PDA

View Full Version : Starting solo or with a group / partner?

Dahoyt
04-01-2014, 15:52
Just wondering what peoples plans are, what they think will be the downfalls, or the good things about your choice...

Dahoyt
04-01-2014, 15:54
I personally plan on starting Solo, will be going to the Appalachian Trail Kick Off by myself, but will be open to arranging ahead of time or finding someone to hike with. I imagine it will be uber easy to meet like minded people, but still it's more comforting to me knowing I am starting with someone else. As I do a lot of my hiking here in Vermont by myself, and have a lot of experience going solo, I always find it more fun with others...

HikerMom58
04-01-2014, 16:12
I personally plan on starting Solo, will be going to the Appalachian Trail Kick Off by myself, but will be open to arranging ahead of time or finding someone to hike with. I imagine it will be uber easy to meet like minded people, but still it's more comforting to me knowing I am starting with someone else. As I do a lot of my hiking here in Vermont by myself, and have a lot of experience going solo, I always find it more fun with others...

I love Vermont Dahoyt. You are lucky to hike there. :)

CaityJ
04-01-2014, 16:22
I am starting solo. Even though I feel comfortable and confident in myself, my family would feel more comfortable with me having a partner. I have decided to keep and open mind in the topic and if I happen upon someone that shares a similar pace and is a quality partner then things might change. In the end HYOH :)

Caddywhompus
04-01-2014, 22:35
Starting solo. I'm content to do it all solo but I hope I can find others along the way to hike some or all with. Thats part of the experience. I know I can do the whole thing solo but whats the fun in that. The people on the trail are just as important as the trail itself.

Meriadoc
04-01-2014, 22:43
Downfalls of not hiking solo: accidentally hiking someone else's hike. It's very easy to do; even subtle peer pressure is a powerful force.

If you hike in a group most of the time, I recommend taking at least one week, preferably a bit more, to hike solo. That's when a lot of growth happens. :)

Have fun! (And don't listen to me, hike your own hike!)

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
04-01-2014, 23:26
Might sound crazy but solo is the only way I have ever though about doing this. And that need cost me a relationship. Not that I don't expect to meet people or spend time with them but I really like the peace and serenity of being in the woods by myself. That may change once I get going and I am open to that. But for right now solo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wtrenda
04-02-2014, 01:40
I am starting solo(perhaps with a canine companion though). The biggest downfall with my decision will be in-town resupplies with the pup along. I am definitely hoping to hike with someone for most or all but not necessarily the same person. I feel there are numerous advantages to having a partner while hiking, and it'd be a nice way to split costs when staying in towns.
I like what Merry said though as well... It's definitely about personal growth. I'll definitely be spending plenty of time to myself, as well.

theatiger
04-02-2014, 06:26
I am starting solo and hope to meet people as I go. I am also with merry in that it is all about personal growth. I hope to see a lot of you wonderful people at shelter for sure.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

NCn8chrgrrl
04-02-2014, 20:46
Starting solo, but amenable to hiking with others ... is it 2015 yet??? :)

Slo-go'en
04-02-2014, 21:03
It's pretty hard not to end up part of a group one way or another and groups tend to be in constant flux, with members coming and going.

contrast009
04-02-2014, 23:11
I am going solo. I briefly considered hiking with a partner, but I really want to be able hike my own hike and not be tied to what someone else is doing. I am kinda excited that there will be even fewer people on the trail due to my SOBO hike (at least once I get by the NOBO bubble)

YesRushGen
04-03-2014, 10:47
Downfalls of not hiking solo: accidentally hiking someone else's hike. It's very easy to do; even subtle peer pressure is a powerful force.

If you hike in a group most of the time, I recommend taking at least one week, preferably a bit more, to hike solo. That's when a lot of growth happens. :)

Zach Davis in his Appalachian Trials book (if you've not read it yet, read it!) makes an excellent point about this. He says it's very easy to get attached to a group for the sake of companionship. Once attached, he says that some people will sacrifice the potential for personal growth - just to not be alone. He also talks about the peer pressure Merry mentions. Even something as simple as, "awww man, don't camp here - stick it out with us to the next shelter!" Can affect your hike.

