PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Daleville to Harpers Ferry Section Hike this May

Noseeum
04-03-2014, 09:14
Hi, WB. Another WB newb here, finally posting after months of lurking. I will be doing a section from Daleville to Harpers Ferry next month, roughly 300 miles in 32 days. I am comfortable with most of my planning, but could use some advice from anyone in the area or experience in the area about shuttles and resupply.

I am planning on using Amtrak at both ends of my hike. Anyone familiar with the Amtrak bus service to Roanoke from Lynchburg? Only real concern I have is its schedule- apparently it doesn't get into Roanoke until after 10pm. I'd hate to ask for a shuttle to sit and wait at that hour, but my preference would be to shuttle on into Daleville, stay at the Super 8 or HoJos next to the 220 crossing, then get on trail at first light. The alternative seems to be finding a room in downtown Roanoke in the late hours (Google says there is a Red Roof on the north side of the Civic Center), then shuttling to the 220 crossing the next morning.

Second, is resupply between Daleville and Waynesboro as real a problem as it looks to be on the map (and in the AT Companion)? Glasgow and Buena Vista both are some miles off the trail and look like they could take a day to get in-and-out. Has anyone tried to resupply at Montebello? Their website says they have a full grocery, but from the pictures it looks more like a Cracker Barrel than a grocery store. Otherwise, I have been thinking I would need to carry enough food at the start to get me all the way to Waynesboro.

Many thanks!

Odd Man Out
04-03-2014, 09:39
You could take the Cardinal Train from DC (operates Sun, Wed, Fri - departs 11:05 AM, 3hr 44min layover after FL train arrives) to Clifton Forge VA (arrives 4:10 PM) and hire a shuttle drive to pick you up and drive you to Daleville (40 minutes per Google Maps).

Shonryu
04-03-2014, 09:46
There is a Lynchburg/ Blue Ridge KOA phone number 866-883-5228 that has a camp store and fuel. They also accept mail drops so you might just want to send your supplied there and pick them up. A thru hiker I had talked to said that's where he had resupplies.

Another thru hiker I was backpacking with had sent his resupplies to Buena Vista. He told me It was a long trip into town and he hitched in and back out. I could be wrong but I think he said it was about 19 miles. He later met back up with me on the trail after getting lost and hitching to the next parking area. It was an all day affair for him. Im just speaking based on what I was told not from experience. I just know he wasn't happy about the whole ordeal.

Slo-go'en
04-03-2014, 10:08
The Montebello store is mostly snacks and can goods - car camper type stuff and tourist trinkets. The Dutch Hoss used to carry some backpacker staples, but they will be closed this year. Between the store and the B+B, you used to be able to get enough to make it the rest of the way to Waynsboro. There is a PO next to the store, so might be worth bumping a box there.

Glassglow is somewhat easier to get into then Buena Vista. At least it's closer if you go from the Jones river crossing.

Glassglow has a small, locally owned grocery store. Buena Vista has a chain grocery store, but it is a goodly walk out of town and up a hill.

HikerMom58
04-03-2014, 11:10
Resupply is terrible after you leave Daleville. No good resupply until you hit Waynesboro.

Buena Vista is 9 miles from the trail. Glasgow is 5 miles away from the trail- resupply isn't very good there. :(

Montebello has a county store (not a great resupply) but they have decent food that you can purchase there, like hot soup etc... It's a little bit of a hike to get to that country store from the trail.

As far as finding a shuttle in Roanoke? That's what good shuttle drivers do. They shuttle you when you need the ride no matter what time of day or night.

The Super 8 is a great place to stay, it's right beside the trail so you can get up and start hiking the next morning.

Deer Hunter (WB member) and I try to help hikers out with resupply since it's so bad in this section.

rafe
04-03-2014, 11:55
I did a stop at Buena Vista, on my way sobo -- it was my only real town stop between Waynesboro and Cloverdale. I called the local motel in Buena Vista, and the proprietor there gave me the name of a shuttle guy. The shuttle guy took a while to show up... but he shuttled me round trip for twenty bucks. I think the guy lived in his car or something. But he picked me up right on time in the AM to bring me back to the trailhead.

The town is "just ok." Has the bare necessities for a town stop. No proper supermarket, or maybe I missed it.

johnnybgood
04-03-2014, 12:08
I did a stop at Buena Vista, on my way sobo -- it was my only real town stop between Waynesboro and Cloverdale. I called the local motel in Buena Vista, and the proprietor there gave me the name of a shuttle guy. The shuttle guy took a while to show up... but he shuttled me round trip for twenty bucks. I think the guy lived in his car or something.

