PDA

View Full Version : Grilling for Vegans or Vegetarians

ChinMusic
04-05-2014, 21:30
I'm planning on bringing my grill to some road crossings in May to treat some of the Class of '14. I know how to take good care of carnivores. I have no idea what things the Vs would want other than my side dishes for the carnivores.

Any simple ideas for the grill.

Meriadoc
04-05-2014, 21:41
Veggie burgers are easy. Morningstar taste good. Dr. Praegers and Amy's california burgers are good too - and I consider them healthier. More expensive though.

Skewers of grilled veggies - peppers, onions, and mushrooms - would be my favorite. Probably the most expensive and most labor intensive.

Meriadoc
04-05-2014, 21:42
Oh, and morningstar has dairy, so they are not good for vegans.

myakka_
04-05-2014, 21:54
I never liked the fake food. When I entertain vegetarians I use portabello mushrooms as if they were beef patties. (first I soak them in italian salad dressing or at least oil and vinegar. Then I grill the mushroom and build their burger with it in place of the patty.

It has always gone over very well. Be advised, if you are going to cook for a mixed group, the vegans won't want their food even grilled on a spot that has had meat cooked on it. so try to keep it very separate for their tastes.

Good for you for trying to be a good host to all. When our vegan friends used to come over, we would just eat the same thing we fed them. It was easier that way, and tasty food so why not?

ChinMusic
04-05-2014, 21:56
Oh, and morningstar has dairy, so they are not good for vegans.

Thanks for the posts. I guess I should only be concerned with the Vegans for this question since they are the most restrictive. Is that correct?

ChinMusic
04-05-2014, 22:01
Be advised, if you are going to cook for a mixed group, the vegans won't want their food even grilled on a spot that has had meat cooked on it. so try to keep it very separate for their tastes.
That would have never crossed my mind. I generally try to have a vegetable side and a meat side anyway, but that was just for portion control.

I suppose that there could not even be meat on the other side when cooking for Vegans since the smoke will cross over. Right? Or not an issue?

myakka_
04-05-2014, 22:03
I don't know about smoke being an issue. Depends on the vegan I guess. But if you are going to do it, bring 2 sets of tongs, spatulas etc. They wouldn't like seeing you flip a dead animal and then their food LOL

Coffee
04-05-2014, 22:05
That would have never crossed my mind. I generally try to have a vegetable side and a meat side anyway, but that was just for portion control.

I suppose that there could not even be meat on the other side when cooking for Vegans since the smoke will cross over. Right? Or not an issue?

It really depends on how strict people are. I have family and friends that are vegetarian (not vegan) and they generally eat at the same restaurants everyone else eats at where it is obvious that the meat and veggies are not strictly segregated. Out of sight, out of mind perhaps? However, I have noticed at some BBQs that vegetarians are uptight about their food being on the same grill. But if they eat at restaurants, this type of thing is going to be the way things are although the kitchen may not be seen by the diners. If having two separate grills is excessive then I'd recommend just having the meat on one side of the grill. People who are uncomfortable with that can choose to not partake.

~Sz
04-05-2014, 22:41

It's not an issue for me, so long as the vegan stuff is cooked on a separate part of the grill. If you do vegetable skewers then you don't have to worry about cross-contamination with tongs and so forth. On the veg skewers you can add tempeh for protein, just cut it into cubes (or marinate it first if you are feeling fancy).

You are a true angel for even thinking of the herbivores!

~Sz
04-05-2014, 22:43
I guess I should only be concerned with the Vegans for this question since they are the most restrictive. Is that correct?

It's true that vegan food is vegetarian by default, so vegan would be all inclusive.

ChinMusic
04-05-2014, 23:15
It's true that vegan food is vegetarian by default, so vegan would be all inclusive.
What other stuff might not cross this omnivore's mind? I suppose certain hamburger buns are a no-go too. And I guess they can't have butter on the bun either.

fiddlehead
04-06-2014, 05:15
Vegans I know don't like lard either.

Avocados are popular (guacamole on burgers anyone?)

