PDA

View Full Version : Lunar Duo Outfitter

Namtrag
04-07-2014, 15:47
Hi everyone...my wife and I are trying to figure out the pros and cons of getting the $160 Lunar Duo Outfitter vs the Lunar Duo Scout at twice the price...as far as we can tell, they are the same design, but use different materials, resulting in the lower priced one being 1 lb heavier.

Part of me wants to get the more expensive one as we have moved towards getting lighter (just got Enlightened Equipment quilts, and I am using an Osprey Talon 44 this year when I get to start hiking after tax season). The problem is that funds are getting tight.

My questions are:

Does anyone have the Lunar Duo Outfitter? If so, how do you like it?

My wife is concerned that the LD is just a summer tent since it is has no side walls where the vestibules are, it's just mesh. I tried to tell her that since you can cinch the vestibules down pretty far, that the wind in colder weather would be kept out for the most part...does anyone have any experience with the LD in cold weather, and how do you think it does in blocking the cold winds?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Anyone who owns the light LD can chime in as well, as it is the same design.

QHShowoman
04-07-2014, 16:00
I don't have this tent, but...
You may want to tell your wife that virtually all quality "3-season" double-walled tents have mesh inners that are covered with a fly, like the Outfitter.
Tents that are for winter use come with a solid inner.

Namtrag
04-07-2014, 16:16
Haha, I know...but our Big Agnes and our MSR Hoop have walls partially up before the mesh starts. She is just very very cold natured!

My thoughts are that if it's still, all tents will be equally cold inside during cold weather. It's the windy nights where the walls come in handy.

We mostly go from May-December, so no real dead of winter camping for us. Although it gets down to the low 20's in the fall in the areas we frequent.

QHShowoman
04-07-2014, 16:22
Okay, amend my earlier statement to read: "All quality, lightweight tents."

The reason for the mesh inner is to save on weight.

shakey_snake
04-07-2014, 20:20
My thoughts are that if it's still, all tents will be equally cold inside during cold weather.Essentially.

Once heat leaves your sleeping bag, you can count it as lost.

It's easier to fill your sleeping bag with your warmth than the much larger area of the tent.

canoe
04-07-2014, 21:53
get her a 0degree bag

10-K
04-07-2014, 21:54
My thoughts are that if it's still, all tents will be equally cold inside during cold weather. It's the windy nights where the walls come in handy.

Right-o and you can count on as many or more nights with wind that calm nights.

My wife and I use a LD and we love it. Very big and roomy and you can pitch it low.

Insomuch as you're able, site selection plays a big role in this discussion - you can pick a tent site that puts the odds ever in your favor. :)