PDA

View Full Version : Insoles - superfeet super hurt

rubra
04-08-2014, 11:16
Howdy folks!

Long time reader here, first time posting.

Going to attempt my first thru in a couple weeks, and am happy with all of my gear except probably the most important piece - my shoes'

Ive hiked and backpacked in everything from tevas and socks to tennis shoes to leather boots - tried on some Moab ventilators at a local outfitter and as soon as I slipped them on my feet felt so damn good, I decided these were perfect.

THE ISSUE - the guy at the shop recommended superfeet - he helped me pick the right pair and cut them to size and told me they might take some time to break in.. We'll they never broke in, the outside of my heel was falling over the side and rubbing gnarly. I put the stock air cushions in after months using the superfeet and immediately felt relief, but then the back of my heels were very painful when hiking for a few days until my feet got strong again.. what a PITA err pain in the foot..

Long story short I returned those horrid pieces of plastic and I'm wondering what to do about insoles..

I've never had any foot issues until I tried not so super feet, always used stock insoles with boots or running shoes and never blistered or had pain.

Should I stick with the stocks or should I try some other brands like dr.scholls or spencos?

What do the rest of yall use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nastynate
04-08-2014, 11:25
If you don't have foot or knee pain with the stock insoles, there is no need to switch to something else. I can't stand superfeet either. I use powerstep insoles in my work boots and factory insoles in my running and hiking shoes.

Hot Flash
04-08-2014, 11:28
Another one here who doesn't like Superfeet. They're hard as a rock and at the end of the day make my feel feel as if they've been pummeled with a sledgehammer. I usually just use a Dr. Scholl's athletic insert for better padding than OEM insoles.

Damn Yankee
04-08-2014, 11:38
I have a cheap pair of Walmart boots and they had always hurt my feet until I bought a pair of SOLES inner soles and now they feel like new boots. I have been on three hikes since I put them in and my feet are very happy. They are heat moldable or you can just put them in and wear them.

Odd Man Out
04-08-2014, 12:50
This is all very interesting. I was considering some aftermarket inserts at they have gotten lots of good reviews, but may rethink that plan now. I did love my Moabs - felt like I was wearing pillows on my feet, but have since switched to Keens.

Here's a hint. If you get the original grey colored Moab Ventilators and go for a hike in the red rock area of southern Utah, they get this very nice hue you can't buy anywhere. I miss those shoes.

Sarcasm the elf
04-08-2014, 13:08
I've been using superfeet for several years, primarily because they are hard and add an extra bit of protection when I am rock hopping in my trail runners. It sounds like those insoles are simply a bad fit for you, i do have a slight issue with the inside of my heel rubbing against the side if the superfeet and causing a blister, but for me a small piece if moleskin takes care of this.

What I don't get is why so many outdoor stores tell everyone that they need superfeet. I like them, but they're certainly not a one size fits all fix for foot problems.

Please keep us updated if you do find something that works well for you.

lonehiker
04-08-2014, 13:09
I used to get a twinge in arch of my right foot until I started using Soles.

jeffmeh
04-08-2014, 13:24
I've been using superfeet for several years, primarily because they are hard and add an extra bit of protection when I am rock hopping in my trail runners. It sounds like those insoles are simply a bad fit for you, i do have a slight issue with the inside of my heel rubbing against the side if the superfeet and causing a blister, but for me a small piece if moleskin takes care of this.

What I don't get is why so many outdoor stores tell everyone that they need superfeet. I like them, but they're certainly not a one size fits all fix for foot problems.

Please keep us updated if you do find something that works well for you.

I do exactly the same thing. The stock insoles in a pair of something like the Merrell Moab Ventilators is not well suited for the hard granite up in northern New England, and the superfeet provide much better impact protection.

Hot Flash
04-08-2014, 13:37
What I don't get is why so many outdoor stores tell everyone that they need superfeet.

Follow the money and you'll have your answer.

QHShowoman
04-08-2014, 13:47
I had the same issues with Superfeet. I worked at REI and all the footwear guys would recommend them left and right. So I pro-dealed a couple of pairs and my feet would be crippled by the end of the day of wearing them.

