PDA

View Full Version : cotton pj's

squeezebox
04-04-2014, 21:07
I know cotton is rotten, but what about thin longies for pajamas, only in the tent, only when sleeping ??

LIhikers
04-04-2014, 21:47
In the middle of summer when it's 100 degrees and 100% humidity, those cotton PJs are gonna get soggy.
If the trip is just for a day or two that's OK, longer and I think you'll want a different fabric for your sleeping clothes

Slo-go'en
04-04-2014, 21:53
I hiked with a guy in 08 who picked up a pair of pj bottoms early on and still had them when he finished at Kathadin. Get ones with pink bunnys :)

kayak karl
04-04-2014, 22:00
get some Dr. Dentons ;)

StubbleJumper
04-05-2014, 11:26
I know cotton is rotten, but what about thin longies for pajamas, only in the tent, only when sleeping ??

Well, I'd say do whatever spins your starter... But, my preference is to try to carry things that are 1) relatively light; and 2) multipurpose. On this count, cotton PJs fail badly because cotton is heavy and is really only useful while sleeping. I'd rather take some sort of light-weight synthetic base-layer (ie, capilene, polypro, lycra, whatever) that is comfortable to sleep in and that offers some value if temperatures are cold.

But again, do whatever turns your crank...

Pony
04-06-2014, 09:32
I carried a pair of fleece panama pants in 2010. They stayed relatively clean and i only wore them in camp. I also kept a cotton/poly blend long sleeve t-shirt that i wore mostly in camp except when it was cool. After being sweaty and dirty all day it felt great to rinse off in a stream and put on some "clean" clothes. Of all the items I could have discarded because of weight, never once did i think about getting rid of the pants. The mental boost far outweighed the extra weight. I never go hiking without them. Of course when it's 95° and the bugs are out there's just no way to not feel gross.