Contact Deer Hunter, he'll shuttle you. Great guy !

Now that the Dutch Haus is closed this year, things will be different for sure.

Studlintsean
04-03-2014, 12:19
If he is available I will 2nd Deerhunter. He was a lot of help on my (short) section hike in that area last October. Hoping to get down there again early this summer

HikerMom58
04-03-2014, 12:20
Contact Deer Hunter, he'll shuttle you. Great guy !

Now that the Dutch Haus is closed this year, things will be different for sure.

He sure is! :D

Deer Hunter
04-03-2014, 14:39
Nosseeum, I might be able to help you. Your looking for a quick run into town and back to the trail, right? Glasgow has a small grocery store and a Dollar General. Buena Vista has a larger grocery store, a Dollar General and a Family Dollar. Let me know what your looking for I will be glad to help you out if I can. :) Oh and thanks for the kind words everybody.

Almost There
04-03-2014, 15:26
There is a proper grocery store just outside of town heading away from the trail...maybe a mile? I believe it's a Food Lion. I resupplied there in 2006. I would think it is still there, and it was a great grocery store with with ready to eat food, bakery, etc.

We hitched into town, but it's up to you...I would say it is the best place to resupply between Daleville and Waynesboro. If you call a shuttle they'll usually take you to the store first, that's how we resupplied. Hitched to town, stayed the night, and then got a shuttle to the store and back to the trail. Have fun, it's a great hike!

mtntopper
04-03-2014, 16:11
when will you arrive in Roanoke? What is the date?

flemdawg1
04-03-2014, 16:14
There is a proper grocery store just outside of town heading away from the trail...maybe a mile? I believe it's a Food Lion. I resupplied there in 2006. I would think it is still there, and it was a great grocery store with with ready to eat food, bakery, etc.

We hitched into town, but it's up to you...I would say it is the best place to resupply between Daleville and Waynesboro. If you call a shuttle they'll usually take you to the store first, that's how we resupplied. Hitched to town, stayed the night, and then got a shuttle to the store and back to the trail. Have fun, it's a great hike!

Which town are you talking about?

Astro
04-03-2014, 16:23
Nosseeum, I might be able to help you. Your looking for a quick run into town and back to the trail, right? Glasgow has a small grocery store and a Dollar General. Buena Vista has a larger grocery store, a Dollar General and a Family Dollar. Let me know what your looking for I will be glad to help you out if I can. :) Oh and thanks for the kind words everybody.

DH, I have to agree with everyone else, you earned those kind words by just being the great guy you are! :)
Looking forward to seeing you again in July!

RED-DOG
04-03-2014, 16:56
I have to Disagree with HikerMom, On all three of my Thru's I resupplied in Glasgow although a small town but still a great resupply stop for long distance hikers, they have a Dollar general where you can find all of your trail food needs, Pasta sides, Ramen,PB,Oatmeal,ETC, Laundry Facilities, a good Resturant, a motel, plus they have a Dinner and they have the second best Hot-Dogs on the trail and the dinner has a store which also sells hiker food, If you camp or stay in the shelter before the james river foot bridge you be able to hitch into town get what you need and back to the trail in 5-6 hours No problem for a long distance hiker, but it is a tough hitch, and if you can get a shuttle Beuna Vista would be the prefered town a bigger town with more services. The Montebello store is no good not even worth going to the only thing they sell their is snack foods. Good Luck and Happy Trails

ratfaceraines
04-03-2014, 19:23
consider mega bus---stop at christiansburg, va.(32 miles from daleville). hike to harpers' ferry. amtrak to d.c.(union station) mega bus, non-stop back to christiansburg. less expensive, faster travel.

Deer Hunter
04-03-2014, 19:32
I have to Disagree with HikerMom, On all three of my Thru's I resupplied in Glasgow although a small town but still a great resupply stop for long distance hikers, they have a Dollar general where you can find all of your trail food needs, Pasta sides, Ramen,PB,Oatmeal,ETC, Laundry Facilities, a good Resturant, a motel, plus they have a Dinner and they have the second best Hot-Dogs on the trail and the dinner has a store which also sells hiker food, If you camp or stay in the shelter before the james river foot bridge you be able to hitch into town get what you need and back to the trail in 5-6 hours No problem for a long distance hiker, but it is a tough hitch, and if you can get a shuttle Beuna Vista would be the prefered town a bigger town with more services. The Montebello store is no good not even worth going to the only thing they sell their is snack foods. Good Luck and Happy Trails

There is no motel in Glasgow now. Glasgow has set up a shelter of some kind for hikers in behind the restaraunt. I haven't really looked at it. The restaraunt is Italian now, too. Pretty good food, I eat there every now and then. The lone gas station has a small deli of some sort.

