PDA

View Full Version : Expedition packs: what have you used and what would you recommend?

Meriadoc
04-01-2014, 22:34
Hi folks! So this is not for prospective thru hikers. ULers, turn away. :P.

I anticipate starting work soon where I will be carrying a 50-60 lbs pack that needs ~90L (~5500 cubic inches) of room. What packs have you used that you would recommend?

My initial thoughts are the Gregory Denali or Osprey Xenith. But I know little about packs in this carrying capacity range.

My main requirement is very good weight transfer. I prefer hip belt pockets and a shovel pocket of some sort, but these are not requirements.

I'm 5' 7" and 160 lbs in prime hiking shape.

dmax
04-01-2014, 23:30
I'd consider an external pack in your decision process. They can carry the weight and lots of items can be tied on.

Feral Bill
04-01-2014, 23:35
I have a Dana (now Mystery Ranch) Terraplane that I use for large loads, as for leading groups, winter trips, and being the mule when my kids were little. It is very comfortable. Depending on terrain and the work at hand, I'd also consider an external frame. My son has been using my old Mountain Master with great satisfaction. More so than in most things, YMMV. Of course, no pack does the work for you.

Alligator
04-01-2014, 23:51
I've got an Arc'teryx Bora 95 that is now strictly winter and my sherpa pack. Carries loads really well but is a heavy pack to start with. They don't appear to be making these any more. The newer models are different, they seem to bulge out a bit more in the back. I can't offer a recommendation on current build quality or design but my Bora 95 is very well made.

Shonryu
04-02-2014, 01:38
Marine Corps ILBE Pack

colorado_rob
04-02-2014, 04:30
We go on very long unsupported hikes and climbs a lot, meaning even going ultralight, this means heavy. The two biggest expeditions I've been on were climbing Denali twice, once in 2006, with a repeat (with my wife, who wanted to climb it) in 2011.

Anyway, both times required carrying on the order of 60 pounds on our backs (and pulling another 40 on a sled; climbing Denali, even ultralight requires about 95-100 lbs to start). the first trip, I carried an 8 pound Dana Design Terraplane. The second trip I used a 5 pound 85L Osprey Aether. What can I say? The 3-lb lighter Aether was as comfortable as the Terraplane. I have used the Aether now for many other shorter trips that still required carrying a big load (multi-day technical climbs) and really like the pack.

One bonus of this particular pack is that REI sells it:

http://www.rei.com/product/846413/?cm_mmc=cse_PLA-_-pla-_-product-_-8464130011&osprey-aether-85-pack,-arroyo-red,-large&preferredSku=8464130011&mr:trackingCode=1214CE1E-2A6B-E211-BA78-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=46925366920&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=61470965440&{copy:s_kwcid}&msid=DcYxHBQp_dc|pcrid|46925366920|#descriptionTab

meaning you can give it a really good try and if you don't like it, return it hassle free. Walking around the store for 15 minutes, even fully loaded, won't tell you if it will work. Try a couple hours on a trail first, fully loaded, and demo it.

BTW, though the REI spec sheet shows 5 pounds for the large, mine weighed a few ounces more than that originally, but after trimming a couple things off, like extra strappage length, it comes in right at 5 pounds now.

colorado_rob
04-02-2014, 04:33
BTW: looking at the REI site, I sure don't see much difference between the Osprey Xenith and the Aether... maybe the Xenith is just a newer model of the aether?

q-tip
04-02-2014, 10:17
I used an Arc Teryx Bora 90 in India trekking in the Himalayas. It is one big pack, but for comfort and durability, worked well. It is for sure heavy, but if you need an expedition pack, and any mountaineering gear, I have had great success with Arc Teryx......

