PDA

View Full Version : Chafing remedies?

Raoul
04-04-2014, 15:12
Hey all,

When hiking for more than a day or two I always seem to have a problem with chafing.
I've tried spandex and they seem to make things worse, and baby powder works temporarily.
Anyone have any other suggestions?

HooKooDooKu
04-04-2014, 15:33
There's also chafing sticks... It's sort of like baby powder but I think there might also be a touch of lubricant.

One example would be "Gold Bond Friction Defense" and "Bodyglide".

If you want something small, CVS has Band-Aid Friction Block (http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/Band-Aid-Friction-Block-Stick?skuId=408458). It's $9 for a 0.34oz stick. Pretty expensive for the amount of product you get... but it is a very tiny package.
[Update#2, WalMart.com (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Band-Aid-Brand-First-Aid-Friction-Block-Stick-0.34-Oz./12167313)claims to also have it for <$5... If you zoom in on their website image, the zoomed image is about life-size for the product].

Somewhere here on WhiteBlazes is a real nice article about chafing... but my link to it is at home.
Anyone else got a link to that article?

RangerZ
04-04-2014, 15:59
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?72589-The-Ultimate-Chafing-Article

RedBeerd
04-04-2014, 16:05
Body glide anti chaffe is a life saver.

Oak88
04-04-2014, 16:36
I did use the Body Glide anti chafe but also recommend the hard to find Body Glide liquefied powder (http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11005964&camp=CSE:GooglePLA:11005964:9155602:SOCKS%2fRUNNIN G%20ACCESSORIES&cagpspn=pla&CAWELAID=120138600000198719&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=120138600000329185&cadevice=c). Use it as an anti chafe on your shoulders, groin area and your feet to avoid blisters.

bamboo bob
04-04-2014, 16:57
Body Glide works great, Gold bond friction stick is not as good but OK

CalebJ
04-04-2014, 17:17
Haven't tested this, but supposedly coconut oil works well as an alternative to body glide.

rafe
04-04-2014, 17:21
+1 for body glide. Gold bond is good to have also. (medicated powder.)

Sugarfoot
04-04-2014, 18:20
I have had great success with 1% clomitrizole creme, non-pres ropyi

Sugarfoot
04-04-2014, 18:24
I hit the wrong key! 1% clomitrizole creme, available in any pharmacy non-prescription. It is an anti-fungal and fixes me up overnight. A pharmacist in a little PA town I walked into now-legged recommended it and it is a part of my standard kit now. Maybe it would help you!

Sugarfoot
04-04-2014, 18:25
Oh my! I meant bow-legged. Damned iPhone!

Giuseppe
04-04-2014, 19:30
lightweight merino wool boxer shorts underwear does the trick for me.

shakey_snake
04-05-2014, 00:57
zinc oxide ointment.

It's the same thing as diaper rash creme, but the stuff not branded as diaper rash creme is cheaper.

It's a petrol jelly base so it doubles as a firestarter. Also an effective sunscreen, lip balm, and foot care.

twilight
04-05-2014, 22:09
I use to have a bad problem with chafing too. Body glide never worked for me. I sweat to much when I hike. I found a product called Sportslick that worked for me. Sportslick can be used to prevent blisters, healing minor scrapes and burns and any other minor skin irratation. It is also provides antifungal and antibacterial protection. Sportslick is also waterproof. I use Sportslick combined with a pair Underarmor underwear.(I carry an extra pair on longer hikes so I can wash the dirty pair and alternate them through the hike)

Before bed at night, I do a little cleaning in those special nooks and crannies getting rid of grime or body salt that may have accumulated during the day's hike. I apply the Sportslick to the irritated area and put on my camp/sleeping clothes and head for bed. In the morning the irritation is usually gone. If not I'll apply more in the morning or again sometime during the day until it's gone.

Hope this was helpful,
Twilight

winger
04-05-2014, 22:17
http://shop.dsehealth.com/category/anti-monkey-butt-products/anti-monkey-butt-powder/

leaftye
04-05-2014, 23:24
Reduce body fat
9 inch inseam boxer briefs
Bag Balm, better for day hikes
Ventilation, shorts or look into kilts
Antifungal helps when you're out for multiple days

SunnyWalker
04-06-2014, 09:34
Thanks, RangerZ. That was a good little article. Also, last year I had good results when it started to show with cleaning, Neosporin and Walmart spandex type underwear. This year I am going to try UnderAmour, and Body Glide along with taking Iodine, Nesporin, and Body Glide.

Starchild
04-06-2014, 12:15
Vasoline and if that is not enough duct tape with vasoline over it.

Rain Man
04-06-2014, 16:47
+1 for body glide. Gold bond is good to have also. (medicated powder.)

The "medicated" version may work well for you, but for me it stings like the dickens. Give me the plain version any day.

I also vote for Gold Bond anti-friction stick/Body Glide, ... and like Boudreaux's Butt Paste. Good stuff to keep me from walking like an old, old cowboy.

Rain:sunMan

NY HIKER 50
04-06-2014, 17:02
Here' another one: My dermatologist recommended using antiperspirant, especially between the legs. I use the unscented kind, and the bugs would be attracted to anything scented. It does work for me.

NY HIKER 50
04-06-2014, 17:14
zinc oxide ointment.

It's the same thing as diaper rash creme, but the stuff not branded as diaper rash creme is cheaper.

It's a petrol jelly base so it doubles as a firestarter. Also an effective sunscreen, lip balm, and foot care.

