PDA

View Full Version : 3 Questions

wdelong
09-18-2005, 17:56
#1 Does having a lightweight WM down bag present significant problem for an occasional night under the stars - get too wet from dew? Or is this mostly a problem if on a grassy area? Or is it helpful to spread some light covering on top of the bag?

#2 I have an I-River MP3 player; happy with its function and sound, but earbuds fall out too easily. Any recommendations for a good upgrade on earbuds?

#3 Handling $: What is generally the most easily accepted at places a hiker is likely to need service or to make purchases (besides cash) - traveler's checks or credit card? Has anyone any experience using check card on the trail? Would simplify things to have it taken out of checking account rather than having monthly bills to take care of...

Thanks for any input!

Hammock Hanger
09-18-2005, 19:40
I have used my WM Ultralite Cowboy Camping under the Star a number of times. I usually lay on tarp of some kind. If it get damp I have always been able to air dry it w/o problem.

I have never had any luck with earbuds myself. :(

I usually have about $20 in cash but most always use my Check Card (debit). You can always get cash from the PO is you can't find an ATM machine. Or use it at Point of Purchase and get cash back. Sue

Just Jeff
09-18-2005, 20:18
I have some earbuds that have a rubber piece that wraps over the top of my ears. Great for running...should work just fine for hiking. I got them at Walmart or some generic place like that a few years ago for about $8.

Alligator
09-18-2005, 21:52
I had earbuds, but they kept falling out. I bought what looks like a regular foam headphone, but with a spring clip that holds it on the ear. Stays on running, no problems. They were $20.00 (Sony), but sound great. Not sure if this is exactly what Just Jeff is describing.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2326559

LIVESTRONG
09-18-2005, 22:27
#1= mine isnt wm, Mine is a MHW spectre SL 800 down bag and it is completely waterproof, they say they tested it in the rain and the guy didnt get wet at all.

#2= I have the I-river too and had the same problems as you did, I bought some earbuds for the I-pod little white things that snap onto the end of your existing earbuds weigh nothing and work really well for me on my thruhike so far. bought them at best buy.

#3 I used my Visa check card almost everywhere that excepted visa, cash on the rest. I usually just would draw $100-$200 out of the ATM when I ran out of cash for places that didnt except cash, most hostels and paying my part of the bill with a group of people. Travelers checks might be safer but I guess it just matters what you wanna do.

Whistler
09-18-2005, 23:17
1-Dew usually isn't so bad that a light wipe with a bandana and a few minutes in the sun can't fix. I wouldn't stress it too much, just be sure to fluff and sunbathe and air dry it when it's convenient.
3-I use a Visa check/debit without a hitch. It's everywhere you want to be.
-Mark

fiddlehead
09-18-2005, 23:35
1/Dew can be a problem depending on the weather and where you are hiking (east coast/ west coast) Sometimes its' best to put my Tvek ground sheet on top of me rather than under if it's a grassy spot like you say and a dewy area. (valleys, humid weather, near creeks, etc.)
2/ don't know, don't carry them
3/ sometimes it's best to carry cash as some of these little burgs have no ATM and the nearest one is too far away and a hassle. I've never had a problem carrying cash. (once i carried travellers checks and they got wet and the word "void" came out on them and it was a real hassle cashing them back in for cash) If you think another hiker is going to rob your pack, i doubt it'd ever happen but you can use it for a pillow if your worried. And you don't need to tell everyone in the world that your doing it, like i just did.

Lanthar Mandragoran
09-19-2005, 12:13
#2= I have the I-river too and had the same problems as you did, I bought some earbuds for the I-pod little white things that snap onto the end of your existing earbuds weigh nothing and work really well for me on my thruhike so far. bought them at best buy.
What you bought probably were the Griffin Technology EarJams (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/earjams/) They snap on to the apple ipod earbuds, I have them and highly recommend them. They sound GREAT.

You can (as you said) purchase them at Best Buy or Apple.com They MIGHT clip to your current earbuds, but i can't confirm that...

wdelong, rather than buying ipod earbuds AND earjams you might look at buying better ear-buds (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_BrowseCatalog-Start?CategoryName=pa_Headphones_FontopiaEarbud&Dept=audio) or phones (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/+INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=MDRJ11G&Dept=audio&CategoryName=pa_Headphones_LightweightSportVertica l) from sony or someone.