PDA

View Full Version : ONE GRAM hiking spoon

Just Jeff
09-18-2005, 14:01
Check out my new hiking spoon...it doesn't even register on my digital scale!

http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HomemadeGearSULspoon.html

Be sure to post your experiences if you get one...:jump

Marta
09-18-2005, 14:09
The pink color kind of gives away the spoon's origin. It is very cheery, however.

Marta

PS--We'll miss you at the SEHHA get-together next weekend!

Lanthar Mandragoran
09-18-2005, 14:59
I ended up using my fingers more often than the spoon. BPL would call this "Behavior Modification" but the spoon is still a fully functional piece of lightweight kit!
HAHAHAHAHA!

MacGyver2005
09-18-2005, 21:29
Ingenuity is what makes ultra-light so much fun. Very creative, Jeff! Although not necessarily a great tool for total functionality, it is still very novel and resourceful. I like the way you think.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

fiddlehead
09-18-2005, 23:41
Yeah, good idea, but that foil pouch is probably heavier than 3 or 4 of those spoons

Clark Fork
09-18-2005, 23:46

Be sure to post your experiences if you get one...:jumpI laughed because guiltily I recognized it to be a BR ice cream sample spoon.

But look at this just coming on the market. Jet Boil owners of the world unite, finally a looooooooong spork and a spatula to beat....

They are showing up on ebay for $1.98...

http://www.guyotdesigns.com/products/mealgear/mealgear.php

Best Regards,

Clark Fork in Western Montana..."Where seldom is heard a discouraging word."

Just Jeff
09-18-2005, 23:47
Yeah, and those eggs tasted like...um...you know how you wake up after a night of drinking looking for that vagrant who apparently urinated in your mouth while you were sleeping? Not quite that bad. But close. I would rather carry a barbell in my pack than put that stuff anywhere near my mouth again.

Unfortunately, I was eating it for a BGT review. Hrm...I sense a poor review coming.

Seeker
09-18-2005, 23:56

Be sure to post your experiences if you get one...:jump
Jeff,

i bet you could make it even lighter... i've got one of those 1/40" drill bits, like you'd use to make burner holes for a pepsi can stove, if you want to borrow it... bet you could drill out quite a bit of extra weight with it... LOL :D

Just Jeff
09-19-2005, 00:07
That's a great idea, Seeker. I was going to cut the handle in half, but I need to buy a new scale accurate to .000002g first so I can get an accurate gauge of my weight savings. No need to actually save the weight until I can brag online about how thrifty I am, no?

Hehe...

Seeker
09-19-2005, 01:19
and somewhere out there is the guy who thinks we're joking...

Rain Man
09-19-2005, 05:38
Sure it's lightweight, but is it MULTI-purpose?!!!

Rain:sunMan

dougmeredith
09-19-2005, 08:16
Sure it's lightweight, but is it MULTI-purpose?!!!
Don't bring toilet paper, can't find any smooth rocks, hummm...... :)

Doug

gardenville
09-19-2005, 10:08
My Home-Made long handle (8 inches) Titanium spoon weighs 0.29oz. That is a little more than your 0-gram spoon but it works really nice. The handle can be used to spread something like peanut butter or jelly. The edge of the spoon is more or less flat to get into the corners of a food bag and the handle will flex enough to go into a cup for storage. I could drill holes in the handle to make it lighter but then I would have to tie a rock on it so it would not float away. I have a few pictures of it here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/6114/sort/1/cat/500/page/6

Just Jeff
09-19-2005, 10:45
and somewhere out there is the guy who thinks we're joking...
and a few posts later...

My...spoon weighs 0.29oz.
Haha...I knew someone was out there! At least yours is useful!

But you're right...if it started floating away, you'd have to add back the weight of a wrist strap to keep it handy, so there's no point in drilling the holes.

Seeker
09-19-2005, 10:50
that's an awesome looking spoon... reminds me of one of those brown plastic army MRE spoons... anyone have an idea what those weigh?

you know, i bet if you sharpened one side of it and cut teeth in the front end, you could call it a sporkni, and that's not something you could do in lexan... well, not one that had a good knife blade anyway.

ok. so how'd you make it? can you work titanium sheets like regular sheet metal? i always heard it was tough to work with... where did you get the blank? looks like a 1.5" by 9" strip would do...

gardenville
09-19-2005, 12:01
that's an awesome looking spoon... reminds me of one of those brown plastic army MRE spoons... anyone have an idea what those weigh?

you know, i bet if you sharpened one side of it and cut teeth in the front end, you could call it a sporkni, and that's not something you could do in lexan... well, not one that had a good knife blade anyway.

ok. so how'd you make it? can you work titanium sheets like regular sheet metal? i always heard it was tough to work with... where did you get the blank? looks like a 1.5" by 9" strip would do...

MRE Spoon - 6.9gr - 7-1/8" long - plastic
Dairy Queen Spoon - 3.8gr - 7-3/4" - plastic
McDonald Spoon - 6gr - 7-3/8" long - plastic
Lexan? - 10.8oz - 7-3/8" long - plastic
Backpackinglight.com Ti Spoon - 16gr - 8-5/8" long - Titanium
My Home-Made Ti Spoon - 8.3gr - 8-1/8" long - Titanium

I thought about sharpening one side but I carry a small Swiss Army knife anyway.

If you look at my Gallery you will see the Titanium/Carbon Fiber External Pack Frame I made. The Titanium I used for my spoon is a piece of scrap from the frame. I have also made a Titanium Potty Trowel from some of the same Ti scrap. Titanium is not hard to work with but it is strange. You can cut it with a good pair of tin snips, you can punch a hole in it easy but when you drill it you need sharp drill bits and slow speed. I made a mold for the spoon end out of a piece of wood. Then I heat the Ti to red heat with a hand torch. Then I beat the Ti with a hammer using the mold and formed the spoon shape. To finish the spoon I did a lot of hand filing and sanding.

The Ti Potty Trowel was made the same basic way as I used for the spoon.

I got my Titanium from Thru-Hiker.com -
http://www.thru-hiker.com/MaterialDetail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MG110&subcat=Titanium

12hrsN2AT
09-19-2005, 12:36
Taco Bell has a spork that is sanitary wrapped and will not register a weight on my ounce scale accurate to 1/10 and ounce.
http://server5.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=spork.2.jpg

Seeker
09-19-2005, 14:09
MRE Spoon - 6.9gr - 7-1/8" long - plastic
Dairy Queen Spoon - 3.8gr - 7-3/4" - plastic
McDonald Spoon - 6gr - 7-3/8" long - plastic
Lexan? - 10.8oz - 7-3/8" long - plastic
Backpackinglight.com Ti Spoon - 16gr - 8-5/8" long - Titanium
My Home-Made Ti Spoon - 8.3gr - 8-1/8" long - Titanium

and i thought I was detailed... wow! a bow (verb) to you...

i'll have to look at the mre spoon and taco bell spork... thanks for the info on titanium... i'll have to give it a try some time.

gardenville
09-19-2005, 14:45
and i thought I was detailed... wow! a bow (verb) to you...

i'll have to look at the mre spoon and taco bell spork... thanks for the info on titanium... i'll have to give it a try some time.

Thanks.

Popeyes Fried Chicken also has a short plastic spork that looks like the Taco Bell spork.

Popeyes spork - 2.2 grams - 5-3/8" long - plastic

I didn't list the Popeyes spork as I don't use short spoons/sporks. You might check out the Mc D... long spoon. They come with one of their ice cream things. The spoon is used to mix the ice cream.