PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Gossamer Gear 'The One'

The Kisco Kid
04-02-2014, 18:38
Thank you!

10-K
04-02-2014, 21:19
Wish I had bought several and stashed them somewhere. They are in high demand...

RedBeerd
04-03-2014, 08:01
Out of curiosity, what is so great about this tent? Lots of people want one but there are tons of fantastic UL options out there. Searching for a tent that hasn't been made for a long time seems odd. Any specific reason?

10-K
04-03-2014, 13:06
I think it was like the first 1 lb "tent" for lack of a better word. As I recall it was released about the time the Lunar Solo was peaking in popularity but had nearly the same amount of room with half the weight.

Neat design.

RED-DOG
04-03-2014, 13:15
I don't think you are gonna be able to find this tent it has been out of production for a while know, unless you can find somebody that has a used one and if so it probably wouldn't be worth buying, in my oppinon in todays market their is way too many UL tent choices to choose from than to try and find a GHOST. but it was a great tent in it's hay day.

Just Bill
04-03-2014, 13:23
If you were desperate you could likely find some BPL articles or patterns from MYOG folks who copied the tent. But Gossamer moved on...if it really was that great you'd think it would still be in their lineup.

RedBeerd
04-03-2014, 14:08
Cool! And yep, plenty of UL options. Took me over a month to decide.

The Kisco Kid
04-03-2014, 15:15
Out of curiosity, what is so great about this tent? Lots of people want one but there are tons of fantastic UL options out there. Searching for a tent that hasn't been made for a long time seems odd. Any specific reason?

It weighs *1 pound* It is the only non-cuben tent with this distinction. The lunar solo mentioned in this thread weights 1.5 pounds, for instance.

I refuse to spend +$500 on a cuben tent, particularly as the fabric has a limited lifespan. (I have cuben stuffsacks and that's as far as I will go.)

If anyone knows of another 1 pound non-cuben tent, please let me know.

Just Bill
04-03-2014, 15:32
I do, but it's not for sale yet. :)

out of personal curiosity- What else did you like about it, or is it just the material and weight?
Technically- it was one pound plus a set of trekking poles.
It was not difficult, but it wasn't easy to set up.

It was made from Spinnaker- which was a wonderfabric for a short bit but ended up having issues and eventually being discontinued. I don't recall all the problems but durability was one. I remember reading some threads at BPL with Ron Mauk and a few others about exactly why the fabric was discontinued but I don't recall them. One of the reasons Cuben took off was because it replaced spinnaker (both come from the sailcloth industry).

Mobius
04-03-2014, 16:24
I thought the "1 pound" was also without lines and stakes. It looks like it was closer to 18-19 oz trail weight. Still a very light system though. A Tarptent Sublite is within a few ounces, though the design is different.

I think it's telling that for whatever reason Spinnaker has fallen out of favor.

theinfamousj
04-09-2014, 08:37
I have a The One and love it. It is still my go to backpacking tent. Love.

Mine is actually a bit over 1 lb as I carry it for the trail. Including the weight of stakes. I was carrying trekking poles, anyway, so I don't count them as tent weight.

Setup is tricky. Not impossible, but this is one where you really need to practice ahead of time.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Slosteppin
04-11-2014, 19:15
Are you still in the market?

I have the One...