Venchka
04-02-2014, 10:32
I purchased one of the last of the pre-buyout (demise) built in Bozeman, MT ArcFlex Terraplanes in 1994. It is a medium torso/medium belt size. The belt is adjustable 2"-4" vertically. It weighs 6 pounds 12 ounces. Considerably lighter than the weights I see quoted for similar Terraplanes. I think it would fit you perfectly.
I recently looked long and hard at the 70 liter Osprey Aether. All things considered (price vs. carrying capacity vs. weight), I couldn't see any compelling reasons to spend the money for a replacement of the Terraplane. There are several things about the Terraplane that you don't see in packs anymore. The two long back pockets are extremely versatile. They swallow gear like a bottomless pit. The floating/removable top lid is equally versatile. It holds a soft 1 liter Platypus bottle and the tube exits the lid and goes straight into my mouth. Perfect. Nobody ever mentions the fact that the Terraplane squashes down to daypack size when needed. The sleeping bag compartment collapses into the main body of the pack. The hip belt and lid come off. The compression straps tighten up the main bag and Presto! Daypack.
The Terraplane does lack water bottle and hip belt pockets as we know them today. No worries. The lid holds my version of a water bladder/drinking tube. I have several after market pockets that I can attach to the hip belt. There are places on the shoulder straps to attach do-dad pockets.
In summary: The ArcFlex Terraplane (or its' big brother the Astralplane for ginormous loads) carries a load so well that I think you would be hard pressed to find an equal today. Just make sure that the pack was built in Bozeman before K2 bought Dana Design & Garuda Tents and promptly ruined both product lines. I do see Terrplanes on ebay from time to time.
I suppose the current production Mystery Ranch Terraplane might perform the same tasks.
Good luck!

Wayne

Venchka
04-02-2014, 10:34
ps: There is also Dan McHale and his custom made to fit packs. Bring your check book. Maybe a 2nd mortgage.

Wayne

RED-DOG
04-02-2014, 10:34
Try North Face on there web-site they have a pack called the proffet it looks like it would handle the weight you are asking about, I do have a montain hardwear shaka 70 and i have had up to 65 lbs in it and the pack handled great, it would diffinatly handle 90+lbs, so yeah look at North Face or Montain Hardwear.

colorado_rob
04-02-2014, 11:13
I recently looked long and hard at the 70 liter Osprey Aether. All things considered (price vs. carrying capacity vs. weight), I couldn't see any compelling reasons to spend the money for a replacement of the Terraplane. There are several things about the Terraplane that you don't see in packs anymore. Yes, the Terraplane is an awesome pack, those back pockets hold Huge amounts of gear. But I have to ask: did you actually wear both the Terraplane and the Osprey fully loaded for any length of time? My compelling reason is simply the near 3-lb weight savings (my terraplane weighs 7-14), for the same amount of comfort. The belt on the Osprey is equally adjustable. The lid is versatile. Nice (but light) straps on the rear to hold a tent/sleeping pad/whatever. To me, it was a no-brainier to finally retire the Terraplane; was kind of sad, really because I had lots of good history with it.

colorado_rob
04-02-2014, 11:17
I keep meaning to mention: The Osprey Aether (the 85L version, at least) has a custom heat-molded hip belt (REI cooks them for you as part of the purchase, maybe not all stores though, but you can also do it yourself at home). Maybe a tad gimmicky, but it sure works for me, and with my hipless build, it is the best fitting hipbelt I've ever had.

Venchka
04-02-2014, 14:00
Rob,
My decision not to buy a new pack was based on two primary criteria: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Budget-I need to replace my summer bag & sleeping pad. Replacing those two items will knock more weight out of my pack than a new backpack. I two backpacks: a frameless 3 pound Jensen and the 6 pound 12 ounce Terraplane. I know they fit. I know they work. I prefer not to take a chance on something new at this time.
A local Texas dealer, Whole Earth Provision Co., told me a year ago that all of the Osprey Aether models were individually heat molded.

The top lid of the Terraplane/Astralplane attaches to the hip belt to make a lumbar pack.

Wayne

Feral Bill
04-02-2014, 15:23
At present there are several Bozeman made Terraplanes in various sizes on Ebay.

Llama Legs
04-02-2014, 15:35
Marine Corps ILBE Pack

No kidding. Made by Arcteryx. Carry a house with one of those.

PD230SOI
04-02-2014, 16:29
I still have my 20 year old LL Bean "North Col" pack that think was around 6,000 cu inches. It fits me well and still gets pretty full when I am the family mule. I've never really taken it on long distance hikes, but it was fine for a week or two. I imagine you might find one on eBay.

Venchka
04-02-2014, 17:22
This would be the Real Deal. Same color as mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dana-Design-Terraplane-Backpack-Red-Black-Medium-/171284032405?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e152eb95

Wayne

Meriadoc
04-02-2014, 21:51
Thanks for the input folks.

