PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike: Vermont and NH: Wanna avoid the worst of the bugs....

pafarmboy
04-06-2014, 17:37
Sectioned from NY thru MA last summer and there were days where skeeters had me literally running down the trail. Was hoping to avoid the worst of the black fly season as I tackle VT and NH this summer. Roughly when would the black flies be "mostly" gone? Thanks.

Slo-go'en
04-06-2014, 17:56
July. If they start to get annoying in the afternoon, that is a good sign a thunder storm is coming soon.

twilight
04-07-2014, 19:54
I had a similar question about MA. I was thinking of heading there this spring. I met two guys from MA on my rescent section hike and they told me their rule of thumb is from Mother's day to Father's day is black fly season.

Twilight

burger
04-07-2014, 20:56
I had a similar question about MA. I was thinking of heading there this spring. I met two guys from MA on my rescent section hike and they told me their rule of thumb is from Mother's day to Father's day is black fly season.

Not quite true. More like May 1st to early June, though the exact dates vary with how warm the spring is and how wet the winter was.

BTW, the last day of blackfly season in MA is usually the first day of mosquito season, and that can go into July. My advice: wait til September or October: no bugs, great temps, no humidity, and fall foliage. Summer in MA is mostly crappy hiking due to bugs or healt/humidity; stay away til fall.

lemon b
04-08-2014, 05:18
I'm not one really bothered by insects. We have a pretty good flow of running water right now with the snow melt. Black flys only come out during the daylight. My guess is late season with Blackflys... into 2nd week of June.
Depends on the rainfall. Skeeters are here till first frost. My trick is to take plenty of Vit B-12 and garlic tabs. With Skeeters I seem to be lucky with a normal body temp of 97. Also wind plays a big factor as does a late season frost. Knocks em out. In any event invest the two bucks in a headnet. Ma. & Vermont are worst than NH.

Tron-Life
04-24-2014, 17:11
I'm doing the NY to Vt section and the Long Trail starting in mid/late august; what can I expect mosquito wise? I did this section up to the MA border a few years ago starting in late may and the mosquitoes were horrendously bad. Obviously, I'm hoping to avoid a similar experience this year. when would you say is the optimal time to start this journey through NY-CT-MA-VT?

Jeff
04-24-2014, 17:36
In Vermont most blackflies are gone by July.

All summer long we seem to have those pesky little buggers that dive bomb into your eyes.

Tron-Life
04-24-2014, 17:42
what about mosquitoes?

Deacon
04-25-2014, 06:43
August on the LT is just about perfect. The springs may be a little drier, but you can't beat the weather.