I was doing GA one year when a friend went into town and asked what we would like him to bring back, I said 30 McDonalds burgers and then we waited and gave them out to hikers.
There were a few vegetarians who came along but, they ALL accepted at least one burger.
They tend to get less fussy about their diet when hiking long distance.
(this was after only 70 miles I believe at Dicks Creek Gap too)

Good luck.
I was a vegetarian for a year and hiked with many.
They eat pretty good.

lostinfflood
04-06-2014, 06:44
As a vegetarian I think it is very considerate of you in your endeavors. In respect to fiddlehead a dedicated vegetarian would not eat meat even on the trail. Many who describe themselves as vegetarian do it because it is fashionable and are not truly committed. I agree with previous posters who have made good points. Personally I prefer tofu that had been dipped in BBQ sauce before cooking but tempeh is good too. Once again thanks for thinking of others.

garlic08
04-06-2014, 08:09
Hey, Chin;

I wouldn't go beyond the effort of a package of commercial veggie burgers and call that good, and do it all on the same grill as separate as you can make it. I'm a fairly serious vegetarian and I was so damn happy to see a couple of trail angels on the AT doing just that. I was vegan for a few years and speaking for myself, it was too restrictive to expect anyone else to cater to you. A side of vegetarian baked beans, some chips or nuts, and some juice or fruit would be really nice, and all a vegan should expect.

Chicken, turkey or fish burgers would also be nice for those who only eschew red meat (pescetarians or chicken-tarians, whatever), or who are bending their rules only slightly while thru hiking (ahem).

I saw a great cartoon, where an older woman is talking to a peer, saying something like, "When I was young, I was vegetarian for ethical reasons. As I got older, I was vegetarian for health reasons. Now I'm vegetarian just to be annoying." Don't let them (us) annoy you.

sureaboutthis
04-06-2014, 08:16
I'm planning on bringing my grill to some road crossings in May to treat some of the Class of '14. I know how to take good care of carnivores. I have no idea what things the Vs would want other than my side dishes for the carnivores.

Any simple ideas for the grill.

Thank you for making the effort. Most people wouldn't give us the time of day, much less any special consideration regarding our ethical choices. It's admirable of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adamkunzler
04-06-2014, 08:22
I'm a vegetarian and like the idea of a big helping of potato or macaroni salad and something cold to drink. Making it vegan would a bit trickier since you couldn't use mayo (there is a product called Vegenaise that's a good vegan alternative to mayo). Grilled zucchini or similar type vegetables is always good...with some olive oil and salt\pepper. Fresh fruit would probably be amazing as well.

I appreciate you giving thought to us Vs. :0)

Starchild
04-06-2014, 09:10
For me the AT was a large exercise in being grateful in receiving what was offered and challenging my own beliefs of what should be offered. I'm not saying don't offer those choices because its great to do so but a don't knock yourself out if that might be frustrating. You are the angel they are the 'child' of the trail.

Just my humble opinion and "trail angel your own trail magic " applies.

Have fun

perrymk
04-06-2014, 09:15
First, very thoughtful of you.

I agree that many will not want their food on the same grill or handled with the same tools. It might be easier to prepare something cold and have it on hand. Perhaps something like a Hunza bread (made without honey). I was at a vegan potluck recently and one person made a great vegan potato salad. Basically steamed potatoes, veggies, and oil. No mayo or fake anything. Another simple option would be peanut butter (or any nut butter) and jelly sandwiches. If you serve something in which the ingredients cannot all be readily observed, such as bread, have the packages they came in with ingredients listed available for inspection and you will be loved by many.

To be as inclusive as possible with the understanding that you won't please everyone no matter how hard you try, simply avoid fake anything and cook only with ingredients that 1. you can pronounce and 2. have been around longer than 100 years.

I can't imagine that vegetarians accepted hamburgers simply because they were hiking. I spent three years in the army and it didn't occur to me to eat meat. I haven't thru-hiked so can't say which is harder.

rafe
04-06-2014, 10:23
Don't need mayo for potato salad, you can make it with Italian dressing, or just oil, vinegar and herbs. Look up "German Potato Salad" for example. Taste for mayo is kind of a cultural thing. Some folks I know (like my wife) don't care for it at all.

burger
04-06-2014, 10:45
There were a few vegetarians who came along but, they ALL accepted at least one burger.
This is both false and insulting. As a long-time vegetarian, I've known a lot of other vegetarians, including many I've met on my thru-hikes. None of them would eat a burger or even accept one just to be polite. People who eat burgers are, by definition, not vegetarians. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/vegetarian. People can eat whatever they want, but it's arrogant to assume that all vegetarians will eat meat when offered it on a thru-hike.

