PDA

View Full Version : Tick removal

DeerPath
04-05-2014, 09:27
GOOD TO KNOW! Tick Removal: A nurse discovered a safe, easy way to remove ticks where they automatically withdraw themselves when you follow her simple instructions. "I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a tick. "Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20); the tick will come out on its own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away. Please pass on.

Sarcasm the elf
04-05-2014, 09:56
From everything I have read, this is a myth and the method is not recommended.

Per the CDC:
http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/removing_a_tick.html

Avoid folklore remedies such as "painting" the tick with nail polish or petroleum jelly, or using heat to make the tick detach from the skin. Your goal is to remove the tick as quickly as possible--not waiting for it to detach.

Here's the snopes article about the chain email giving is advice:
http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/tick.asp

WingedMonkey
04-05-2014, 10:10
Claim: Swabbing ticks with liquid soap is a recommended method for removing them.
FALSE

http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/tick.asp

squeezebox
04-05-2014, 10:16
The CDC in Atlanta seems to be okay with tweezers pulling gently straight out,

q-tip
04-05-2014, 10:39
Saw a post here for the O'Tom Tick Twister. I don't know if that method is the best or äpproved", but I going to get one. It sure looks easy and seems to make sense not having to squeeze the tick to remove. Any expereice with this gadget anyone??????

turtle fast
04-05-2014, 10:43
Having then regurgitate a little before detaching and backing away to "breathe" is not the way to go. Tweezers....or better yet a tick tool will gently remove the tick and lessen the possibility of a transfer of Lymes Disease or other associated diseases.

squeezebox
04-05-2014, 10:44
Read the CDC stuff about ticks before you buy the O'Toms thing
I decided against. MHO

Corsac
04-05-2014, 10:48
I have used a "tick key" I bought for my dog at the pet store. Works every time so far on him and once on me.

Sarcasm the elf
04-05-2014, 11:27
Saw a post here for the O'Tom Tick Twister. I don't know if that method is the best or äpproved", but I going to get one. It sure looks easy and seems to make sense not having to squeeze the tick to remove. Any expereice with this gadget anyone??????

The otom tick twist the best one I have found. I have removed around a hundred deer ticks using the smallest size tick twist and they have all come out with the head and mouth parts intact (no par of the tick stayed in the wound).

Sarcasm the elf
04-05-2014, 11:28
Read the CDC stuff about ticks before you buy the O'Toms thing
I decided against. MHO

The issue with twisting a tick by hand is that it can break off the head or mouth parts. I have not had this problem when using the tick twister, likely since it grabs the tick so close to the head,

Don H
04-05-2014, 12:44
GOOD TO KNOW! Tick Removal: A nurse discovered a safe, easy way to remove ticks where they automatically withdraw themselves when you follow her simple instructions. "I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a tick. "Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20); the tick will come out on its own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away. Please pass on.

This same piece of advise gets passed around every year. DO NOT DO THIS!!!!

squeezebox
04-05-2014, 12:59
Tick Twister
Does clockwise or counter clockwise make any difference when twisting.

DeerPath
04-05-2014, 14:07
Sorry about the bad info.

WingedMonkey
04-05-2014, 14:10
Sorry about the bad info.

I was hoping you were right because I carry liquid dish soap to bath with any way.

:sun

lemon b
04-08-2014, 06:07
Sevin Dust when on the farm they die and fall off. In the woods deet sprayed right on them. And the burn match head trick has worked for me. Or lit cig. head.

Worst fix was in the Army. Trooper got some on the privites. Used Bleach. Do not put bleach on your nuts. And water makes the burning worse, but the ticks were gone.

Migrating Bird
04-08-2014, 09:08
Tick Twister
Does clockwise or counter clockwise make any difference when twisting.

Does not matter.

I use the Otom tick removal tool exclusively for serveral years and disastrous results using tweezers I have removed countless ticks from my dogs, family members, friends and myself. I have posted many times about the simplicity of using the Otom tool. There are other tick twisters on the market, I own one and it works as well, but our Vet, has them so I get a couple each time my dog goes for a check up. The first tick of the "season" was removed yesterday. It works all the time, no muss no fuss. The ticks always come out alive, with legs wiggling, stuck in the tool. The two sizes are key and easy to use. If the larger one is used on a tick too small the tick will not be removed, it slips when tool is twisted, then the small tool does the trick. Just twist, do not pull and twist. I am not the CDC but they are just plain wrong if they suggest tweezers. Pressure results in body fluids being forced into the wound, if the tick does not come off by picking with your fingers or is not crawling around it is attached. There will be a wound. After removal, the wound will take some time to heal, on me for example more than a week. The bite site will itch, leave a small red inflamed area maybe an inch in dia. (not to be confused with a bulls eye rash, bump and then a small scar. Important to apply an antibiotic such as neosporin to the wound asap.

DMoose
04-08-2014, 09:10
I have pulled at over a 100 ticks off of me and the tick tool and it works but using tweezers and pulling them straight out works best with me. Though normaly I just us the good old thumb and index fingure.

slbirdnerd
04-08-2014, 11:56
I'm reading this thread and considering the ironic nature of Sarcasm's quote at the bottom of his posts...

Ironbelly
04-09-2014, 04:42
The liquid soap thing definitely works, its just not the recommended method due to this method increasing the potential for disease transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk