PDA

View Full Version : Indiana

DocMahns
04-07-2014, 16:53
If anyone read my other post, you know I can't do the AT this year; so I've been looking at other long distance hikes close to home. I noticed that the ADT runs through both northern and southern Indiana and has been rerouted to run close to Crown Point (I live very close to this town). I was wondering if anyone had any information about the Indiana portion of this trail, I'm having difficulty finding trail heads and an actual breakdown of the trail in my state. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

4Bears
04-07-2014, 22:48
Doc here is a link that will likely help you get the info you are wanting, hope it helps. http://www.discoverytrail.org/states/indiana/index.html

4Bears
04-07-2014, 22:54
Here is another: http://www.discoverytrail.org/states/indiana/in_north.html

DocMahns
04-08-2014, 11:59
Thank you! Went ahead and ordered the Indiana map, not as detailed as AWOL, but it should work.

4Bears
04-08-2014, 14:24
​You are very welcome.

Just Bill
04-08-2014, 14:25
Doc-
I haven't been on much of the Indiana section, but I have done most of the Illinois portion. I live a short drive from the trail.
From you heading east sounds interesting, let us know what you find out.
From you heading west- use your car. The section from you to about Matteson, IL isn't the safest area and there is little in the way of camping.
Matteson to Joliet is a nice enough area, but the only real water sources are town's you pass through and the corridor is very limited- nice section for a bike-ride though.
Joliet to I&M canal- again- you're in mainly downtown Joliet, so Joliet(edge of New Lenox) to Channahon is tough (area and walking in the city)
The I&M canal trail is a pretty nice trail, I do tune-up trips there and is a good 60+ miles of trail that passes through smaller towns and has areas to camp. You can legally camp right on the shoulder of the trail, even in downtown Ottawa (Cop woke me up at midnight but I checked out). The I&M canal trail will take you out to Starved Rock area.

Past there is more rural, water gets tight but it's a better bike ride until you get closer to the Mississippi.

Anyway- thought I'd share the stuff that was an hour or so by car (bout a 100/150 trail miles).

The southern loop of Illinois is basically the River to River trail- about 160 miles and a great spring, fall, or winter trip.

Crabapple
04-08-2014, 21:28
Thanks for the info! I live in Illinois, but other than day trips and camping in campgrounds, I haven't really 'played' in my home state. Is most of the trail in Illinois the dirt road or crushed limestone variety you find in the county parks?

DocMahns
04-09-2014, 21:44
Doc-
I haven't been on much of the Indiana section, but I have done most of the Illinois portion. I live a short drive from the trail.
From you heading east sounds interesting, let us know what you find out.
From you heading west- use your car. The section from you to about Matteson, IL isn't the safest area and there is little in the way of camping.
Matteson to Joliet is a nice enough area, but the only real water sources are town's you pass through and the corridor is very limited- nice section for a bike-ride though.
Joliet to I&M canal- again- you're in mainly downtown Joliet, so Joliet(edge of New Lenox) to Channahon is tough (area and walking in the city)
The I&M canal trail is a pretty nice trail, I do tune-up trips there and is a good 60+ miles of trail that passes through smaller towns and has areas to camp. You can legally camp right on the shoulder of the trail, even in downtown Ottawa (Cop woke me up at midnight but I checked out). The I&M canal trail will take you out to Starved Rock area.

Past there is more rural, water gets tight but it's a better bike ride until you get closer to the Mississippi.

Anyway- thought I'd share the stuff that was an hour or so by car (bout a 100/150 trail miles).

The southern loop of Illinois is basically the River to River trail- about 160 miles and a great spring, fall, or winter trip.

That's awesome, I don't plan on crossing into Illinois, but plan on going east. I'm fairly familiar with all the towns that the trail goes through, I'm just worried about the trail not being marked too well. I plan on doing it in sections with whoever will hike with me.

P.S. I love the Starved Rock area, I try to make it out there at least a couple times a year.

Seatbelt
04-10-2014, 08:23
The longest trail in the state currently is the Knobstone in southern Indiana. It is being connected to the Tecumseh by a trail called the Pioneer. The new total is around 140 miles. The Knobstone and the Adventure(by Corydon) trails are the toughest that I have hiked in Indiana--if you are looking for a challenge. The Knobstone has been nick-named the "little AT". Good luck! BTW we are hiking the Knobstone again later this month for a little "tune-up" for the next AT section hike.