As for the OP, super cool of you to think about veggies for your trail magic. Like others have said, any kind of veggie burger would be fine. I've been to hiker feeds where there was no vegetarian food offered, I and just ate my own food instead. You can't really complain when someone is spending their own money to help out hikers. I'm also easy to please, and I could probably make a "veggie burger" out of buns + whatever toppings (cheese, tomatoes, etc.) are available.

fiddlehead
04-06-2014, 12:25
This is both false and insulting. As a long-time vegetarian, I've known a lot of other vegetarians, including many I've met on my thru-hikes. None of them would eat a burger or even accept one just to be polite. People who eat burgers are, by definition, not vegetarians. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/vegetarian. People can eat whatever they want, but it's arrogant to assume that all vegetarians will eat meat when offered it on a thru-hike.

As for the OP, super cool of you to think about veggies for your trail magic. Like others have said, any kind of veggie burger would be fine. I've been to hiker feeds where there was no vegetarian food offered, I and just ate my own food instead. You can't really complain when someone is spending their own money to help out hikers. I'm also easy to please, and I could probably make a "veggie burger" out of buns + whatever toppings (cheese, tomatoes, etc.) are available.

Call me what you like.
But each person that came along that day (while we still had burgers) accepted one.
2 or 3 said they were vegetarians but perhaps it was time to give it up.

I'd venture to guess that the further up (or down depending on direction of travel) the trail you get, more and more vegetarian thru-hikers would take the burger too.

Alligator
04-06-2014, 12:38
Definitely kind of you to consider this. Veggie burgers, dogs, and baked beans are all easy as mentioned.

Normally I don't worry much about food prep eating out but for grilling, it is good if you can keep a section of the grill brushed clean and burned off for the veggie section with separate tools (just an extra metal fork can do). Grills are generally greasy and with leftover char and this is often readily discernable. An easy no fuss solution is to use foil which you can even cover the top if needed.

At home we cook meat for guests on the grill, we keep things separate and just brush and burn off the grill when done.

Thanks again for thinking about this!

illabelle
04-06-2014, 12:58
As a long-time vegetarian, I've known a lot of other vegetarians, including many I've met on my thru-hikes. None of them would eat a burger or even accept one just to be polite. People who eat burgers are, by definition, not vegetarians....

Ironic that a "long-time vegetarian" would use the name "burger." LOL
(I'm vegetarian myself, so please don't get the idea that I'm disputing anything you said. I just thought it was a surprising user name choice. Probably a good story behind it.)

Feral Bill
04-06-2014, 13:24
I expect that many people (including omnivores) would appreciate fresh produce in any form as well as grilled meat. Please remember, you are doing a kindness to people, and do not owe them anything. Serve what you want, and people will take some or keep walking.

burger
04-06-2014, 14:03
Ironic that a "long-time vegetarian" would use the name "burger." LOL
(I'm vegetarian myself, so please don't get the idea that I'm disputing anything you said. I just thought it was a surprising user name choice. Probably a good story behind it.)
That was my nickname in high school, a shortened version of my actual name. I still use it in some forums because I like the irony.

QiWiz
04-07-2014, 09:54
Raw or partially cooked veggies can be sliced, brushed with olive oil, and grilled. Raw veggies that work well this way are eggplant, summer squash, tomatoes, and onions. Root veggies like white and sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, and turnips work better if they are partially cooked by boiling or steaming before being grilled.

rafe
04-07-2014, 10:04
Raw or partially cooked veggies can be sliced, brushed with olive oil, and grilled. Raw veggies that work well this way are eggplant, summer squash, tomatoes, and onions. Root veggies like white and sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, and turnips work better if they are partially cooked by boiling or steaming before being grilled.