He also talks about effective means of getting away from a group that you just are not feeling comfortable around. Overall, I found his book to be excellent. (And no, I'm not being paid to advertise. LOL)

Kelly

YesRushGen
04-03-2014, 10:53
Oh yeah - I guess I didn't answer the question posed by this topic. Ha.

I am starting out solo and agree with most posts so far. I look forward to the solitude of being solo, but also am hopeful for meeting some like minded people and having social experiences on trail.

All-in-all, I'm pretty open minded.

Hope to see some of you out there - only 11ish months to go. (Time is flying - from my chair)

Kelly

CHRISTINE2015
04-03-2014, 11:45
I'm really excited about being in the "bubble"! I can't wait to meet new people who share my passion for this adventure!

Mosquito Bait
04-03-2014, 14:24
I'm starting solo, but know that I won't be for long. With the number of people hiking the AT, you almost can't be solo! I have already noticed (from Trailjounals) that there are a number of people planning on starting the same day as I am. (April 1st) I hope to get in with a great group of folks that are slow hikers too. LOL

Conductor
04-14-2014, 16:49
A lot of people ask me if I'm hiking with someone. My answer, "Nope solo", but I will have a couple hundred friends with me. I knew people, good strong couples, who hiked together all the way to the top. See http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=158834 Enough and Too Much from 2006. I think it would take a lot of commitment to stay with a single person the entire trail. Marriage isn't easy, but staying with some who smells like a thru hiker ;) now that's commitment.

Regardless, it's an easy concept to think that as long as the hike takes you to the same place for any given number of nights you got a hiking companion for a while.

rafe
04-14-2014, 18:13
Regardless, it's an easy concept to think that as long as the hike takes you to the same place for any given number of nights you got a hiking companion for a while.

I've been trying to parse that statement. But here's the thing -- the total number of sobos is sufficiently small and widespread (in terms of start time) that you won't be constantly leapfrogging other thru-hikers, at least not after the first few weeks. Nobo hikers are greatly affected by the bubble, but I think sobos, not so much.

YC 15
04-14-2014, 19:08
I will begin this journey solo. I look forward to the meet-n-mingle but I imagine I will find myself with me. I'm not sure what the trail holds for me yet but in the spirit of HYOH I'll be doing some solo soul searching. One of the benefits of blazing such a well traveled trail is solo one minute, in good company the next.

Hillbilly Mac
04-14-2014, 22:13
Going with a fellow Veteran with PTSD, but I know at times we'll be miles apart & alone walking off our losses & discovering just who we are.

hikingshoes
04-14-2014, 23:29
I'll be hiking solo .

Caddywhompus
04-15-2014, 07:48
Going with a fellow Veteran with PTSD, but I know at times we'll be miles apart & alone walking off our losses & discovering just who we are.

He won't be the first or the last Veteran with PTSD walking on that trail.

Conductor
04-16-2014, 06:10
I've been trying to parse that statement. But here's the thing -- the total number of sobos is sufficiently small and widespread (in terms of start time) that you won't be constantly leapfrogging other thru-hikers, at least not after the first few weeks. Nobo hikers are greatly affected by the bubble, but I think sobos, not so much.

During a week long shakedown in 2005 I traveled north in the Shenandoah NP. It was September and in 5 days I ran into 6 SoBos. I absolutely agree Rafe, SoBo is a different animal.

Beccah
04-18-2014, 21:49
Like most everyone else who has responded, I'm planning a solo hike, but figuring there will be a lot of other people around. I'll be open to socializing and meeting other people, but I don't want to have to hike at anyone's pace but my own. I want to be able to stop for the night, go a little farther than planned, or smell the roses without having someone else's wants/needs to think about.

Farren
08-03-2014, 09:22
Solo, I hate trying to keep up with other people.

Dogwood
08-03-2014, 12:43
For a NOBO ATer starting between late Feb-late April whether or not you start solo you will have ample opportunity to attach yourself to a group.

