PDA

View Full Version : Chairs? Who's bringing them?

Boots and Backpacks
04-01-2014, 14:23
Go ahead, let the criticism begin. :D

Both of us are going to be packing the REI Flex Lite Chair. To us, this is 28oz of pure comfort, and is worth its weight in gold! I'll at the least shave a couple oz off of these before we leave.

tf bear
04-01-2014, 14:30
Don't let the naysayers sit in them. I wish I had the ba!!s to carry one. Hike your own hike and sit wherever you want.

wtrenda
04-01-2014, 14:31
what pad are y'all using? If you have a neoair, this is the one i was talking about in the other thread.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/seating/chair-kits/jembe-seat/product

Boots and Backpacks
04-01-2014, 14:36
what pad are y'all using? If you have a neoair, this is the one i was talking about in the other thread.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/seating/chair-kits/jembe-seat/product

We're both using the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core. I personally wouldn't use one of the pad chairs. I've popped a pad using one a couple years ago. The nice thing about the chair is that it gets you up off the ground.

Boots and Backpacks
04-01-2014, 14:37
Don't let the naysayers sit in them. I wish I had the ba!!s to carry one. Hike your own hike and sit wherever you want.

If the naysayers have a Snickers bar. I might choose to open the lines of communication.

Slo-go'en
04-01-2014, 14:39
I meet a woman who started out with a chair last year. She said she'd never part with it. Guess what? 100 miles later, no chair.

Boots and Backpacks
04-01-2014, 14:43
I meet a woman who started out with a chair last year. She said she'd never part with it. Guess what? 100 miles later, no chair.

Having a wife with scoliosis hiking with me. I'm 100% sure she won't be sending it home.

Hot Flash
04-01-2014, 14:45

Both of us are going to be packing the REI Flex Lite Chair. To us, this is 28oz of pure comfort, and is worth its weight in gold! I'll at the least shave a couple oz off of these before we leave.

The Alite Mayfly is a half pound lighter, at 20 oz. It's the one I carry when I choose to carry a chair.

Coffee
04-01-2014, 14:49

For a couple of ounces more you could carry a bearikade canister and have a camp stool plus bulletproof food protection with no hassles. I don't normally carry the bearikade where not required but I have taken it on short trips just to have a camp stool with additional functionality.

Hot Flash
04-01-2014, 14:51
For a couple of ounces more you could carry a bearikade canister and have a camp stool plus bulletproof food protection with no hassles. I don't normally carry the bearikade where not required but I have taken it on short trips just to have a camp stool with additional functionality.

Except for the issue that it doesn't fold up and is a pain in the ass to shove into a backpack.

Coffee
04-01-2014, 14:52
Except for the issue that it doesn't fold up and is a pain in the ass to shove into a backpack.
Not that bad in my ULA circuit but I will admit I'm happier without it.

Boots and Backpacks
04-01-2014, 14:57

x2 on this.

Not that bad in my ULA circuit but I will admit I'm happier without it.

Plus the fact that I would need one that can hold enough food for two, or I'll need two of them.

My wife and I have a pretty good system as far as weight carrying goes. I carry 90% of the food, cooking stuff, tent, and a few others. She'll be carrying the sleeping bags, pads, clothes, and her crap.

Sarcasm the elf
04-01-2014, 14:58

Nothing to criticize so long as you're not making me carry it. To each their own.

RED-DOG
04-01-2014, 18:22
their great for sitting around the shelter or campsite or at lunch time, break time, HYOH.:jump

Chair-man
04-01-2014, 19:43
Both of us are going to be packing the REI Flex Lite Chair.

I thought about getting the REI Flex Lite Chair (http://www.rei.com/product/829239/rei-flex-lite-chair#specsTab) but it looked like it would take too long to set up and break down on short breaks and lunch and it sits too low to the ground (13" seat height). That's why I got the Roll-a-Chair (http://www.rei.com/product/638053/camp-time-roll-a-chair#specsTab) 19" seat height and sets up and breaks down in a flash. It does weigh a bit more, 2 lbs 8oz.
My total base weight with the chair is 18lbs, 25lbs with food water and fuel.
I did a 40 mile shakedown hike from Amicalola to Neels last Oct and had no problem carrying 25 lbs. The Chair is my only luxury item. I actually call it a necessity item.

adamkrz
04-01-2014, 20:05
We always take our Pack stools, Made in the USA and only 14 oz. Really high quality - mine is at least 10 years old and still in great shape.