Add peppers (green, red or yellow) and zucchini to this list. You can add a few herbs and spices to the olive oil, or just use Italian dressing as the garnish.

perdidochas
04-07-2014, 10:43
Speaking as a griller, and not a vegetarian of any kind, almost any vegetable is good on a grill. Get a grill basket (I call them grill woks), and you can cook almost any vegetable. My family likes zucchini, yellow squash, onions, peppers, tomatos, mushrooms, asparagus, garlic, green beans, among others. Generally just put them in the grill basket, and cook with either a little olive oil/spices (salt, pepper, "Italian spice blend") or any salad dressing with oil/vinegar (Italian, greek vinagrette, etc.).

~Sz
04-07-2014, 20:17
What other stuff might not cross this omnivore's mind? I suppose certain hamburger buns are a no-go too. And I guess they can't have butter on the bun either.
There are lots of bread / bun options; the main ingredients to look out for are milk, whey and honey. It's amazing how many ingredients some bread has! I always like fewer-ingredient options and the Ezekial brands are especially awesome but possibly pricey.

No butter on the bun, but olive oil is a delicious substitute!

Wise Old Owl
04-07-2014, 21:01
Well I "began to read this" totally lost interest... Sort of "How many licks to the tootsie roll center...." serious?
I admire the effort...

Here is the rub I "service many restaurants and food establishments in the area." Forget vegans for just a moment. How about Halah? No soup Nazi's huh? My best friend who passed away recently had three slicers $600 a piece was pumping out thousands of hoagies and delivery and still had people walking in and asking them to wipe down one slicer to remove all pork "noise" on it.. that takes an honest 1/2 hour and he refused. He was clear - start your own business and compete - you cant. Too much regulation and lack of money at $7 a sandwich... His family attempted to regroup after the passing and it failed and they sold to the new owners they won't even budge. So there is your sign.

Have a couple dozen of donut boxes and serve what you want. Thats my take, stop wasting your time.
It's an opinion folks... I have some wonderful vegi folks as friends and they are here and sometimes we just need to do the best for a majority... Just a frank owl(at the moment).

rafe
04-07-2014, 23:12
What are you going on about, Mr. Owl? I presume you mean Halal, which is to Islam what Kosher is to Judaism. Halah is a type of bread favored by Jews, eaten at the Sabbath ceremony, or at other times just because it's tasty. The rest of your post appears to be just another tale of victimhood at the hands of the infidels, or something.

By all means feed the hungry hikers lots of donuts. Fried dough and lots of sugar, what's not to like?

sureaboutthis
04-07-2014, 23:27
What are you going on about, Mr. Owl? I presume you mean Halal, which is to Islam what Kosher is to Judaism. Halah is a type of bread favored by Jews, eaten at the Sabbath ceremony, or at other times just because it's tasty. The rest of your post appears to be just another tale of victimhood at the hands of the infidels, or something.

By all means feed the hungry hikers lots of donuts. Fried dough and lots of sugar, what's not to like?

I could be mistaken, but it appears to be some sort of rant against a particular group of people. Hard to be sure what the message is.

myakka_
04-08-2014, 08:12
I am fairly new to this forum but I do see a trend that is pretty sad. Someone starts a thread detailing a particular interest. It might be recipies for certain diets, or in this case a VERY considerate concern to not offend.
A few posts come in that engage the topic, and offer sincere thoughts.
Then the haters jump in and spew out their "opinion". It often has nothing to do with the original post, or at the minimum takes it way afield. Sadly it seems that this site is over-run with trollish children with no real interest other than spewing hate.

Grow up! IF a particular thread is of no interest to you, then move on and leave it for the grown folks to discuss. I don't care whether you understand diets, approve of them, think their rubbish or whatever. I am a fully grown, fairly intelligent adult, as is the original poster. If this is his interest, then he has a right to pursue it.

Geez, stop attacking people who think differently than you. That is the behavior of bigots and politicians. have a nice day!

sureaboutthis
04-08-2014, 08:22
I am fairly new to this forum but I do see a trend that is pretty sad. Someone starts a thread detailing a particular interest. It might be recipies for certain diets, or in this case a VERY considerate concern to not offend.
A few posts come in that engage the topic, and offer sincere thoughts.
Then the haters jump in and spew out their "opinion". It often has nothing to do with the original post, or at the minimum takes it way afield. Sadly it seems that this site is over-run with trollish children with no real interest other than spewing hate.