ChuckT
08-03-2014, 16:06
Hmm my experience has been that the solo vs group decision will be made for you. You will meet others with which you are simpatico or not. It's one of those go-with-the-flow situations.
After all why fret about it. That is just another piece of kit that _you_ need to decide to keep or not.

KillerKarma
08-04-2014, 17:16
I also plan to hike solo, which is something many people in my life are uncomfortable with...but it's not their hike. As I'm planning to start in March, I'm sure fellow hikers won't be far if I want to mingle. I'm doing this for me after all. If I find some lifelong friends, awesome! If not, still awesome! It will be nice to have people around that will "get it" if you need to walk alone for a while. Also looking forward to the company while camping. Can't wait to meet you guys!

Bob55
08-04-2014, 23:12
If and when I start this adventure in the spring I'll be solo also. Plenty of people to meet along the way to Katahdin.

hazmat
08-05-2014, 10:06
My sentiments exactly KillerKarma. Since I am old and slow I plan to go solo and HMOH, but I am sure in the course 2200 miles I will have the opportunity to meet and share time and thoughts with many others. Part of what makes this endeavor so attractive.

AmputeeHiker
08-06-2014, 20:37
I hike slow, less than 2MPH so I would imagine I'll be seeing a lot of behinds on my trip! LOL I dont mind hiking solo tho, in the end you always have people at shelters or in passing.

Speakeasy TN
08-09-2014, 10:48
Solo...... In '11 I was hiking with the guys I would stay with for 6 weeks after the second night. You will find out who is moving at your pace and it will sort itself out without any effort at all. Also "together" is not quite the same as "see ya there" Best of both worlds is hiking alone and overnighting with the group.

Gunner1776
08-10-2014, 17:24
Solo - January 1st

Cassafras
08-10-2014, 21:38
Solo! I hate the idea of not going at my own speed to keep up with someone, or slow down for someone. I want to just walk, eat, sleep, and socialize on my own terms. This hike is about me, and if I have a partner then it becomes about "us". I'm fine with falling in and out of groups, just so long as I remember why I chose to go solo and really HMOH.

KillerKarma
08-12-2014, 10:29
Solo! I hate the idea of not going at my own speed to keep up with someone, or slow down for someone. I want to just walk, eat, sleep, and socialize on my own terms. This hike is about me, and if I have a partner then it becomes about "us". I'm fine with falling in and out of groups, just so long as I remember why I chose to go solo and really HMOH.
My feelings exactly!

Doogievlg
08-14-2014, 08:43
There will be drama on the trail if you tell one of your new hiking friends you want to hike alone. They will take it as you saying they are slowing you down or annoying you. I had this problem while on solo climbing trips that I made friends on. Also on other hiking trips.

The AT might be different though.

KillerKarma
08-14-2014, 17:51
The AT might be different though.

Hope so. Not that I don't think you guys are gonna be great and all...but I've never been the type to go along with others if it's not what I want to do.

saralynne1982
08-14-2014, 20:27
Hiking solo for the most part and stating out that way. I think my husband will come join me for some parts of it, but for the most part I am hoping to meet new people (one of my motivations for doing a thru hike). I look forward to some time on my own but also looking forward to time with others

Mulungu
08-28-2014, 16:24
Hi slo go'en
just thought we would say hi, all the way from SouthAfrica.
hope you are well and the radio business is still great

ian and leslie
springbock and kitty

Mulungu
08-28-2014, 16:27
Ps my wife and I always hike together. It seems to work better that way. There was one time after a small disagreement that we hiked for a few hours with some space between us.... It was peaceful :D ������

steve0423
08-28-2014, 17:27
Even if you steer clear of the bubble there will be plenty of folks to walk with. I would suggest mixing it up a bit and trying a few different ways. I met some really great people on my thru that I'm still close with a year later. But I also had some great experiences on my own. Solo through the 100 mile wilderness is an awesome way to reflect on an incredible journey and ready yourself for the end.

MarkCevoli
08-28-2014, 20:22
I will be starting solo I believe, and hope to mingle all up the trail with people.