So I went to my podiatrist. He said that Superfeet are a lot harder and less flexible than other insoles and depending on your needs, they simply may not work for your feet. He gave me another set of insoles to try and they're much better, but quite honestly, I am just as comfortable hiking without them as I am hiking with them.

calihoofer
04-08-2014, 14:41
I use Cadence insoles and love them! Best combination of support I have found and I have tried them all. I don't have issues but just prefer more support and cushion in all my shoes and my feet and knees are very happy. My shoes and boots fit better too. I know they are also recommended by podiatrists and physical therapists. Worth a look. I used to get them online but now my local outfitter carries them. I don't know if it still works but I used to use cadence10 discount code and get 10% off from their website, cadenceinsoles.com. Highly recommend. Good luck!

sadlowskiadam
04-08-2014, 14:55
I had the exact same problem when I thru'd last year. I bought Superfeet and they destroyed my feet after one day. I changed to Sole inserts. Here is a link: http://www.rei.com/product/721632/sole-ed-viesturs-signature-series-custom-footbeds-high-volume

I changed them out after ever 600 miles or so. I wore them with trail runners and never had any problems, except the usual soreness and pain that all thru hikers experience. Best of luck to you

bamboo bob
04-08-2014, 15:04
I've used Super feet for thousands of miles and expect to use them in trail runners for thousands more. Wouldn't leave home without them. I NEVER trim them just pop them in as a replacement for the existing insert. There goof for maybe 700 miles.

rubra
04-08-2014, 16:17
Wow, so much great feedback!

Thanks for the replys, I'm going to try and grab some SOLES and maybe a couple other inserts and put some miles on them and report back.

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don H
04-08-2014, 16:38
If you're going to use Superfeet you need to chose the correct ones for your foot. In the past I had used the black ones which have a low, or no arch because I have flat feet. If you have a high arch you want the green or orange ones. They now make a copper colored set that have some nice cushioning in them. I've been using those for a year now and really like them. They all do a better job protecting your feet from the rocks.

Also if you read the directions that come with them they say you should wear them for short periods of time until you get use to them.

Only having a few weeks before you leave on your thru and not having your footwear dialed in is a concern. I hope you get it figured out.

Good Luck!

Old Grouse
04-08-2014, 16:46
So one size/brand doesn't fit all? The band played "Whod'a thunk it!"

rubra
04-08-2014, 17:19
Haha, we'll the guy at the shop had me try on a few different sizes, had me stand on different ones while he checked my foot, I figured he knew what he was doing

But I've never had any issues with my feet, so either these things are the devil or the guy at the shop is ;)

jeffmeh
04-08-2014, 17:56
It did take me some time to get used to the green Superfeet, and I wasn't sure about it until I had worn them a few hours a day for a few weeks. Now they feel great.

Hot Flash
04-08-2014, 18:13
Also if you read the directions that come with them they say you should wear them for short periods of time until you get use to them.

Only having a few weeks before you leave on your thru and not having your footwear dialed in is a concern. I hope you get it figured out.

Good Luck!

This is something I don't understand at all. Why would I want to torture my feet for "a few weeks" when I can buy a different brand of insole and have it be good and comfortable the moment I put it in my shoe? It doesn't make any sense at all to choose suffering for no reason.

bfayer
04-08-2014, 18:15
...But I've never had any issues with my feet, so either these things are the devil or the guy at the shop is ;)

Or they just don't mix well with your feet and or shoes. I love mine and they really help with most footwear. I have high arches and a narrow heal, the green ones feel like they are custom made for my feet. The deep heal cup locks my heal in, and my arch is supported well so my feet don't hurt like they do with shoes that don't offer enough support.

Having said that, while I use them in my other shoes and boots, I don't need them in my new Oboz's because they feel fine without them.

Just goes to show that every foot and shoe is different and there is no one single solution for everyone.

HeartFire
04-08-2014, 20:41
I am so thrilled to hear of others that hate super feet (stupid feet imo) - they nearly ended my hike. I started to develop knee pain, back pain, shoulder pain - all as a direct result of custom fitted super feet. I use Sof soles - https://www.sofsole.com/ soft, thick cushy and just all around wonderful.

Spirit Walker
04-08-2014, 20:51
I tried the green Superfeet, and they didn't work at all for me. Much too rigid. I did better with the orange ones, but they are so expensive, I don't usually bother. I've done well with Spenco and some of the other less expensive insoles. With running shoes, I don't wear any additional insole. Either they are comfortable as is or not. If not, I try something else.

Drybones
04-08-2014, 20:56
This is all very interesting. I was considering some aftermarket inserts at they have gotten lots of good reviews, but may rethink that plan now. I did love my Moabs - felt like I was wearing pillows on my feet, but have since switched to Keens.

Here's a hint. If you get the original grey colored Moab Ventilators and go for a hike in the red rock area of southern Utah, they get this very nice hue you can't buy anywhere. I miss those shoes.

After hearing a lot of hooplah about Superfeet I broke down and got a pair...ironic, had to stop in the middle of this post and take my shoes off(w/Supperfeet) because they were hot...anyway, they're a disappointment for me. I couldn't recommend them, especially since they cost almost as much as my shoes.

ChinMusic
04-08-2014, 21:36
\
I've never had any foot issues until I tried not so super feet, always used stock insoles with boots or running shoes and never blistered or had pain.

Should I stick with the stocks or should I try some other brands like dr.scholls or spencos?