Grow up! IF a particular thread is of no interest to you, then move on and leave it for the grown folks to discuss. I don't care whether you understand diets, approve of them, think their rubbish or whatever. I am a fully grown, fairly intelligent adult, as is the original poster. If this is his interest, then he has a right to pursue it.

Geez, stop attacking people who think differently than you. That is the behavior of bigots and politicians. have a nice day!

I'm also new, and generally try to withhold judgment and keep things friendly...but I'm with you on that. Frankly I'm clueless why we have people talking down to other people without mod intervention - I also see a lot of accidental/double posts that stick around for years. Srsly, where are the mods?

Why are people allowed to openly attempt to derail a conversation and be rude because someone else does something they don't like - such as abstain from eating something they consider unethical or unhealthy?

Sarcasm the elf
04-08-2014, 08:27
I expect that many people (including omnivores) would appreciate fresh produce in any form as well as grilled meat. Please remember, you are doing a kindness to people, and do not owe them anything. Serve what you want, and people will take some or keep walking.

This was my first thought as well, one of my first purchases in town is always fresh fruits and vegetables and I think that grilled vegetables would he a huge hit with vegans and omnivores alike.

theinfamousj
04-08-2014, 08:30
I could probably make a "veggie burger" out of buns + whatever toppings (cheese, tomatoes, etc.) are available.

As a long time vegetarian (15 years!) I do the same. I used to bring my own veggie burger to cookouts, but then got real with myself over the fact that I don't even like veggie burgers. Since then, I have had amazing literally-grilled cheese sandwiches on burger buns and literally-grilled veggie sandwiches on burger buns.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Tuckahoe
04-08-2014, 09:10
As a long time vegetarian (15 years!) I do the same. I used to bring my own veggie burger to cookouts, but then got real with myself over the fact that I don't even like veggie burgers. Since then, I have had amazing literally-grilled cheese sandwiches on burger buns and literally-grilled veggie sandwiches on burger buns.

which is kinds funny, because as a meat eater, I really like a lot of the veggie burgers and patties. Especially Morningstar. I like Tofurky's fake Italian sausage and kielbasa as well. I tried them out trying to get less fat and cholesterol in my diet and have come to enjoy them. I've come to really enjoy the spicy black bean patty over the hamburger at our cafe at work.

perdidochas
04-08-2014, 10:42
which is kinds funny, because as a meat eater, I really like a lot of the veggie burgers and patties. Especially Morningstar. I like Tofurky's fake Italian sausage and kielbasa as well. I tried them out trying to get less fat and cholesterol in my diet and have come to enjoy them. I've come to really enjoy the spicy black bean patty over the hamburger at our cafe at work.

The morningstar veggie corn dogs are pretty good, as are their Spicy chicken-ish products.

Foresight
04-08-2014, 17:26
I think the rant is if there's someone who's trying to feed you for free then you have no right whatsoever to tell him to clean his grill/knives/platters/spatulas/etc before he feeds you. Instead, you simply need to "thanks, but no thanks" and move on down the trail.

myakka_
04-08-2014, 17:32
But the thread didn't start as someone complaining, it started with a very gracious request for exactly those instructions. The OP ASKED what he could do to please Vegans. So the discussion of what steps would make it more palatable to them isn't them complaining by any means. In fact I believe most of the advice came from those of us who have fed vegans before and only well into the thread did any vegetarians chime in.
It just seems some folks chose to take offense where there was none offered.

Foresight
04-08-2014, 17:37
You are most correct.

sureaboutthis
04-08-2014, 18:38
I think the rant is if there's someone who's trying to feed you for free then you have no right whatsoever to tell him to clean his grill/knives/platters/spatulas/etc before he feeds you. Instead, you simply need to "thanks, but no thanks" and move on down the trail.

Read the original post. That's what he's specifically asking about. There is without any reasonable doubt nothing wrong with responding to that question.