Speakeasy TN
08-30-2014, 10:15
Starting solo but it won't last! In '11 I was with the guys I'd be with for a month after the 2nd day. You just move at the same pace and POOF you see the same folks at every shelter.

09-19-2014, 10:59
Solo and in the company of some VETS Sounds like i'll be in good company.

jjozgrunt
09-26-2014, 15:20
Starting solo and happy to join up with others or continue solo. I've found it is very hard to walk with a group as no one is exactly the same. It will be more about who is walking the same distances in a day and therefore you will meet each night. Part of the experience for me will be meeting all of the various people along the way, be that for a 5 minute chat never to see them again or days/weeks of meetups as you stay within the same bubble. All part and parcel of the journey and in the end I will just HMOH and let the rest take care of itself.

KillerKarma
09-29-2014, 08:16
Well I planned a solo hike all along, but it looks lile I may be starting with some company. Not sure how serious he is. I'm still preparing as if I am going it totally alone in case he doesn't come or ends up dropping out early. We shall see.

mdbamabrad
10-15-2014, 12:38
As someone who started solo and didn't make it as long as I would liked to have, I would suggest starting with someone. Especially early on your just aren't going to be walking all day and it helps to have at least someone out there in the woods to communicate with or just for safety.

xrayextra
11-03-2014, 23:42
Just know that you may be starting out by yourself but you'll never be alone. You'll make hundreds of great friends along the trail.

Good luck!

Jake2c
11-06-2014, 01:15
Solo. I will be retiring from the military in the summer of 15 and intend to hike the AT starting in late Feb or early March of 16. That is assuming that all my bits and pieces stay together. I don't mind spending my evenings with a few people around but like hiking alone. I am going to try using a hammock so that I can stop where ever I want. Probably near a shelter but not in it, at least at first.

comanche8f
12-20-2014, 22:04
I am hiking solo. I will be leaving Springer Mtn NOBO in March. I am thinking around March 9, but am open to pretty much anytime if someone wants to meet up. I will probably go from shelter to shelter for the first week, until I get my trail legs a bit. I am going to try to be in decent shape to do it before then, but I don't know how decent that is going to be compared to where I need to be for the trail. I was in the military for 10 years, never fell out of anything, so don't think I am not going to make it because I start slow. I plan on averaging about 12 to 14 miles a day when the hike comes to an end. I am 35, male, and happily married, currently living in MD, but claim AL/GA. So, if anyone is interested in meeting up, let me know. I would be much happier with another person or 2. I will hike slow or fast. I would be willing to change my speeds in order to be with another person or two. Also, I am driving down from MD, so if you are on the way, let me know and we can split gas, even if you don't want to join up for the journey, I can still give you a ride, I could probably pick up 3 people..... if they are not too far out of the way

Treetoptommy
12-25-2014, 08:47
Solo but i am sure i will find someone to hike with in no time.

bemental
01-03-2015, 23:18
:raise hand:

Another PTSD/TBI wounded warrior walking off the war this year. Late March start.

Del Q
01-04-2015, 08:27
In 9 years of section hiking, I much prefer being solo. Have been out a few times with friends, am fine when they head home as I continue. I want to do 12 mile days, worked out to being able to do that, not happy when they want to stop at 8 or 10. A few years ago I met a guy from Charlotte, we hike he same way and same distance. Works fine for section hikes. DO NOT think that a long distance hike would work unless it was with my wife - which she says will never happen

SoniaButton
01-05-2015, 12:06
I will be with my partner. I also know one other friend who will be starting, sooner than we will though. I assume we will hike separately at times, and of course together at times. I too am excited to meet others, pass and join as I go.

Fireonwindcsr
01-05-2015, 15:26
Heading out solo. Looks like it will be easy to meet people along the way. I have a thousand questions which seem to center around preparation. I just don't want to overthink the hike. Army vet. Live in Maryland and Florida.

Fireonwindcsr
01-05-2015, 15:31
Looking forward to meeting you. I'm looking at a March or April hike. Are you hiking the whole trail?