PDA

View Full Version : Gear List: Feedback Appreciated

pitthiker
04-02-2014, 19:19
Hi all,

After lurking and learning for over a year, I've finally committed to trying a thru! The plan is to go NOBO starting April 29th. Any input appreciated!

*denotes what I still need to figure out

Pack:
REI Flash 45
Trashcompactor bag

Shelter:
TarpTent Squall 2
Cascade Mountain Tech Trekking Poles

Sleep System:
Enlightened Equipment Revelation 750
Thermarest NeoAir Xlite (regular)

Kitchen:
1L aluminum pot
Supercat Alcohol Stove
Aluminum Sheeting Windscreen (homemade)
Mini BIC
Aquamira
8oz fuel bottle (from CVS)
Dr. Bronner's
2 Gatorade bottles
My ol' spork
Knife*

Clothes:
UnderArmor Short Sleeve T
ExOfficio Boxer Briefs
Walmart brand fleece
Columbia half-zip hiking pants
Wind shell*
Poncho
Mountain Hardwear Dome Perignon
Bandana
New Balance MT Trail Running Shoes
Defeet Wooleator (2 pair)
Simblissity Levagaiters

Other/Misc:
Mini Toothbrush + travel toothpaste
50 ft rope
Small journal & pen* (Rite in the Rain or Moleskin)
iPhone + charger
Digital camera + spare memory, charger
AT Guide (loose leaf)
Headlamp
Duct tape (around pole)
Mini first aid kit - bandaids, tylenol, alcohol wipes

Thanks!

pitthiker
04-02-2014, 19:24
Just saw I forgot to put it, but the quilt is 20 degrees

RangerZ
04-02-2014, 19:27
Hi all,

After lurking and learning for over a year, I've finally committed to trying a thru! The plan is to go NOBO starting April 29th. Any input appreciated!

*denotes what I still need to figure out

Pack:
REI Flash 45
Trashcompactor bag

Shelter:
TarpTent Squall 2
Cascade Mountain Tech Trekking Poles

Sleep System:
Enlightened Equipment Revelation 750
Thermarest NeoAir Xlite (regular)

Kitchen:
1L aluminum pot
Supercat Alcohol Stove
Aluminum Sheeting Windscreen (homemade)
Mini BIC
Aquamira
8oz fuel bottle (from CVS)
Dr. Bronner's
2 Gatorade bottles
My ol' spork
Knife*

Clothes:
UnderArmor Short Sleeve T
ExOfficio Boxer Briefs
Walmart brand fleece
Columbia half-zip hiking pants
Wind shell*
Poncho
Mountain Hardwear Dome Perignon
Bandana
New Balance MT Trail Running Shoes
Defeet Wooleator (2 pair)
Simblissity Levagaiters

Other/Misc:
Mini Toothbrush + travel toothpaste
50 ft rope
Small journal & pen* (Rite in the Rain or Moleskin)
iPhone + charger
Digital camera + spare memory, charger
AT Guide (loose leaf)
Headlamp
Duct tape (around pole)
Mini first aid kit - bandaids, tylenol, alcohol wipes

Thanks!

I'm in Squirrel Hill. Aiming for 2017, pesky thing called work keeps me from doing what I really want to with my life.

Kc Fiedler
04-02-2014, 19:59
What are you putting your good in and/or hanging your good with when you need to do a bear hang.

jimmyjam
04-02-2014, 21:06
I didn't see a warm hat like a wool watch cap. Might want a real light pair of fleece gloves or wool liner gloves too.

Labojo
04-02-2014, 21:22
Are you taking some form of camp clothes or base layers? Do you have any blister treatments in your first aid kit or do you plan on using the duct tape? As for a knife, I've tried several and finally settled on the Swiss Army Classic. I love my Patagonia Houdini as a wind shell.

RangerZ
04-02-2014, 21:38
Second on the watch cap, I also have a UnderArmour balaclava, closes off the neck gap and keeps the wind from whistling thru my ears.

RETCW4
04-04-2014, 10:22
Jimmyjam I didn't see a warm hat like a wool watch cap. Might want a real light pair of fleece gloves or wool liner gloves too

Second on the watch cap, I also have a UnderArmour balaclava, closes off the neck gap and keeps the wind from whistling thru my ears.

I believe the Mountain Hardware Dome Perignon is a fleece cap.

Starchild
04-04-2014, 11:21
Instead of wind shell + poncho what about a rain/wind shell (as in one item) For about 1/4 of my thru I used a emergency poncho for both, doesn't look all that great but works and very light weight.