This whole thing is nothing more than people who don't like a certain group of people taking a chance to grief them.

squeezebox
04-08-2014, 18:46
2 recipes you might consider

soy burgers;
1 part pureed soy beans, 1 part oatmeal, 1 part whole wheat flour. add stuff for flavor, garlic, onion, green onions, celery, and spices, fenell seed, curry, cumin be creative. cook 1/2 way on griddle until firm enough to transfer to grill . can make them 1/2 soy 1/4 each flour and oats, egg(s) if you like, helps hold it together.

vegie pancakes.

I ran across a recipe for Jewish potato pancakes,
and thought what about adding other veggies,
so shread some potatoes but also shreaded carrots, celery, onion, zucchini, mushrooms and anything else that strikes your fancy.
add flour as a binder, egg also helps a lot as a binder, to make it burger consistancy
again cook 1/2 way on griddle until firm enough to put on grill

another option cook in slow oven, in a loaf pan, meatloaf style, let cool , slice , finish on grill
consider soy cheese

myakka_
04-08-2014, 19:19
Nice idea on the veggie pancakes. I think I will experiment with those myself. When I have something I like I will spring it on my vegan friends. If you fry the potato cake crunchy, I bet it would be a neat texture contrast inside the bun. Hmmmmm

Wise Old Owl
04-08-2014, 19:45

By all means I am aware of this. Thanks for catching the misspelling. Thank you Forsight - I wish I had put in better terms

Farr Away
04-09-2014, 00:16
I'm also new, and generally try to withhold judgment and keep things friendly...but I'm with you on that. Frankly I'm clueless why we have people talking down to other people without mod intervention - I also see a lot of accidental/double posts that stick around for years. Srsly, where are the mods?

Why are people allowed to openly attempt to derail a conversation and be rude because someone else does something they don't like - such as abstain from eating something they consider unethical or unhealthy?

The mods are here, and most (if not all) posts get read by at least one of us. I, personally, have read every post in the Cooking and Food Forum. It was one of "my" assigned forums, and I've been a mod for a while. As of right now, there are 2,373 threads in this forum. I have no idea how many posts that might be. When I see duplicate posts, I usually try to clean them up, but some days I have less time than others.

Except for the Straight Forward forum, threads are allowed to wander.

We try to minimize our moderating, based on the WB User Agreement. "The overall goal of WhiteBlaze is to allow the open discussion of topics that a person interested in hiking may need to know."

The rest of the rules lay out guidelines on what is and is not allowed. This is subjective, and we know that. Very few posts are going to be read by everyone the same way. Some people may think a particular post is offensive; other people may think it's funny; still others may find it informative; etc. Given that, we err on the side of less moderation. We're (mostly) all adults here, and capable of carrying on a respectful discussion.

That doesn't mean that individuals never get out of line, but we also have a lot of great users on here who put in a lot of time answering questions and helping other people.

-FarrAway

Feral Bill
04-09-2014, 01:13
The mods are here, and most (if not all) posts get read by at least one of us. I, personally, have read every post in the Cooking and Food Forum. It was one of "my" assigned forums, and I've been a mod for a while. As of right now, there are 2,373 threads in this forum. I have no idea how many posts that might be. When I see duplicate posts, I usually try to clean them up, but some days I have less time than others.

Except for the Straight Forward forum, threads are allowed to wander.

We try to minimize our moderating, based on the WB User Agreement. "The overall goal of WhiteBlaze is to allow the open discussion of topics that a person interested in hiking may need to know."

The rest of the rules lay out guidelines on what is and is not allowed. This is subjective, and we know that. Very few posts are going to be read by everyone the same way. Some people may think a particular post is offensive; other people may think it's funny; still others may find it informative; etc. Given that, we err on the side of less moderation. We're (mostly) all adults here, and capable of carrying on a respectful discussion.

That doesn't mean that individuals never get out of line, but we also have a lot of great users on here who put in a lot of time answering questions and helping other people.

-FarrAway. Well said Farraway

sureaboutthis
04-09-2014, 01:38
So trolling's permissible. Got it.

Tuckahoe
04-09-2014, 06:45
Since when is having differing or dissenting opinions on topics posted for an open general discussion considered trolling?

theinfamousj
04-09-2014, 07:47
Nice idea on the veggie pancakes. I think I will experiment with those myself. When I have something I like I will spring it on my vegan friends. If you fry the potato cake crunchy, I bet it would be a neat texture contrast inside the bun. Hmmmmm

If you ever get out my way, I volunteer to be your bets tester. Sounds yum!