Why were you making changes if, "I've never had any foot issues .... always used stock insoles with boots or running shoes and never blistered or had pain."?

I use and love Superfeet. It is common to be sore in the arch if you are not used to good support. I was sore for my first couple hikes with them. Not anymore.

I chose to buy some new Superfeet once I made it to VT on my thru last year. I was concerned that new ones would hurt and kept my old ones with me just in case my old ones had lost that much support after a couple thousand miles. The new ones worked out just fine.

sparkygeek
04-09-2014, 14:25
I've been using the pink super feet (like the green but for smaller women feet), and I really want to like them but they just don't provide the arch support I am hoping for. It barely touches my arches even when I'm standing on one foot. They're advertised as being for high arches, but that claim is a little exaggerated.

Don H
04-09-2014, 15:06
This is something I don't understand at all. Why would I want to torture my feet for "a few weeks" when I can buy a different brand of insole and have it be good and comfortable the moment I put it in my shoe? It doesn't make any sense at all to choose suffering for no reason.

Well of course you wouldn't want to torture your feet, maybe you don't need them. There are many people who need some additional support and Superfeet fill that need. I've known people to ditch their expensive custom made orthotics for Superfeet with great results. What doesn't make sense to you might be just the help someone else needs.

lonehiker
04-09-2014, 15:08
Well of course you wouldn't want to torture your feet, maybe you don't need them. There are many people who need some additional support and Superfeet fill that need. I've known people to ditch their expensive custom made orthotics for Superfeet with great results. What doesn't make sense to you might be just the help someone else needs.

You missed her point.

1azarus
04-09-2014, 17:13
I am a superfeet fan, BUT I discovered the hard way that there are different heel widths, depending on the color of the superfeet. the orange superfeet have the widest heel bed. I had the trouble you described with green superfeet, suffered along for quite a while with the wrong superfeet for me, then switched to the orange superfeet years ago. having said that, it shouldn't be that big a deal... use whatever works for you. umm... I must be on my fifth or sixth pair by now!

HeartFire
04-09-2014, 17:33
Why were you making changes if, "I've never had any foot issues .... always used stock insoles with boots or running shoes and never blistered or had pain."?.

Shoe sales people at outfitters are really good at selling super feet insoles - that's how I ended up with them. I imagine the reps are a lot like pharmaceutical reps - putting a really good sales spin, and perhaps kick backs - This is just from my medical background as a nurse practitioner. I have absolutely no proof in any way shape or form that this is the deal.

Odd Man Out
04-09-2014, 17:35
Shoe sales people at outfitters are really good at selling super feet insoles - that's how I ended up with them. I imagine the reps are a lot like pharmaceutical reps - putting a really good sales spin, and perhaps kick backs - This is just from my medical background as a nurse practitioner. I have absolutely no proof in any way shape or form that this is the deal.

Selling backpacking gear is a tough business. In theory, they should be selling you as little as possible, since that is what backpackers should carry. In reality....?

ChinMusic
04-09-2014, 18:08
I see your point and agree. I think we are all bombarded with sales pitches on many aspect of life, not just footware.

If I knew from experience that I had my feet "dialed in" I am not letting any salesperson talk me into something. I had a salesperson in VT try to talk me into boots to replace my trail runners. I didn't want boots since I had 1000s of miles with trail runners with no issues. She still tried to tell me I "needed" more support. I politely declined.

Don H
04-09-2014, 18:08

Superfeet has a 60 day return policy if you don't like them.

Don H
04-09-2014, 18:16
You missed her point.

No I get it. If you're good with your footwear you shouldn't let someone talk you into changing. My point is they work for some people.

If you want to try Superfeet you can wear them hiking every day for two months. Use them on the trail in the mud and dust then send them back if they don't work for you. Wonder if I can do that with my new ultra light silnylon tent?

bfayer
04-09-2014, 18:34
No I get it. If you're good with your footwear you shouldn't let someone talk you into changing. My point is they work for some people.

If you want to try Superfeet you can wear them hiking every day for two months. Use them on the trail in the mud and dust then send them back if they don't work for you. Wonder if I can do that with my new ultra light silnylon tent?

I'm with you on everything you said up to the last point about the tent. I just don't see the need to go in that direction in this thread. On the Superfeet however, I agree completely.

My podiatrist told me that he was surprised that more people in this world don't complain about their shoes. He says that feet vary from person to person more than most any other part of the body. I tend to believe him with all the trouble I have finding shoes that fit well.

By the way, custom orthotics hurt my feet for a week or so when I first got them too.