You may consider having some form of 2 pairs of pants, leaving back the underware. I just find it more versatile substituting underware for a bathingsuit.

1 L pot seems larger then needed, but if you are fitting other things inside that doesn't matter much.

Check cooking system for efficiency to make sure pot + stove is a good match, with a 1L pot most likely it's a wide pot so that usually works well.

Use the iPhone for picts.

CarlZ993
04-04-2014, 14:25
I'd add a 2-L Platypus water container for camp. Only having 2 liters (actually, 2 Qts w/ the Gatorade bottles), you won't have much extra water. It's nice to treat your water once when you get to camp & not need to treat any more until you leave the following morning.

By 'rope,' I hope you mean cord. Even paracord is on the heavy side for backpacking. Zpacks & others have nice, lightweight food bag/cord combos. I used one from Zpacks & was happy w/ it.

From a personal preference standpoint, I'm not a big fan of ponchos. I prefer an actual rain jacket & rain pants. In really warm & dry/arid conditions, I often forgo the rain pants. In the Whites & in Maine, a poncho could turn into a sail and float you into another zip code.

Trance
04-04-2014, 14:32
I'm in Squirrel Hill. Aiming for 2017, pesky thing called work keeps me from doing what I really want to with my life.
Crafton here! Pittsburghers represent!

I'll be on the trail April 20.

pitthiker
04-04-2014, 18:01
Thanks for all the awesome feedback. Some good stuff for me to think about.

KC Fielder – I have some silnylon stuff sacks (I think from Walmart) that I use mostly for pack organization. The one I use for food isn’t waterproof, but I usually divide my food inside by gallon Ziplocs—one for each day—and I’ve never had a problem with that system. I forgot to list them with everything else.

No camp clothes, my plan is to strip down to just base layers at night. I did a shakedown hike a couple weekends ago, and it got under 30 degrees and I was fine. RETCW4 is correct that my Mountain Hardware Dome Perignon is a fleece hat; probably one of my favorite pieces of clothing, as it’s cut to cover your ears as well.

Anyone know how long an iPhone 5 will last if it’s on airplane mode and being used as a camera? I’d love to leave one of my electronics behind; feels redundant.

CarlZ mentioned my rope – Definitely could shed weight there. It’s a cheap 50ft cord, but for my purposes seems a little much (plus it’s bulky). I’ve also never seemed to need close to the full length. There’s probably a cheap alternative out there I don’t know about.

Cool to hear the Pittsburghers represent. I’m graduating from Pitt in a month. H2P!

Starchild
04-04-2014, 19:27
Iphone 4 was totally great for picts on a thru, no noticeable battery effect for me.

pitthiker
04-05-2014, 10:37
Starchild - Every iPhone is different, but on average, how long a single charge last for you? Did you keep your phone on and on airplane mode most of the time, or did you turn it on only when you were taking a picture?

Starchild
04-05-2014, 11:01
Starchild - Every iPhone is different, but on average, how long a single charge last for you? Did you keep your phone on and on airplane mode most of the time, or did you turn it on only when you were taking a picture?

Lasted 3 days easy. Mostly on airplane mode. Never off. I Also did quite a bit of trail Internet usage where I would put in out if airplane mode. I would typically set a alarm for 15 minutes in signal screatchy areas so email and other notifications would come thru then
Back to airplane mode.

I ALS had a battery pack that could recharge the phone 2-3 times and never felt hurting do power.

q-tip
04-05-2014, 11:03
I have a very detailed gear list down to the number of plastic bags with weights and costs... If this might be helpful to check yours against, send me a PM with your email and I will forward...Good Luck......

pitthiker
04-06-2014, 17:15
Question - I've been looking at rain/wind gear, and am undecided what to go with. Right now, I'm considering two options:

1. Patagonia Houdini + Frogg Toggs Dri Ducks Poncho (already own the poncho and am pretty fond of it)
2. Marmot PreCip

Obviously the two jackets serve different functions, but what do you think? Thanks! :)

Slo-go'en
04-06-2014, 17:53
You need at least two shirts of some kind. What ever you hike in will be wet/smelly at the end of the day. Having a clean t-shirt for sleeping and town is well worth it. If you get any rain, you want something dry to change into at night. Starting April 20th you can skimp a little on clothes, but not too much. You also need something to wear while doing laundry.

Year round I'll carry 2 t-shirts, a long sleeve shirt, pants and running shorts. In the early spring or fall I'll add long sleeve thermal top and bottoms.