Farr Away
04-09-2014, 08:50
So trolling's permissible. Got it.

No trolling is not permitted.

What I forgot to say last night when I was agonizing over my previous post- if you see a post that you believe breaks the WB User Agreement, you can use the report post button. Someone will take a look. It would be helpful if you tell us why you're reporting the post. Sometimes it's not obvious - different points of view.

-FA

squeezebox
04-09-2014, 10:02
veggie pancakes;

they tend to stay soggy in the middle so long slow cooking helps a lot. toaster oven at 300 works well at home. And yes finished crispy is good.

I wonder about a fruit version ? shreaded apples as a base, mashed bananas, peaches, ground nuts or nut butter as a binder. wheat flour sounds wrong. eggs, heavy cream.

myakka_
04-09-2014, 10:58
Since when is having differing or dissenting opinions on topics posted for an open general discussion considered trolling?

I hesitate to go back into this considering the thread is back on track, but...... having a differing opinion is great in an opinion type thread. If I asked "what do you think about XXXX?" or even if I stated "this diet is great! it does XXXX and XCXCX and it is way better than XXXX" Then obviously that is an opinion thread and open for others to disagree or agree.

But spewing hate into a thread that is nothing to do with my opinion or yours.... to use recent example: threads about sharing a recipe, or cooking to suit vegetarians,

no one said they wanted anyone to change their eating habits to conform to these threads, the threads were simple discussions on a specific topic. So to jump in with stupid inane attacks is absolutely trolling by definition.

I would even be content with the posts that said "I don't know how to cook for vegans, so nothing to offer" not trolling, more like a real conversation. Even on the recipe thread if someone said "that doesn't sound good, I would rather eat XXXX" that is fine, even if it is negative. I am not looking for always positive sunshine and unicorn farts, but the measure to me is whether you would do this in a real conversation.

In a real conversation if you were trying to talk to a friend about your favorite shoes, and a third person walked up and told you that hiking is stupid. would you welcome his input or not? To jump in on other people's discussions simply to attack off topic themes is TROLLING. You wouldn't tolerate it in real life, but you happily do it all day online. Rude is rude. And in real life it gets you friendless and ignored. that's probably why there are so many miserable people vomiting their hate speech online.

That is what I was complaining about.

Pedaling Fool
04-09-2014, 15:20
OK, I don't get the veggie pancakes. The ingredients are all meat-free in normal pancakes, no need to change:confused:

One of the ingedients above remind me more of the potato cakes I make, but potato cakes and pancakes should never be confused.

perrymk
04-09-2014, 16:27
OK, I don't get the veggie pancakes. The ingredients are all meat-free in normal pancakes, no need to change:confused:
Pancakes typically use milk and eggs. Even if you buy a 'just add water' mix, the eggs and milk will be in there. It would be Ok with most vegetarians but not vegans.

The more I think about it, the more I think a fresh salad might be as appreciated as anything, though I still like the idea of warming Hunza bread on the grill. Maybe grilled veggies in a pita pocket. Maybe stir some veggies into the Hunza bread dough and grill that.

myakka_
04-09-2014, 16:35
The more I think about it, the more I think a fresh salad might be as appreciated as anything, though I still like the idea of warming Hunza bread on the grill. Maybe grilled veggies in a pita pocket. Maybe stir some veggies into the Hunza bread dough and grill that.

My only concern on this is just the monotony of it when there are great things that can be done. My vegan friends I used to entertain talked about the expectation in catered events that they could just eat a salad. Since grilling the veg adds so much flavor and texture that everyone could enjoy, I would almost do the whole thing with grilled veggies and the Hunza bread. (good idea on that!)

The meat eaters will still enjoy fresh grilled veggies right?

perrymk
04-09-2014, 17:58
When I attend vegan potlucks, no one brings a salad. I suspect omnivores might be amazed at what people come up with. Last time I brought potato patties (shredded potato, minced onion, some flour and olive oil. Baked.) For the annual vegan Thanksgiving potluck I am known for bringing spinach pie.
However, while I've never done a really long hike, from what I've read it seems fresh vegetables might be appreciated. I'm sure anything will be appreciated; I'm just tossing ideas out there.

