PDA

View Full Version : folding bucket

squeezebox
04-04-2014, 20:47
Does anyone use a folding bucket? Sounds like a very useful tool for 2.8 oz. What about the sil nylon for 1 oz.?

kayak karl
04-04-2014, 20:56
i use one for camping, but not hiking.

squeezebox
04-04-2014, 21:15
Yea !! but Karl isn't every evening when you set up your tent, etc, you're camping, not hiking ??

kayak karl
04-04-2014, 21:24
Yea !! but Karl isn't every evening when you set up your tent, etc, you're camping, not hiking ?? nope, not for me. it's just a break from hiking.

4Bears
04-04-2014, 21:28
I sometimes use a plastic shopping bag, for a bucket, light and free!

lemon b
04-05-2014, 01:21
Never entered my mind while hiking.

shakey_snake
04-05-2014, 02:13
We can pickle that! (http://rei.com/product/758050/sea-to-summit-kitchen-sink)

bflorac
04-05-2014, 04:30
Carry one of these http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/72. I use the 10L.

Use it to carry water from the spring up to camp and then treat water from there. I usually can get enough for evening cooking and to stock up in the morning.

bigcranky
04-05-2014, 08:14
Cut the bottom two or three inches off a plastic gallon milk jug. Instant bucket. It fits like a cap over a stuff sack so it takes up zero room in the pack. Plus it's free if you buy milk by the gallon.

squeezebox
04-05-2014, 08:27
I was also thinking turn it inside out for baths and any other washing, then right side out for carrying water
It would be cool if they put a threaded fitting near the bottom edge so that one could attach a hose for showers or gravity feed water filtering.
I wonder if the sil nylon version holds up well enough, only 1 oz.

bfayer
04-05-2014, 08:31
I take one if I am hiking with groups (my kids, scouts), but not solo. With groups it's worth the weight, just to keep everyone away from the spring stirring up all the mud and silt. If I am solo and I need water to clean up away from the spring or stream, I use one of my ultrasil drysacks and dry it off when I'm. done.

Every tool has its use, so there is nothing wrong with taking one if you think you will use it enough to offset the weight. For me when I'm solo it's not worth the extra weight because I already have something else that can do the job if needed.

mrcoffeect
04-05-2014, 08:36
just my two cents if you get one, get one that stands on its own like the sink model. otherwise you always have to find a spot to hang the bucket style.

squeezebox
04-05-2014, 08:41
I was also thinking turn it inside out for baths and any other washing, then right side out for carrying water
It would be cool if they put a threaded fitting near the bottom edge so that one could attach a hose for showers or gravity feed water filtering.
I wonder if the sil nylon version holds up well enough, only 1 oz.
I just saw that sea to summit makes a shower version at 4 oz. it has a draw string closure, can be used as a stuff sack.
I think I'll put some loops on my bucket so I can use it as a stuff sack.

tiptoe
04-05-2014, 12:45
I carry an older 4-liter version of this, and it's very useful:
http://www.cascadedesigns.com/platypus/bottles-and-storage/platy-water-tank/product

Coffee
04-05-2014, 13:12
Yea !! but Karl isn't every evening when you set up your tent, etc, you're camping, not hiking ??
Andrew Skurka's book makes some good points regarding people who hike primarily to pursue camping activities and people who camp mainly as a byproduct of hiking. I don't think that either category is good or bad. It's just a matter of deciding why we are out there. Personally I camp as a byproduct of hiking so I'm mainly sleeping at camp and don't require many amenities. Spending lots of waking hours in camp makes me restless.

Another Kevin
04-05-2014, 16:03
Everyone has some set of comfort items that make the trip more fun. For me, it's real coffee in the morning and the possibility of a bath at night (weather permitting). So I tote along my coffee filter and my bucket. Excess weight for many, morale boosters for me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Alligator
04-06-2014, 12:18
Carry one of these http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/72. I use the 10L.

Use it to carry water from the spring up to camp and then treat water from there. I usually can get enough for evening cooking and to stock up in the morning.I use this one too. I used to use a 3 liter Nalgene soft sided but went through 2 of them and decided the weight, stability, and capacity were just right for me. I only want to make one trip down for water at the site selected and this works great. You gain time in camp or extra time hiking by saving trips to get water. You may be able to multitask in camp while pumping if you use a filter, like watching over dinner cooking.

For dry camping, you lose the top closure over a bladder but you can pack a shopping bag or a gallon zip lock and put those inside the bucket. Some people just use a shopping bag and a zip lock as a bucket. Depends on your plans really.

You have to figure about how much water you use in camp, what your capacities are, what you'll want to set out with come morning, and decide how many trips you want to make to fetch water. For me the 2.8 oz is well worth it, I have a light weight pack as it is.

theinfamousj
04-08-2014, 09:17
I have the Sea to Summit kitchen sink (10 L) and a gallon size Aloksak. Both stand up on their own when full. Both are wonderful. I carry either depending on other situations of my hike.

I am a camper with a hiking problem, so I love my luxuries such as going to bed after a bath!

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
04-08-2014, 10:48
Since the water source can be a goodly distance (and usually steeply down hill) from where you camp, having a way to carry a gallon of water or more back to camp is indespensable. You only want to make that trip once. Since I don't do water bladders, I use a water sack.

I had been using a Walmart dry sack for a water bag until I lost it someplace. Had it hung from a tree branch and forgot to pack it in the morning. Duh. I replaced it with the silnyon water bag which amazingly will sit on the ground when full and not spill! (but make sure it's level ground or it will start to roll and then spill). I always filter my water from the sack as I need it.

QiWiz
04-08-2014, 17:27
I have used DIY silnylon or purchased light water buckets for cleaning myself and my hiking clothes away from a water source. Part of my usual kit for any extended trips.

ScottTrip
04-12-2014, 11:25
I had a folding bucket in my kit to start at Springer. Used in once and have mailed it back at Hot Springs....