamid Twin. I was initially afraid of the setup of the Hexamid but it didn't take more than a few practice attempts to get really good at pitching it. For three season use, I don't personally see the downside in saving the weight on a non free standing shelter like the hexamid. I've had it in some windy conditions and it is breezy inside but I've never felt like it would collapse on me. Good trekking poles with a flick lock are worth having for this type of setup. I have the black diamond carbon cork.

wTk49
04-01-2014, 12:41
Once when I went hunting I realized I hadn't taken my poles with me. Fortunately I had my saw & cut some aspen new growth & used them. But it could have been a trip killer if I didn't have a way to replace them.

Odd Man Out
04-01-2014, 13:53
Once when I went hunting I realized I hadn't taken my poles with me. Fortunately I had my saw & cut some aspen new growth & used them. But it could have been a trip killer if I didn't have a way to replace them.

One could forget, lose, or break a pole with either style of tent, but i suspect that finding a suitable stick to replace a trekking pole would be much easier than rigging up a replacement for a broken pole of a free standing tent.

Mobius
04-01-2014, 14:04
I think my trekking poles are going to handle a lot more stress than a typical tent pole (they are a lot thicker to begin with).
If you're already taking trekking poles it's now dual use.
The way the poles attach to my tent (Tarptent Notch) it take an awful lot of work to knock them out while the tent is up (there is a velcro loop at the bottom to hold them in place)

Old Hiker
04-01-2014, 14:11
LightHeart Gear SoLong 6 uses trekking poles, but since I carry natural wood sticks, I bought the poles they offer. They work GREAT !! Out of the way of the door(s), fold up small, not too light, but tradeoff.

I use a hoe handle and a tree stick for support - I trust them with my 210# a LOT more than a couple of sticks of aluminium. Just my preference.

bigcranky
04-01-2014, 14:14
I agree with Mobius, and one of the tarp-tent makers told me the same thing in relation to a really big shelter supported by a single pole -- the hiking stick will be far stronger than a light tent pole. I've been using hiking-stick supported shelters for a long time (regular tarps, and tents from both Tarptent and Six Moons Designs), and never knocked down a stick by accident.

I've never seen that Nemo tent in person, so I can't comment other than to say it looks (1) complicated and (2) somewhat expensive. If I were buying a new solo shelter right now, I'd most likely get a Tarptent Notch.

ksquared
04-01-2014, 22:16
I'd never even heard of that tarptent. It looks pretty nice though. How small does it pack down to? I couldn't find that info on the website I looked at but I'm also on my phone so maybe I just missed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Franco
04-01-2014, 22:45
The Notch packs down to 16"x3.5" (like two Nalgene 32 ozbottles end to end ...)
Specs and set up instructions (printed and video) are on the product page

ksquared
04-02-2014, 21:06
Awesome thanks guys! You've given me some things to think about! I appreciate it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RockDoc
04-02-2014, 22:38
The tarp tents have been around long enough that the designs have few, if any, flaws.
They are a good option, as long as it's not going to pour rain hard. I knew thru hikers who sent their tarp tent back to Henry Shire after spending a storm getting misted, and hence soaked, right through the single layer silnylon fabric.
If the weather is going to be bad, it's better to be in a stout tent with a separate fly.
(I own three tarp tents, but I carry a heavy Sierra Designs tent with poles if I expect pouring rain).

Franco
04-02-2014, 23:41
Tarptent changed the fabric about 2 years ago to a slightly heavier but more waterproof silnylon.I have not seen reports of misting by penetration since then.
The Notch is a two wall tent with a full mesh or partial fabric inner to chose from.