PDA

View Full Version : do i need to keep a 20 degree and a 40 degree quilt?????.....

William36
04-01-2014, 13:18
just curious what you all think....rather new to the top quilt thing......so actual field usage minimal so far.....

in the state of being an obsessive gear junkie I have ended up with a 20 degree and a 40 degree top quilt....

seems in retrospect to me that with the flexibility the quilt offers over sleeping bag that I should just keep the 20 degree(foot box opens fully to lay totally flat) and free up the funds by selling the 40 degree....

weight difference is only like 4 ounces and I got a couple hundred extra bucks tied up.....

My only remote thought for keeping both would be "layering" them for colder weather, but I think at those temperatures I would probably want i fully enclosed mummy bag anyway????

Thoughts.........????

Mobius
04-01-2014, 13:47
It depends on when and where you camp during the summer. When the nights only get down to 60 and 70 (or 80) at night, a 20 deg quilt is too much. Sometimes a 40 deg is too much.

FarmerChef
04-01-2014, 14:17
It depends on when and where you camp during the summer. When the nights only get down to 60 and 70 (or 80) at night, a 20 deg quilt is too much. Sometimes a 40 deg is too much.

Agreed. I hike with a 0 degree quilt and a 50 degree flannel bag liner. In the summer we only take the liners. In the shoulders we take the quilt and when it's really going to be cold we take both.

MuddyWaters
04-12-2014, 16:35
without a doubt, you need both. You cant use a 20 at 65F, at all, not even a corner to cover your tummy.