I keep meaning to mention: The Osprey Aether (the 85L version, at least) has a custom heat-molded hip belt (REI cooks them for you as part of the purchase, maybe not all stores though, but you can also do it yourself at home). Maybe a tad gimmicky, but it sure works for me, and with my hipless build, it is the best fitting hipbelt I've ever had.

Rob, are you able to shift the hip belt around a little? I ask because when I'm backpacking I'll change how the pack carries from time to time. Sometimes I wear it high on my hips, sometimes I wear it low on my hips. My understanding is that once the hip belt has been molded that it is hard.

Your other reasons for the Osprey over the Terraplane are compelling. Since I will be buying a [new to me] expedition pack, not replacing a pack, I might go for the new pack and weight savings over a used Terraplane. With the new job come prodeals although I'm not certain what I will have.

Dan McHale's packs are way out of my price range.

Mystery Ranch's military line is intriguing, particularly the NICE frame. Gosh they are heavy though.

Sadly, Mountain Hardwear, NorthFace, and Arcteryx don't make 90L packs anymore.

Venchka
04-03-2014, 10:16
No clue if it actually exists, but The North Face still lists the Matthes Crest 85L pack on their web page. OK, not 90L, but close enough. Places like Campmor or Sierra Trading Post might have closeout/discontinued models.

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/matthes-crest-85-pack.html

Gregory still builds large backpacks. From 80L to 105L.

http://gregorypacks.com/en/shop-men-backpacking

http://gregorypacks.com/en/shop-men-alpine

Mountain Hardware. 70L to 105L.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/outdoor-camping-equipment-backpacks/?prefn1=productSubcategory&prefv1=Backpacking

Lots of big backpacks at REI, including Arc'teryx.

http://www.rei.com/c/backpacking-packs?ir=category%3Abackpacking-packs&sort=max-price&r=category%3Acamping-and-hiking%7Chiking-backpacks%7Cbackpacking-packs%3Btab.sku-range-gear-cap-l%3A51+to+100&rx=true

Happy Hunting.

Wayne

colorado_rob
04-03-2014, 10:26
Rob, are you able to shift the hip belt around a little? I ask because when I'm backpacking I'll change how the pack carries from time to time. Sometimes I wear it high on my hips, sometimes I wear it low on my hips. My understanding is that once the hip belt has been molded that it is hard. Keep in mind that my Osprey Aether is about 3 (4?) years old now, but at least on mine, the hip belt has maybe 2 inches of up/down adjustment, takes about a minute. I just double checked to make sure. I also verified my pack's weight again at 4# 15 ounces. I did cut a couple minor things off, maybe 2-3 ounces or so.

Again, the Terraplane is a great pack, it's just that I own both and the Osprey is just as comfortable with 60 pounds as the Terraplane, and 3 pounds lighter.

Venchka
04-03-2014, 10:57
Keep in mind that my Osprey Aether is about 3 (4?) years old now, but at least on mine, the hip belt has maybe 2 inches of up/down adjustment, takes about a minute. I just double checked to make sure. I also verified my pack's weight again at 4# 15 ounces. I did cut a couple minor things off, maybe 2-3 ounces or so.

Again, the Terraplane is a great pack, it's just that I own both and the Osprey is just as comfortable with 60 pounds as the Terraplane, and 3 pounds lighter.

Real world comparison experience noted. If the Minister of the Finances & Keeper of the Purse Strings will grant a Special Expenditure, I will revisit the Osprey Aether. In my case, a reduction of 1 pound 12 ounces can't hurt. As a matter of fact, a tweak here & a tweak there, I can buy a Hilleberg tent at no increase in pack weight. It's only money. :) Where does it stop? :cool:

Wayne

Just Bill
04-03-2014, 11:52
Merry-
I have a Vortex pack that I use for my heavy hauler. The company is still around but rebranded itself for sportsman and no longer makes backpacking specific packs. Excellent internal frame hauler. Found one available- http://www.sierratradingpost.com/vortex-5800-series-backpack~p~85629/
EDIT- oops- missed the fact it's sold out- but at least you can see the pack.

Or if interested I can see if my brother still has his- he's your size and no longer uses his and would likely give it away cheap.

