PDA

View Full Version : ULA Catalyst or Exos 58?

sureaboutthis
04-03-2014, 18:45
First off, I've never packed this light, so packs like this are new to me. I'm planning an AT through-hike starting in June, and (excluding the HMW) hope to run well under 30 pounds.

I mention the Catalyst as opposed to the Circuit because there will be times when I want the option of going up near 40 pounds (after my through-hike). I already have an Exos 58, and I've spent from one to several hours each day hauling it up hills while nearly full. It's reasonably comfortable. I haven't put over 30 pounds in it so far, though, and I've heard that doing so isn't a great idea, but that I could take it up to 35 without it being terrible.

The belt on it feels like I could probably break it pretty easily, which I really don't want happening on the AT. Does anyone know if ULA's hardware is better in this regard? The story I hear is that ULA makes great packs, but other than the belt and the volume, I'm not seeing any huge differences. Edit: load limit too obviously.

I'd love the input of someone who's used ULA products or tried an Exos 58 with a load in the 35 pound range.

lonehiker
04-03-2014, 18:55
I've used the Catalyst for years (8-10?). I did replace the hip belt but that was only because I had torn one of the side pockets bushwacking (and Brian replaced it free). I have also had one buckle break on me. That was the sternum strap buckle (replaced for free) Have often carried loads in the mid-30s. I think the pack carried it well. Have never worn the Exos 58 so can't compare the packs. But I would recommend ULA packs. There is a good chance that I will use this same Catalyst on the PCT this year. My other option is to use the Circuit.

Edit: I had requested just that the pocket be repaired but Brian said it was just as easy to send me a new belt. The belt itself was still fully functional. Would add that I really tighten my hipbelt tightly, so have really cinched on it and have no fear that it would break.

nastynate
04-03-2014, 19:45
I had the exos 58. Went to an ohm, which is smaller than the catalyst. That being said, the same gear and weight in the ULA pack carries much more comfortably FOR ME. The hip belt and shoulder straps are more comfortable, the frame doesn't dig into my hips, and it rides nice. BUT, the trampoline back is very nice here in the southeast during the summer.

Coffee
04-03-2014, 21:01
I briefly had a Catalyst before I sold it and switched to a Circuit. On the one hike and overnight with the Catalyst, I can say it handled well with about 30 pounds (I took extra stuff to load it). The quality is top notch in terms of seams, workmanship, etc, just like on the Circuit. I can't compare the Catalyst to the Exos but I can vouch for the quality of ULA products and the customer service, and will say that the Catalyst seemed like a great heavy hauler based on my limited experienced with it.

sureaboutthis
04-03-2014, 22:08
I briefly had a Catalyst before I sold it and switched to a Circuit. On the one hike and overnight with the Catalyst, I can say it handled well with about 30 pounds (I took extra stuff to load it). The quality is top notch in terms of seams, workmanship, etc, just like on the Circuit. I can't compare the Catalyst to the Exos but I can vouch for the quality of ULA products and the customer service, and will say that the Catalyst seemed like a great heavy hauler based on my limited experienced with it.

At 9 oz heavier than the circuit - 8 heavier than my current one - it seems like a reasonable weight. Having the option of a 40 lb load is a big plus for me since I'll be starting in Maine and doing the HMW in bad shape. Might go very slow and end up needing a lot of food.

Or am I looking at it wrong? Maybe just load up the Exos/Circuit with the food I need and hope it works out? I had assumed I would need a pack with a higher load capacity to make it through, but that could certainly be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coffee
04-03-2014, 22:50
I can say that the Circuit was less comfortable for me when carrying above 30 pounds although I've carried up to 34 for a couple of days until eating some food. I personally wouldn't want to carry 40 pounds in the Circuit. My guess is that ULA will recommend the Catalyst if you call them and provide the details in this thread. They are good to work with so a call could clear up some of your questions.

Shonryu
04-04-2014, 01:43
I have several packs including an Exos 46. If memory serves me well they both handle the same weight just more volume in the 58. I think Osprey doesnt recommend a load over 25lbs. If you plan on carrying loads of up to 40lbs I think you may end you with some problems with the pack.

sureaboutthis
04-04-2014, 11:33
Its load range is 20 to 40, with 30 being at the middle.

I'm just going to get a catalyst. The thing is I just found a way to remove over 2 pounds from my base, so that extra 8 oz is fine.

bigcranky
04-04-2014, 21:24
Have you tried the Exos pack? I really wanted the 58 to work for me as a winter pack, when I need the extra volume, but the frame dug into my hips rather painfully. I'm not hugely fat, but I am a big guy, so from that I figured it was made for thinner people.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

sureaboutthis
04-05-2014, 08:32
I have the Exos but have yet to camp with it. I've just exercised with it. The frame is fine for me. I still can't decide.

The ULA pack would be more sturdy I think, but half a pound heavier.

ChuckT
05-11-2014, 07:00
I have an EXOS 58 (large) an am 6-1, 215# this pack is definitely made for a slimmer frame. Maybe it's oriental sized?

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.

Nooga
05-11-2014, 09:25
Packs are all about fit. What works for one, doesn't work for another. I went from a Catalyst to the Exos 58. For me it fits better and I love the trampoline back. With the Catalyst I couldn't reach my water bottles and was very hot. I typically carry the Exos without the lid to save some weight.

Del Q
05-11-2014, 21:35
Have both, prefer the Osprey..having said that I am dealing with ongoing hip and back pain issues, seeing a surgeon this Friday

The Exos 58 is a great pack, lots of pockets, really like being able to stash my rain gear, cold bag, water gear, etc up top or in the side pockets.

Having a much more solid frame seems to help me balancing the load vs other packs where the weight seems to settle to being too low.

I carry 30-32 lbs with food and water, so I guess the issue is more of my back / orthopedic issues than the gear.

Hope I can get my back fixed.