Deer Hunter
04-03-2014, 19:34
DH, I have to agree with everyone else, you earned those kind words by just being the great guy you are! :)
Looking forward to seeing you again in July!

Astro!!!!!! Good to hear from ya! Really looking forward to seeing you again.

HikerMom58
04-03-2014, 20:10

You can disagree with me RED-DOG.. no prob. ;)

I only know what I saw the last time I was in Glasgow. I may not have paid close attention. The store, right beside the dinosaur, just looked like they had snack foods. The hitch is tough from the trail and back.

The Montebello country store is wayy overpriced, I know that too.

We need DEER HUNTER!! He's so helpful!! :)

Almost There
04-03-2014, 20:35
Which town are you talking about?

Oops, I was talking about Buena Vista! Deer Hunter mentions it above.

Noseeum
04-06-2014, 21:48
when will you arrive in Roanoke? What is the date?

I expect to be getting into Roanoke on the night of April 27.

Noseeum
04-06-2014, 22:50
Many thanks to everyone for your input and advice. So forget Montebello. And the Dutch Haus is closed this year :(

I probably should have mentioned this in my original post - while I do not have a set schedule, I am limited on time. So my aim is to stay on trail as much as possible.

Since Deer Hunter comes so highly recommended...DH, I am thinking a quick supply run is all I would need and for just enough of the hiker staples (granola bars, jerky, anything instant) to get me into Waynesboro. It sounds like BV would have a little more variety. I am open to any advice you might have about the logistics of making it happen.

Odd Man Out...your suggestion is a good one and I wish that I could make it work. But unfortunately the train schedules do not align correctly for me to get there on Sunday.

Slo-go'en...I have thought about doing a bounce box, mainly for isobutene canisters. But since I can get canisters in Waynesboro (I assume), I have been leaning against the idea- a box would just be one more thing to manage and take me off the trail.

Ratfaceraines...many years ago I was stuck on a Greyhound bus for over 2 days trying to get from Tuscaloosa, AL to a job in Charlottesville, VA. I carry the mental scars to this day. If the bus were the only to get there, I would seriously consider not going at all :p

Deer Hunter
04-06-2014, 23:09
Many thanks to everyone for your input and advice. So forget Montebello. And the Dutch Haus is closed this year :(

I probably should have mentioned this in my original post - while I do not have a set schedule, I am limited on time. So my aim is to stay on trail as much as possible.

Since Deer Hunter comes so highly recommended...DH, I am thinking a quick supply run is all I would need and for just enough of the hiker staples (granola bars, jerky, anything instant) to get me into Waynesboro. It sounds like BV would have a little more variety. I am open to any advice you might have about the logistics of making it happen.

Odd Man Out...your suggestion is a good one and I wish that I could make it work. But unfortunately the train schedules do not align correctly for me to get there on Sunday.

Slo-go'en...I have thought about doing a bounce box, mainly for isobutene canisters. But since I can get canisters in Waynesboro (I assume), I have been leaning against the idea- a box would just be one more thing to manage and take me off the trail.

Ratfaceraines...many years ago I was stuck on a Greyhound bus for over 2 days trying to get from Tuscaloosa, AL to a job in Charlottesville, VA. I carry the mental scars to this day. If the bus were the only to get there, I would seriously consider not going at all :p

Most people come into town from the crossing on Rt.60. I will PM you my number so you can give me a call or text from Punchbowl Shelter (Cell signal is sketchy if not non-exisistent after passing there) so I can figure out when I need to meet you at the 60 crossing.

HikerMom58
04-06-2014, 23:15
I expect to be getting into Roanoke on the night of April 27.

Do you need a shuttle to the trail on the 27th? It's ok if it's 10:30 pm when you arrive. I can get you then.

You can crash at my house, if you want too.

Noseeum
04-09-2014, 23:21
HikerMom, a shuttle from Roanoke on the 27th would be awesome. If we could arrange something that would not be too much trouble for you, I would be most grateful. I can PM you with details.

Teacher & Snacktime
04-10-2014, 00:22
HM & DH....I love watching you guys in action. I suspected this outcome early on. :)