PDA

View Full Version : Water Capacity

dmath010
04-05-2014, 08:58
I currently use a sawyer mini and am looking to upgrade from the 16oz bag for a thru.

I normally carry a 1L Gatorade bottle (for drink mixes) and a 1L soft platy for water. I also have a 2L platy for clean water at camp.

It's a pain to fill the sawyer bag 8 times to filter all my water.

How much water capacity did you need on a thru?
Should I get a 32oz sawyer bag?
Should I get a 64oz sawyer bag (and maybe ditch the 2l platy)?

Turk6177
04-05-2014, 09:30
I only carry 2 one liter platypus bags and a 20 ounce gatorade bottle that I drink from. With my sawyer, I carry a 64 ounce and a one liter (both empty while hiking) for a back up. The only time all of my water is full is at camp. Other than then, I only carry enough to get me to the next water source up the trail. I actually try to time it to just run dry when I get to the water source. I also "camel up" (drink a liter) at the water source prior to leaving just to make sure I am hydrated. No need to carry extra when there is more water flowing around the bend. When I camp, I try to get enough water for dinner and breakfast and drinking throughout the night without having to make an extra trip back to the water source.

jimmyjam
04-05-2014, 09:39
I use a 32 oz evernew for filter water and (2) 20 oz gatorade bottles and (2) 1 liter smart water bottles for storage. I used to carry a bag/hose but found they can get funky. Now if any of my bottles get funky on the trail I recycle them and buy new ones. The smart water bottles are super light 1.3 oz. Go hiking and try different stuff until you find what works for you.

Wise Old Owl
04-05-2014, 09:43
I use a 32 oz evernew for filter water and (2) 20 oz gatorade bottles and (2) 1 liter smart water bottles for storage. I used to carry a bag/hose but found they can get funky. Now if any of my bottles get funky on the trail I recycle them and buy new ones. The smart water bottles are super light 1.3 oz. Go hiking and try different stuff until you find what works for you.

To clean, I just put a drop of dishsoap, fill with hot water and shake. So far, this has worked for me. I carry Dawn in a medicine dropper for soaping my pot.

squeezebox
04-05-2014, 09:50
Does using aqua muri in your supply bags and in your platy every once in a while, to get the funk out, make sense ?
At first thought it sounds reasonable.

StubbleJumper
04-05-2014, 10:48
In places where water is plentiful (eg, most of the AT), I only carry a liter while hiking. For camping, I fill my 1 liter nalgene and supplement that with a 1.5 liter collapsible nalgene canteen, and those 2.5 liters easily get me through supper, overnight and breakfast the next morning.

If I used the sawyer filter, for the eastern part of the United States, I'd probably go with a 1 liter nalgene and the 2 liter sawyer bag. For the west, I'd add another liter or two of collapsible water storage so that I could make those 20 mile hauls between water sources.

CarlZ993
04-05-2014, 15:58
I'd go w/ the 64 oz Sawyer & two 1L bottles. On my hike, I used a 2L platypus, 2 1L bottles, and 1 half liter bottle (for flavored water). When I made camp, I made sure all were full. Between dinner, breakfast, brushing your teeth, & camelling-up before the start of the next day's hike, I would be down to one liter of water. Usually perfect.

Weather-man
04-05-2014, 18:23
I carry a Gatorade bottle in my outside side pocket, a 22oz smart water (or similar) on the shoulder strap and a 64 oz platy bladder empty in my pack. The platy is for camp water and I fill everything up when I get water for the night. Usually I have enough to start the hike in the morning without having to fetch more water. If it looks like water will be scarce on the day's leg I may carry and extra liter (or what's required...) in the platy.

Odd Man Out
04-05-2014, 18:30
I carry a Gatorade bottle in my outside side pocket, a 22oz smart water (or similar) on the shoulder strap and a 64 oz platy bladder empty in my pack. The platy is for camp water and I fill everything up when I get water for the night. Usually I have enough to start the hike in the morning without having to fetch more water. If it looks like water will be scarce on the day's leg I may carry and extra liter (or what's required...) in the platy.

Very similar to me, but I have two 20 oz Gatorade bottles on the shoulder straps (for balance, I guess) and 2x32 oz evernew bladders (two small instead of one big in case one springs a leak).

fastfoxengineering
04-06-2014, 14:55
I carry a 2L platy which actually holds a good portion more than 64oz's and two of the 1L smart water bottles which actually hold like 33.2oz's or something. Both work directly with my sawyer filter. Sometimes I'll buy a sports drink and hold onto the bottle during dry areas for more water capacity.

HooKooDooKu
04-06-2014, 22:41
I carry a 2L dirty-water bottle with my Mini. The thing I like about the 2L bag is that I can make one trip to the water source with ONLY my dirty water bag and bring the dirty water back to camp to take the time to actually filter the water. If I'm hiking solo, 2L is enough for dinner with enough left over I already have enough to start the next day without another trip to filter more water. If I'm hiking with my boys, 2L is enough to get the three of us through diner with some left over.