Meriadoc
04-01-2014, 20:07
My total base weight with the chair is 18lbs, 25lbs with food water and fuel.
I did a 40 mile shakedown hike from Amicalola to Neels last Oct and had no problem carrying 25 lbs. The Chair is my only luxury item. I actually call it a necessity item.
Definitely a necessity. Otherwise you'd have to change your name!

Which makes me wonder, are you bringing Boots and Backpacks, Boots and Backpacks? :D

Which reminds me of:
"James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher."

Hot Flash
04-01-2014, 20:52
We always take our Pack stools, Made in the USA and only 14 oz. Really high quality - mine is at least 10 years old and still in great shape.

I considered that, but I like being able to lean back. If I'm sitting on something with no back, I might as well be sitting on a rock or a log. For six more ounces I can have an actual chair.

Boots and Backpacks
04-02-2014, 08:27
Which makes me wonder, are you bringing Boots and Backpacks, Boots and Backpacks? :D

Nope! Only crocs and stuffsacks.

Boots and Backpacks (http://bootsandbackpacks.wordpress.com/)

Another Kevin
04-02-2014, 08:58
I considered that, but I like being able to lean back. If I'm sitting on something with no back, I might as well be sitting on a rock or a log. For six more ounces I can have an actual chair.

There is much to be said for a dry place to sit, even if it is backless. Of course, you don't need a pack stool for that.

I use my pack as a backrest, and sit on my pad. If I don't have a handy rock or tree to lean my pack against, I brace it with my poles. On day trips in wet conditions, I bring a little piece of blue foam as a sit pad.

colorado_rob
04-02-2014, 09:43
I'll make a Naysayer comment and answer your basic question about who is bringing chairs; the answer is: Those folks who are less likely than average to hike the entire trail. Sorry! Extra, nearly useless weight (plenty of other places to sit) will bog you down and lessen your chances, especially if you're talking about 28 ounces each. Yikes. I'd advise you to reconsider, but yes, of course, HYOH, this is just my humble opinion.

RockDoc
04-02-2014, 10:39
This is a good subject, let's face it we all sit down.
We carry a piece of blue foam pad to sit on. Keeps the bottom from turning brown and wet from soil and dirty surfaces.

Hot Flash
04-02-2014, 11:51
I'll make a Naysayer comment and answer your basic question about who is bringing chairs; the answer is: Those folks who are less likely than average to hike the entire trail. Sorry! Extra, nearly useless weight (plenty of other places to sit) will bog you down and lessen your chances, especially if you're talking about 28 ounces each. Yikes. I'd advise you to reconsider, but yes, of course, HYOH, this is just my humble opinion.

Correlation ≠ causation.

Slo-go'en
04-02-2014, 11:55

Also, the OP is apparently planning on starting December 31st and with a dog, so will already have a heavier then usual pack. In Jan/Feb, you'll be either walking or in your sleeping bag, not sitting around in a folding chair!

Coffee
04-02-2014, 12:00
I don't think the OP is looking for advice, but of course the post was going to get responses.

I'll bet there is a formula out there that can correlate the amount of total weight carried with daily caloric requirements based on pack weight and a person's weight. It would be useful to think about weight in that way since every pound of additional base weight implies the need for additional calories each day. That requirement cannot really be offset by hiking fewer miles per day because then additional days of food are required between resupplies - a vicious cycle. In contrast, a lighter pack results in fewer calories needed per day which translates to less food weight, the possibility of hiking more miles per day and needing less food between resupplies, fewer days for the trip, lower costs etc.

No one is going to have to carry the weight but the hiker so it isn't anyone's business but of course responses would follow from the original post!

Boots and Backpacks
04-02-2014, 12:51
Also, the OP is apparently planning on starting December 31st and with a dog, so will already have a heavier then usual pack. In Jan/Feb, you'll be either walking or in your sleeping bag, not sitting around in a folding chair!

