PDA

View Full Version : Lymes

Sandy B
09-19-2005, 20:10
I finished a 15 day hike on 4 Sept, from the visitor center at Amimcola Falls to Fontana Dam. Had a great hike, met some fine folks, finished the section feeling great and planning my next section hike. A few days goes by and I am feeling run down, body aches, severe neck ache ect.. (no rash or bulls eye) and no ticks that i know of. Go and see a Dr. I have blood work and exam. He thinks Lymes disease (so does my wife,RN, who has not let 2hrs pass without reminding me of her diagnosis) and puts me on antibiotics. I am feeling better, still don't have much energy and I am sleepy most of the time. I read some old post and have questions like "if I have had it once does that mean I can't get it again?"
and " How long untill I feel like myself?" input from people who have had Lymes would be helpfull.
Thanks
Sandy

theurbansuburban
09-20-2005, 00:59
I had Lyme disease a few years back after a week of canoeing on the Delaware, had the same signs as you, no bulls eye, just feeling miserable with a high fever. After being diagnosed with Lyme and taking antibiotics I was feeling better and even made it to a week of summer camp after a week of recuperation

hope you feel better and happy trails

gsingjane
09-21-2005, 11:51
When I had Lyme in the summer of 2003, the bite or infection site became acutely infected (red streaks going up my leg, help!) and it took about 3 weeks for that to heal fully. The aches, fatigue, and chills lasted in an acute phase for 2-3 days; I "felt myself" (other than the bite location) in about a week.

When my 13 year old had Lyme this summer, he also felt extremely poorly and had to stay in bed for approximately 3 days. He was back to his old self within say 4-5 days after that.

Good luck to you! As long as you were promptly and accurately treated, unless you are very unlucky, you should have no lasting after-effects. BTW, I believe that you can catch Lyme more than once but you should check on that with your doctor.

Jane in CT

Streamweaver
09-21-2005, 12:06
When I had Lyme in the summer of 2003, the bite or infection site became acutely infected (red streaks going up my leg, help!) and it took about 3 weeks for that to heal fully. The aches, fatigue, and chills lasted in an acute phase for 2-3 days; I "felt myself" (other than the bite location) in about a week.

When my 13 year old had Lyme this summer, he also felt extremely poorly and had to stay in bed for approximately 3 days. He was back to his old self within say 4-5 days after that.

Good luck to you! As long as you were promptly and accurately treated, unless you are very unlucky, you should have no lasting after-effects. BTW, I believe that you can catch Lyme more than once but you should check on that with your doctor.

Jane in CT

2003 was a very bad year for Lyme!! Thats the year I got it also,and when I went to the doc he had 3 confirmed cases and one pending(not including me) that week alone!! I was lucky to get a doctor who knew what to look for and how to treat it quickly.He gave me antibiotics before I even went to have the blood test done.3 weeks on the antibiotics took care of it though I felt better almost emediatly. My symptoms were feverish,chills achy etc feeling like I had the flu and a solid red circle on my side.the rash isnt always in the form of a bulls eye and some never get a rash at all.

On a side note-I havnt seen one tick this whole summer!! Aint complainin neither!!