PDA

View Full Version : Free short Neo-Air

Just Bill
04-08-2014, 09:34
Free sleeping pad (or any gear really)-
REI is offering a $100 gift card with sign-up on an REI visa. After reading the dividend thread I figured this was a good year to add this card to the wallet.

Short Neo-Air- $130- if you haven't already, you can use the 20% coupon on this item, reducing the cost to $104.00.
Sign up in store and buy the pad on the credit card you will get the $100 gift card and another 5% back ($5.20) bringing your grand total before tax to -$1.20.

Best case you pay sales tax, worst case you pay $20 for the membership +tax.

Credit card offer good until 5/31- http://www.reivisa.com/credit/welcome.do

20% off coupon good until- 4/13.

Yes, some of you hate CC.
I love free stuff.

Coffee
04-08-2014, 09:38
Technically, you have to buy something additional with the $100 gift card. You can't use it for that initial purchase so it isn't "free". Still, it could be a good deal for someone buying lots of items at REI.

Trance
04-08-2014, 10:03
I think you have to spend $500 within 3 months to get the $100 gift card.

Have to read the fine print!

RedBeerd
04-08-2014, 10:32
^ I got mine after spending 20 bucks.

Just Bill
04-08-2014, 10:34
I think you have to spend $500 within 3 months to get the $100 gift card.

Have to read the fine print!

4 REI Gift Card Offer: To receive this one-time REI gift card, you must apply for an REI Visa card by 5/31/14, activate and make a purchase with your new REI Visa card within 60 days of card approval. Purchase requirement is met by purchases only; advances, convenience checks, balance transfers, interest charges and fees, credit insurance charges, or transactions to fund certain prepaid card products are not eligible. Six to eight weeks after that purchase, the REI gift card will be mailed to the primary applicant's address. This offer is subject to credit card approval and your new REI Visa card account must be open and in good standing at time of fulfillment to receive the REI gift card. This gift card offer is available only to new REI Visa card accounts booked through this special offer. Existing and previous REI Visa cardmembers are not eligible for this offer.

Just Bill
04-08-2014, 10:36
Technically, you have to buy something additional with the $100 gift card. You can't use it for that initial purchase so it isn't "free". Still, it could be a good deal for someone buying lots of items at REI.

Technically correct.
My use of the word free is a bit liberal, but you get the gist.

10-K
04-08-2014, 11:48
Technically correct.
My use of the word free is a bit liberal, but you get the gist.

If you buy something that costs $100 to get a $100 gift card to buy something else that cost $100 you basically got 50% off both items.

(I know you know that, I just wanted to show off my mad math skills... :) )

Just Bill
04-08-2014, 14:38
If you buy something that costs $100 to get a $100 gift card to buy something else that cost $100 you basically got 50% off both items.

(I know you know that, I just wanted to show off my mad math skills... :) )

LOL, your math is supurb. According to the fine print- you just have to buy something to get the card, not spend $100. Jumping on it now also lets you leverage the 20% coupon.

I can find plenty to buy later, so no biggie for me.
However when I was true trail trash in my younger days; I may have been quicker to point out the more nefarious options to take advantage of this promotion.

Buy a Candy bar, eat it, pay off the cc, wait 6-8 weeks- receive ($100 less the cost of the candy bar to spend on what you want). Cancel the card (or buy gas and stuff with it and let the dividend roll).

Or if you are patient.
Return the candy bar when you get your gift card.
Wait until next year.
Use your $100 gift card and your 20% coupon to purchase an item valued $125 or less and pay only the sales tax.
Or buy an item for (100-state sales tax rate)/.8 and get it 100% for free.

(I just wanted to show off my mad scumbag skills:D)