PDA

View Full Version : My 45 mile day

jdc5294
04-06-2014, 18:14
Another little anecdote for y'all, thought it might be cool to talk about some of our crucible experiences on the trail.

I was in Virginia a couple days south of Waynesboro. At least, that's what I thought. There's a hostel in that area, I'm ashamed to say I can't remember the name. They had a TV in the bunk room with Forrest Gump on VHS and for an extra fee they cooked you dinner, and they had a guitar and piano in the living room which was pretty cool.

Anyway at the time I was hiking with a guy named Moses. Moses was a brilliant 6'4" Texas native with the body of a marathon runner, he's going to Columbia Med school now I think. Even though I had a pack light enough that I'd earned the secondary nickname Day Hiker, his made mine look like I was about to climb Everest. I'd been hiking with him for the past week or so and even though I generally hiked a little farther then I would have by myself he was a cool guy and I was having fun. We took up the hostel's offer of slack packing, which helped us complete the next (I think) 24 miles by around 2pm. While waiting for the owner to come with our packs we looked at the next couple pages of the guidebook that Moses had torn out, and as he pointed to the road crossing 21 miles north that takes you into Waynesboro he gave me a look. It wasn't necessarily a friendly look but more of a "if you're really a man you'll do this with me" look.

That's 21 miles with a pack on. After walking for 24 miles. During and after the fact I never regretting deciding to do it, but it was still hard. I liked hard, the AT hadn't really challenged me that much (not that hiking has to be challenging) but a little pain to break up the nirvana was a good thing for me. Knowing we were headed for the same place we took to our own paces, and leapfrogged each other as we took breaks along the way. About 3 miles from the crossing there was a shelter with a school or church group of about 30 staying for the night. At the end of a long day I'm not quiet and sullen, I'm usually talkative and giddy with how tired I am, Moses was the same way. Hearing two guys joking about hiking 40+ miles in a day must have been a little weird for all those people. I mixed myself the last crystal light energy pack in my water bottle and chugged it, and made it at 8:45 to the road crossing 10 minutes after Moses and a couple other hikers who had been ahead of us waited with a trail angel who drove us into Waynesboro.

As we rode in the bed of the truck with a warm breeze blowing over us the enormity of what we'd just done and the inherent weariness set in. 45 miles in a day is pretty cool. We stopped at Subway and gorged ourselves, then got dropped off at the hotel. It turns out about 8 friends I'd lost track of were there, and we stayed up late drinking beer and getting our sanity questioned. After that some of us decided to get our resupply out of the way at a 24 hour supermarket a couple blocks away. Not taking a zero the next day was a mistake, I only made it 7 miles into the Shenandoahs before stumbling into the next shelter. Moses didn't stop there, he was Moses and he also had a schedule to keep with meeting his girlfriend in Harper's Ferry. I think that helped.

CalebJ
04-06-2014, 18:18
Nicely done! Most I've ever done was 40, and that was a LONG day.

Starchild
04-06-2014, 18:34
36 with 34.2 AT miles for me. Day before rain started after a late start out of Waynesboro VA as I got tot he 1st shelter, so took a nap, woke up at night and slept the rest. So very well rested, and motivated by waysides and catching my trail family who left very early they previous day along with a off trail shelter stop for a meal and water, I caught them averaging about 4 mph, just falling off that pace that last 3 hrs.

WingedMonkey
04-06-2014, 19:35
36 with 34.2 AT miles for me. Day before rain started after a late start out of Waynesboro VA as I got tot he 1st shelter, so took a nap, woke up at night and slept the rest. So very well rested, and motivated by waysides and catching my trail family who left very early they previous day along with a off trail shelter stop for a meal and water, I caught them averaging about 4 mph, just falling off that pace that last 3 hrs.

You were slack-packing?

Lone Wolf
04-06-2014, 19:44
in 93 i went from watauga lake to damascus in just under 12 hours. full pack. i ran the last 10 miles. fun stuff

magic_game03
04-06-2014, 20:06
52 miles with a full winter pack all on the AT in 18 hours. 199 miles in 4 days 8 hours 26 minutes all on the PCT. I though I was BAD AZZE…until I ran into Squeaky (2nd TC'er). Dude did the entire Smokies in a single day. Guy was plain psycho. That year he went strait through the Sierras, in June, in a 180% snow pack year. There's a fine line between BAD AZZE and PSYCHO. This dude was so far off in another place if you were standing on that line you wouldn't even be able to see him.

Reminds me of the two Royal Marines who did the '03 winter SOBO. I think they started at Katahdin in late November, went thru the whites in December and I passed them in TN in the beginning of march. I think their names were something like Snowman and Ice Chill. When I meet people like this it just snaps me into a reality check.

rafe
04-06-2014, 21:46
My crucible experience on the AT. Driving with some college room-mates from Rochester, New York to the White Mountains, we climbed Moosilauke via the Carriage road on Saturday. The next day we did the Franconia Ridge loop, up Bridle path, across the ridge, down Falling Waters. Perfect weather both days. That was my introduction to walking/hiking in decent-sized mountains. I had seen such views before, but never truly earned them, as I had that weekend. That weekend hooked me for life.

lemon b
04-08-2014, 05:52
Makes me wonder what kinda miles Ward Leonard did regular. With a full load of food.

Madpaddy
04-08-2014, 18:21
The wife and I were in CT a few years back near the section by Saint Johns Ledges I believe...beautiful spot....we were movin" along at a pretty good clip when a woman went by us like we were stopped...she was literally a blurr..walkin' not runnin'...there one second and gone the next..just enough time to give us a pleasant smile and a nod. Turns out it was Jen Davis goin for the record...we ran into a newspaper reporter at the next road crossing where he had apparently had photographed her. Quite a lady!

rafe
04-08-2014, 19:26
Makes me wonder what kinda miles Ward Leonard did regular. With a full load of food.

Ward did just under 36 miles/day overall (2150 miles in 60 days, the trail was a bit shorter then.) His pack was pretty light, for that era, probably 20 lbs. compared to the 40 that most of us were lugging. He passed me at mile 380 or so and told me he'd left Springer ten days before. I'd been at it for a little over a month. I met him again that fall at Baxter park. What luck. :rolleyes: