PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take to get through Georgia into NC?

Fakin the Funk
04-07-2014, 10:47
I originally planned to thru hike, but my job will not accommodate this journey. I will have about 10 days, plan on 8-12 miles a day. I really want to knock a section out. How much money will I need, and which pack? I have a kelty trekker 65 external frame, an osprey 48 Ace that is actually my girls pack, or my white sierra long trail that is gigantic. Pretty much ruled the big pack out. Thanks for the input.

rafe
04-07-2014, 11:02
Money? That depends on you. Money is of no consequence in the woods, it only works when you stop in towns and stores or facilities near trailheads. So on a 10-day section, how many town stops will you need? (My guess, not more than one or two.)

8-12 miles a day seems very reasonable to me, for that stretch. I don't know the GA town stops all that well but I know that Neels Gap is reachable from Springer in about 3 or 4 days hiking, so you really don't need to carry more than 3-4 days worth of food in that stretch. In fact, 3-4 days is a typical thru-hiker town-stop interval.

As a very rough guide, I suggest getting your total pack weight down to 35 lbs. or less, including 3-4 days worth of food and a quart or two of water. Water is heavy, 2 lbs. per quart. One of the more interesting and tricky parts of long-distance hiking is carrying "just the right amount" of water. It sucks to carry too much, but it sucks worse to be out of water. You can easily live without food for a day or two. Water is much more important.

Slo-go'en
04-07-2014, 11:08
How long does it take? It depends. You can stop at Dicks Creek Gap, 70 miles in, but 9 miles short of the GA/NC line. If you want to go to the actual line, you could continue on to Plumborchard gap shelter for the night, then go 4 miles to the sign and then back to Dicks Creek.

If you don't want to back track, you'd have to continue on for another 30 miles or so to the next major road crossing and those mile suddenly get a bit harder. There are ways to shorten that trip, but you'd have to find a way to get picked up on a Forest Service road.

People typically make two stops, one at Neels gap and one at Hiawassee. Unless you continue on to Franklin, you can skip the Hiawassee stop. If you stop at Neels, spend the night and buy food, you'll need about $50. If you stop at Hiawassee, spend the night and buy food, you'll need $80-100.

Fakin the Funk
04-07-2014, 12:21
How long does it take? It depends. You can stop at Dicks Creek Gap, 70 miles in, but 9 miles short of the GA/NC line. If you want to go to the actual line, you could continue on to Plumborchard gap shelter for the night, then go 4 miles to the sign and then back to Dicks Creek.

If you don't want to back track, you'd have to continue on for another 30 miles or so to the next major road crossing and those mile suddenly get a bit harder. There are ways to shorten that trip, but you'd have to find a way to get picked up on a Forest Service road.

People typically make two stops, one at Neels gap and one at Hiawassee. Unless you continue on to Franklin, you can skip the Hiawassee stop. If you stop at Neels, spend the night and buy food, you'll need about $50. If you stop at Hiawassee, spend the night and buy food, you'll need $80-100.

The only reason I am considering the big pack is because it is so damn comfortable even though it is definitely heavier than the other 2. The osprey is a smaller pack, but it fits well suprsingly. Never hiked with it though

slbirdnerd
04-07-2014, 12:22
My June section will encompass part of that. You can resupply/send yourself a package at Neel Gap/Mountain Crossings (on trail), Top of GA Hostel at Dick's Creek Gap (1/2 mile from trail), and come off trail via Ron Haven's Budget Inn/Hostel in Franklin, NC (call about shuttle service) if you get that far. Shuttlers Joyce and Sally do GA and will also go into NC but you'd have to call or email them for which crossings they can get to for a pick up.

Now, on the pack. My son has an Ace 48 which is a kid's pack. My torso is 18". The Ace is too short for me and I'm betting too short for you. The Kelty might be overkill but if it fits you right and you can't buy something else right now, use that. Just resist the urge to over-pack and fill it up. If you can buy something else, maybe look around 50-55L.

Almost There
04-07-2014, 12:23

Great suggestions! You could also set up with Ron Haven ahead of time if you're willing to pay for the shuttle and get picked up at Deep Gap, or you could take your time and hike down the Kimsey Creek Trail to the Campground and call for a ride from the camp store...but this depends on what time of year to make sure the campground is open.

I think heading for the campground is totally doable in ten days from Springer...I did in 6 days, but killed myself doing it. Take your time and enjoy!

Kerosene
04-07-2014, 12:49
I went from Amicalola to Kimsey Creek Trail in 6 days (3 consecutive 12-milers and then 3 consecutive 18-milers including the 4 miles down to Standing Indian Campground). The last two 18-mile days were lengthy, but not overly difficult. Then again, I found Georgia to be easy relative to northern stretches of the AT.

Almost There
04-07-2014, 13:17
I went from Amicalola to Kimsey Creek Trail in 6 days (3 consecutive 12-milers and then 3 consecutive 18-milers including the 4 miles down to Standing Indian Campground). The last two 18-mile days were lengthy, but not overly difficult. Then again, I found Georgia to be easy relative to northern stretches of the AT.

This was back when I carried way too much weight...I agree with you that if weight is kept under 35lbs this should be an enjoyable hike...based on this Winding Stair Gap might be doable...but I would hate to tell someone this and then have them push themselves too hard...although Fakin...you're younger than I, don't know what kind of shape you're in, but if in pretty good then I'd aim for Winding Stair Gap/Franklin, rethinking it, that is completely doable.