Vegan chili is also good. It is prepared in its own pot so heating it on a shared grill shouldn't be too much of an issue.

rafe
04-09-2014, 18:37
Good ideas, perry. Potato pancakes are quite delicious, and you can mix almost anything else into them. You can make awesome veggie meals for a big crowd in a crock-pot -- which would simplify carrying and serving. In other words, they don't necessarily need to come from the grill.

ChinMusic
05-10-2014, 22:03
I've grilled at three locations so far. I have cooked for at least 40 hikers. Only one vegetarian and zero vegans.

Dogwood
05-10-2014, 22:23
That is really great of you to think about and include differnt diets in your trail magic. That's double trail magic in my book.

Grilled veggies(shrooms, peppers, onions, etc) grilled separately from the meats and some brown rice in tortilla wraps sound like they could be a hit for the Vegans and vegetarians and all eaters might enjoy the wraps with some added meat if that was their choosing. Some sliced cucumbers and radishes(both great to cool ya down in hot weather), avocados, tomatoes, etc and bagels with a hummus as a spread all might enjoy. The carnivores and omnivores could add a burger or chicken to it and you could satisfy everyone easily. I know I always crave fresh fruit and veggies when I do my town stops. I think some bananas, oranges, etc would go over well too. Some unsweetened iced tea(w/ natural sweetener on the side to be added if desired), sodas, beer, etc would be all the drinks you'd need.

Many thx again Chin Music for the kind regards for all!

blue blaze cafe
05-10-2014, 22:45
Roasted Potatoes and onions in a small skillet on the grill, cover with tin foil, serve with some hot sauce. Easy, vegan, cheap! (Wanna really surprising dish? Add some brussel sprouts in the mix, they blacken nicely in a pan )

WolfCBP
05-11-2014, 11:56

Buns are an issue as well if eggs were used in the baking process. I eat my sandwiches with lettuce as my "bun" when I cannot find vegan friendly bread.

Dogwood
05-11-2014, 12:04
Like the grilled potatoes and onions idea.

Rocket Jones
05-11-2014, 19:45
If you want to do a little pre-cooking, get a big bag of kale at the grocery store, then spread it out on a couple of cookie sheets. Hit it with a spray of olive oil, sprinkle a little salt, then bake in a 400* oven for about 20-30 minutes. They crisp up just like chips and are excellent to add to other veggie dishes or eggs. Makes a good burger topping for us carnivores too.

LN33
05-11-2014, 21:41
I've been lurking around this site for about a year and this thread is the only one that has inspired me to post a reply. I am a vegan backpacker and I think it's very very thoughtful to consider vegans/vegetarians while planning your trail magic. I have to say that I never expect anyone to go out of their way to cook something appropriate for me; at parties etc I usually just eat the salads and such. If I came upon someone grilling up some trail magic I would certainly not be offended if none of it were suitable for me to eat (and there's no way I would take a real burger just to be polite or for any reason). I'm also not such a strict vegan that I would turn down a portobello or a veggie kabob just because it's grilled on the same grill as the meat and certainly not because it has meat smoke on it. Someone else suggested using a separate set of tongs which I do agree with but again, I wouldn't turn it down if you used the same tongs. That's just me. I thought the vegetarian chili was a good idea too---skip the TVP and use lots of beans and lentils instead...or even a tofu scramble with lots of veggies. The chili might actually be the cheapest option.
Again, to the OP, thank you for thinking of us.

Mags
05-11-2014, 22:20
Another person who thinks grilled veggies are loved by anyone. Mmmm..... bell peppers, eggplant, onions or squash coated will olive oil and grilled is just awesome.

Game Warden
05-14-2014, 21:04
Grilled zucchini spears. Quarter, toss with olive oil, pepper, salt, and a dash of lemon or red wine vinegar. Carrots can also be prepared similarly. They can be prepped at home and bought to the trailhead in ziploc bags.

I think fresh fruit would be more appreciated. Grapes, bananas, etc.

Game Warden
05-14-2014, 21:11
Ditto cucmbers. Peel and render them hexpartite. Toss with olive oil, lemon juice, pepper and salt.