That said- not sure what type of work you are doing exactly but would an external frame serve you better? I used one all the time when I was younger since you could easily strap odd stuff to it and/or carry shovels, ax, or other tools easier. I had an older heavy duty stuff sack that I attached to the bottom of the frame to put the heads of the tools in and used a bungee for the handles. The other advantage is you can modify the pack body easily or even remove it when needed to haul/cache supplies. We used to have a modified one for our boundary waters trips that we attached the kitchen box to. They are still reasonably affordable new and easy to find used.

http://www.kelty.com/p-430-trekker-65.aspx?category=backpacks
Decent example and generally a good pack that many scouts and others have used and abused for years. Ignore the volume as you can easily strap on another 30+ liters in lieu of a sleeping bag to the lower half of the frame. If base camping this is also nice as you could strap a small plastic drum for food cache and your work gear to the bottom during the day.

Meriadoc
04-03-2014, 21:15
The job is as a guide, mostly backpacking and canoeing with some climbing thrown in. I haven't started yet, so I don't have a complete feel for how much space I really need (read: how much I will be carrying above my own kit). But the outfit is a good one and has been in existence for a few decades, so I trust their numbers when they say I need a 90L pack. The other reason I'm being a stickler for a truly heavy duty pack is because I have prior experience with a back injury in the past and I truly know the value of keeping as much weight on the hips as possible.

Once I start and have a feel for how they operate, I intend to order a pack that suits. I'm exploring options now because I don't expect to have a lot of time to decide.

Thanks Colorado Rob. That's good to know.

The Vortex pack looks very similar to Mystery Ranch's packs both the Terraplane and the military. Man is that pack tall!

I actually own a Kelty Trekker that I haven't given away yet. (Think I might donate it to the HS Outing club I just started up. We had our first meeting and outing today! Yippee!) The Trekker was by far the worst fitting pack I have ever used. That must be just the way it fits on me because there are plenty of satisfied customers. I've thought about a Jansport D2, the same pack my grandfather still uses, but it just doesn't feel right.

I really am intrigued by the external frame military packs from Mystery Ranch. Heavy as heck but. . . as you said Bill, a heavy hauler is even more useful if it can be modified to carry anything. Has anyone tried these? I know we have military folks here, anyone used those?

I'm neglecting several things I need to do for tomorrow to write this rambling post so I suppose it is time to sign off.

Thanks for your help folks!

Spinning Nock
04-14-2014, 22:40
The best big backpack I have ever used, and I have had a lot of them, from McHale and Dana and Lowe to military packs, Gregory, etc. is the Dana Designs/K2 Longbed framepack. it only takes a minute to remove the pack so that you can use the frame, and I have hauled 100 pounds of rice in a dry bag with the frame, 10 gallons of gasoline, put trashbags in the pack and filled it with raw meat, you name it. The best thing is that you can take it off and it will stand on it's own, fully loaded. No internal frame pack will do that. That might not sound like a big deal, but when you are in a field of mud and you can't walk another step and there is nothing to lean your pack on, it means a lot. you don't have to hold it up, you can set it down and go about your business without it falling and getting filthier and heavier with mud.

They don't make them anymore, it drives me nuts that they don't, just like I am pissed that Asolo quit making their Globaline hiking boots and Mercedes started looking like Camrys. There is no other pack on the market today that compares IMO, I had one for ten years and workers at Sea-Tac stole it along with all of my gear when I was flying to the Lower 48 from AK.

CalebJ
04-14-2014, 22:59
Several people above mentioned the ILBE pack. It's great for heavy loads but had surprisingly little internal volume, closer to 70 liters. Probably not big enough for your puppies.

halldor
05-10-2014, 21:27
It'd check out some of Savotta's external frame packs.

RockChucker30
05-11-2014, 09:56
There have been some good packs mentioned here.

I have owned most of the ones mentioned. Several different Kifaru and Mystery Ranch packs, a McHale, a Canadian made Arcteryx Bora, two different Dana externals, a Bozeman made Dana Arcflex Internal, and several others.

Full disclosure, I'm owner/designer at Paradox Packs. None of the packs I mentioned did what I wanted, so my partner and I developed an ultralight pack that can haul heavy loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogwood
05-11-2014, 12:00
It used to be a large Osprey Aether. Now, depending on my budget and volume needed, a Hyperlight Mountain Gear 70 L hybrid cuben, 85 L Cilo, or custom pack by McHale.

Dogwood
05-11-2014, 12:02
There are two other small manufacturers of custom backpacks I would look into too but that's if I was willing to drop the do re mi. My brain isn't working right now so I'm coming up blank on the names.