We are starting on 12/31, but the dog will remain at home until after the Smoky's. There will be plenty of time to sit around in the evening, but definitely not in a folding chair. We have no issues with sitting around when it's 20 degrees out, or colder for that matter. Cold weather is going to be the issue, but the snow might be.

I don't think the OP is looking for advice, but of course the post was going to get responses.

I'll bet there is a formula out there that can correlate the amount of total weight carried with daily caloric requirements based on pack weight and a person's weight. It would be useful to think about weight in that way since every pound of additional base weight implies the need for additional calories each day. That requirement cannot really be offset by hiking fewer miles per day because then additional days of food are required between resupplies - a vicious cycle. In contrast, a lighter pack results in fewer calories needed per day which translates to less food weight, the possibility of hiking more miles per day and needing less food between resupplies, fewer days for the trip, lower costs etc.

No one is going to have to carry the weight but the hiker so it isn't anyone's business but of course responses would follow from the original post!
`
We don't need really need advise on this. We're pretty comfortable with our gear, hiking ability, and our chosen start date. I was simply trying to find out if other people actually carried chairs with them. We've been on several longer trips around the country, and people we meet on each one always ask about our chairs.

We're also not going to be your ultra-lite hikers, and are going to live to the motto HYOH. We'll pack more weight at the beginning due to the cold weather, and will lighten up after the first month or two. By time we get to Hot Springs we'll most likely have our smaller packs sent, and warmer weather bags. That along should save us around 64-80oz in weight. In addition to that, we'll be able to send home our warmer clothing, and substitute it for warmer weather clothing. We're smart hikers, we eat well on the trail, and we can keep up with the fast ones when needed. We're in no rush to finish, and are allowing ourselves until August 23 to return home to St. Louis.

Conductor
04-02-2014, 21:48
We had a hiker named Minnesota Smith in 2006, and he was a prolific poster here on WhiteBlaze. Look him up for some entertainment.

Well, I caught up with him just above Damascus, and actually shared a shelter for a night. Interesting fellow. Carried an enormous pack, I mean Giynormous! It was rumored that he had his water mail dropped in, but I did get a glimpse of the three rolls of paper towels he brought along. Even the die hard HYOH gurus were trying to persuade him to lighten his load.

OK, long story short... I heard he made it before they closed Katahdin for the season.

Cheers to you B&B

RockDoc
04-02-2014, 22:32
You can pack for hiking (light) or pack for camping (heavier, with chairs, etc).
Do what you want to do. I think that packing extremely light for 10-12 hrs of hiking/day leads to a nice physical challenge, but often not a lot of enjoyment (start in the dark/finish in the dark).
So pack for camping and enjoy your time at camp, while perhaps moving a bit slower on the trail.
It's not a race (at least it shouldn't be IMO).

CarlZ993
04-02-2014, 23:05
It is a personal choice on what to hump in one's pack.

From my personal observation last year, I did see a few NoBos w/ chairs on the trail as I went north. The last one I saw was around Daleville VA. I never saw another thru-hiker w/ one as I went further north. I used a small piece of close-cell foam to sit on. A little cushion & protection from the cold & moisture. Less than 2 oz.

If you find that you can easily hump it and finish your thru, more power to you. If you decide that you need to jettison some weight out of your pack, ship it home. USPS got some business from me on my hike.

HYOH (unless you're doing it differently than me & then you're doing it wrong) :)

Boots and Backpacks
04-03-2014, 08:25
My base weight with a small chair is 15lb 4oz at the moment. That does not include water and food though. I think that is a pretty good weight to be at. It will get heavier once I start planning all my winter gear. The 15lb 4oz weight will happen once I send home all the cold weather gear we're bringing for starting 12/31. I'll most likely be around the 20-22lb mark at the start of the trip.

Namtrag
04-03-2014, 10:12
A 21 oz Alite Monarch chair + a 23 oz quilt is the same as no chair and a 2.5 lb sleeping bag. I think the argument against bringing a chair is typical bro logic....and the reason more people don't carry them is because they think no one else carries them. Not because of the weight.