I would not do that. I used that the first time and it smelled like dead fish. Look at the label! That's why I use the antiperspirant.

Violent Green
04-06-2014, 17:44
Sportslick for prevention, 40% zinc oxide for healing. Bonnie's balm also heals it extremely well.

Ryan

SunnyWalker
04-06-2014, 17:54
Got my Under Armour (two). One down, two to go (Body Glide, Iodine.)

RangerZ
04-06-2014, 19:22
Thanks, RangerZ. That was a good little article. Also, last year I had good results when it started to show with cleaning, Neosporin and Walmart spandex type underwear. This year I am going to try UnderAmour, and Body Glide along with taking Iodine, Nesporin, and Body Glide.

There was also a very good (and funny) article that somebody wrote reviewing different methods of anti chafing. The guy sacrificed himself for science. Of course, I can't find it now. Maybe someone else remembers it.

shakey_snake
04-07-2014, 10:29
I would not do that. I used that the first time and it smelled like dead fish. Look at the label! That's why I use the antiperspirant.

IDK what you used, by it shouldn't smell any different than Vaseline, or a baby, if you use the more common scented kind.

sjones503
04-07-2014, 10:45
Body Glide is that a CVS or a Sporting goods place kinda thing?

NY HIKER 50
04-07-2014, 11:18
IDK what you used, by it shouldn't smell any different than Vaseline, or a baby, if you use the more common scented kind.

It was made with cod liver oil. It must have been a very old brand. I bought it at a small town drugstore. I was so desperate at the time I used chapstick until I could get something.

Old Grouse
04-07-2014, 11:51
Does anyone have any experience with Ruby's Lube? rubyslube.com

bannerstone
04-07-2014, 16:21
http://www.pinxav.com/

Pinxav is a diaper rash cream, get it at Wall Greens it's over the counter but for some reason you won't find it on the shelves, you need to ask the pharmacist for it.

David

DocMahns
04-07-2014, 16:33
where are you getting the chafing? Is it on the inside of your thighs or on your perineum?
I ask because I've had both and use two different methods for each.

Gambit McCrae
04-11-2014, 09:07
Body Glide has 100% solved my chaffing problems. Mine were so bad that I have pulled my shorts down to find red skin like remains on the inside of my pants legs. Not fun to have, but body glide will prevent, and medicate if you forget to put it on. Great stuff

WolfCBP
04-11-2014, 09:41
I bought Under Armour Boxerjox. 9 inch inseam. Zero chafing ever again. I would chafe so bad after a 5 mile hike that I would bleed. Zero issue with that now and no chemicals needed. I hope it stays that way. So far I have hiked 17.2 miles without even a hint of friction.

SunnyWalker
04-11-2014, 09:43
Gambit: Please can you tell us where you purchased the Body Glide? Thanks.

Shae
04-11-2014, 13:45
Gambit: Please can you tell us where you purchased the Body Glide? Thanks.

Body Glide can be found at most any running store or Dick's Sporting Goods, Sports Authority, etc. Or Amazon, etc. of course. Good stuff.

squeezebox
04-11-2014, 19:09
What about udder balm ?

leaftye
04-14-2014, 07:34
What about udder balm ?

I mentioned it on the first page. Bag Balm.

Rain Man
04-14-2014, 08:50
I mentioned it on the first page. Bag Balm.

What about udder balm ?

I think "Bag Balm" and "Udder Balm" or "Under Udder" are different products. I purchased "Bag Balm" brand stuff ... and IMHO it stinks. I try to stick with "unscented" products in the woods.

Rain Man

leaftye
04-14-2014, 08:55
Hmm. I didn't know about Udder Balm with capital letters. Bag Balm is an udder balm. Yep, it's smelly, which is one of the reasons I said I think it's not well suited to multi day hikes.

jdc5294
04-14-2014, 12:14
I only got chafing once on the whole trail, and it's because I went commando. Felt fantastic the whole way. I had regular lightweight hiking shorts on, but in New Hampshire I met a guy that couldn't talk enough about Rumney shorts. To look at them and feel them they're similar to basketball shorts but apparently they dry at an obscenely fast rate. Chafing is mostly a moisture-related issue so the dryer you are down there the better off you are. I'd wager going commando in a pair of those would allow a sufficient draft through and let you keep dry enough to eliminate all but the most severe cases.

Cosmo
04-17-2014, 19:58
I found Sportslick sticky and not very slippery. It also had (to me) a somewhat unpleasant smell, which lingered on my fingers even after a soap and water clean up. I like Two Toms Sport Shield for day hikes or short trips. Goes on with a roll on applicator. Body Glide for extended trips in hot weather. Frequent applications to trouble spots over the course of the day.

Cosmo

I use to have a bad problem with chafing too. Body glide never worked for me. I sweat to much when I hike. I found a product called Sportslick that worked for me. Sportslick can be used to prevent blisters, healing minor scrapes and burns and any other minor skin irratation. It is also provides antifungal and antibacterial protection. Sportslick is also waterproof. I use Sportslick combined with a pair Underarmor underwear.(I carry an extra pair on longer hikes so I can wash the dirty pair and alternate them through the hike)

Before bed at night, I do a little cleaning in those special nooks and crannies getting rid of grime or body salt that may have accumulated during the day's hike. I apply the Sportslick to the irritated area and put on my camp/sleeping clothes and head for bed. In the morning the irritation is usually gone. If not I'll apply more in the morning or again sometime during the day until it's gone.

Hope this was helpful,
Twilight