PDA

View Full Version : Troutville to James River, May 2 - 4

kolokolo
04-07-2014, 23:12
I'm planning to hike the US 11 to James River section of VA in May, and wondered of it would be best to do it NB or SB. Mostly I'm concerned about the safety of my car, but how safe is the lot at the James River (Rt 501, I think)? I was thinking of parking my car there and getting a shuttle to the South end near Troutville.

Any suggestions for shuttles in this area of the trail?

This will be my first section of the year, and will put me over 800 in total miles.

Hope to see some WBers out there!

Deer Hunter
04-08-2014, 00:03
I wouldn't be afraid to leave my vehicle at the James River parking lot. What time do you think you will arrive if you park at the James River?

CalebJ
04-08-2014, 08:57
Agreed re the James River lot. Should be a good/safe place to leave your vehicle for a few days. I've used it several times.

HikerMom58
04-08-2014, 10:30
I'm planning to hike the US 11 to James River section of VA in May, and wondered of it would be best to do it NB or SB. Mostly I'm concerned about the safety of my car, but how safe is the lot at the James River (Rt 501, I think)? I was thinking of parking my car there and getting a shuttle to the South end near Troutville.

Any suggestions for shuttles in this area of the trail?

This will be my first section of the year, and will put me over 800 in total miles.

Hope to see some WBers out there!

Congrats... 800 miles- Woo Hoo!!

I trust DH and CalabJ's opinion on the safety of your vehicle at the JR footbridge.

I'm doing this same exact shuttle tomorrow for a couple hiking, right now. They haven't decided whether they are going NOBO or SOBO yet. I think I'm going to suggest they do it SOBO. There's not good cell coverage at the footbridge. If I take them to the footbridge, in the morning, then they can call me, without any problems, when they roll into Troutville/Rt. 11.

I think I would recommend leaving your car at the park&ride in Daleville. I could take you to the footbridge on May 2nd. and then take you ( 2 miles) to your car, at the park&ride, in Daleville, when you come in to Rt. 11, Troutville.

kolokolo
04-08-2014, 17:30
I guess I would plan to get to the James around late afternoon of May 1, then get a ride down to Troutville before dark.

HikerMom58
04-08-2014, 20:44
I guess I would plan to get to the James around late afternoon of May 1, then get a ride down to Troutville before dark.

Actually, that would be a better way to hike this section... hike it going NORTH. I just talked to the other hikers, it's better that way.

Deer Hunter can help you out with this shuttle, if you go with this plan. :)

kolokolo
04-08-2014, 21:36
Thanks, HikerMom58 for the info. I think I will go NB.

Deer Hunter
04-09-2014, 01:42

Unless something happens, I believe I can help you out. I will pm you my number.