HeartFire
04-09-2014, 21:25

Yes, I did return my super feet insloles. As for the tent, if you bought it from a big box store like REI, then yes, you can return it. If you bought it from a small down home cottage gear shop like me, then no. I cannot afford that kind of loss. I am making EVERYTHING here in North Carolina now (I do still have about 10 tents left that were made in China, ) but after they are sold, everything is made here in the USA. I do not have the deep pockets of REI or what ever company makes Super feet. I've also only ever had one person try and return a tent after a few hundred miles. My tents don't make your feet hurt more, they lighten your load so your feet hurt less.:)

rafe
04-09-2014, 22:14
Almost like the never-ending hiking poles "controversy." Some folks swear by them, others say they're just marketing hype. I use hiking poles but never saw the need for superfeet. I already have superfeet, they're attached to my not-so superlegs. Imagine the markup on these things...

None yet
04-09-2014, 22:23
The shoe guy gave the green super feet for me to try - horrid! I have been on the AT for a week with the Blue Superfeet in trail runners - 75 mi and no blisters/hot spots. Several hikers around me favor Dr. Shols. Keep what you have if that worked

nu2hike
04-09-2014, 22:37
I've tried the green Superfeet in the past with my boots! They worked great! When I switched to trail runners I found that they raise my heel up so much that my shoe slips on my foot causing blisters on my heels! Do they make a pair that doesn't take up so much volume in your shoe?

bfayer
04-10-2014, 06:34
I've tried the green Superfeet in the past with my boots! They worked great! When I switched to trail runners I found that they raise my heel up so much that my shoe slips on my foot causing blisters on my heels! Do they make a pair that doesn't take up so much volume in your shoe?

The black ones are supposed to be the lowest volume ones, but I have never used them. The light blue ones are medium volume but have a higher arch. A lot of the fit has to do with the shoe or boot not just the insole.

ballen35763
04-10-2014, 17:37
New member first post. I have flat narrow feet and found that blue superfeet worked great for me in a pair of Asolo Fugitive GTX boots. The same inserts in my Inov-8 Flite 230s gave me lower back pain in 20 minutes. There have been some threads posted in the past that the ridges iunder the heel in Blue Superfeet will cut Gore Tex linings. As with most things in life, YMMV.

googlywoogly
04-10-2014, 17:42
Count me among the super feet dislikers. I tried them when I bought a pair of LaSportiva Wildcats. My feet were miserable while I tried them out. When I removed them and put the stock insoles back into the Sportivas all was right with the world. REI's return policy rocks. I half expect them to balk at giving me my money back. I put about 50ish miles on the superfeet before bailing on them. (I really wanted them to work).

Vthiker77
04-11-2014, 05:41
I use my own version of superfeet. They're called my lambofeeties attached to my chevrolegs, wrapped in merrell trail gloves. I use what Mother Nature gave me :)

devil dog
04-12-2014, 11:11
Just ordered some Cadence inserts. I will be sure to report back. I have been in such pain for YEARS and have tried Superfeet, custom orthotics ... GOD! I hope this makes a difference ...

MuddyWaters
04-12-2014, 16:32
Your feet WILL mold to a hard arch support. It will be uncomfortable while doing so. It will take many weeks. Once your foot molds to it, you wont feel it any more. Superfeet arent something you put in your shoe and go walk for a couple days. You need to wear them for maybe 2 months + before you will begin to appreciate them.

CalebJ
04-12-2014, 16:34
But -why- would you do that?

ChinMusic
04-12-2014, 16:57

I know I wouldn't have given it that long. I was tender in my arches for first couple hikes but it wasn't torture.

MuddyWaters
04-12-2014, 22:13

How about because once your foot gets used to that insole, every pair of shoes will fit exactly the same?

MuddyWaters
04-12-2014, 22:14
double post

Sarcasm the elf
04-12-2014, 22:20
How about because once your foot gets used to that insole, every pair of shoes will fit exactly the same?

For me, the superfeet provide excellent protection when hiking/running rocky trails in New England. They make trailrunners feel like boots when plowing through creek-beds and boulder fields. Best part is you only have to get used to them once, I just switch them between shoes depending on the seasons..

shakey_snake
04-14-2014, 01:27
The undercoating suggested by my car sales sure has done a great job for me!

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.

Insoles are an add-on purchase pushed by shoe salesmen. They may in fact "work" for some people, but the goal is to sell a lot more than people actually need.

I mean, are people particularly dissatisfied with stock insoles?-- no. they don't really have any idea. And why would I ever even want to by shoes that I need to buy a replacement insole for? Is he selling me a crappy shoe? Maybe Mr. Salesman isn't such an expert to begin with if he's selling crappy shoes!

Shonryu
04-14-2014, 02:05
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Montrail Enduro Sole inserts. I cant say enough good things about them.

The Tourist 86
04-14-2014, 03:38
I share your frustration. I too find it difficult to find a comfortable insole. However, I've found some luck with Your SOLE insoles. The are heat moldable and provide a decent amount of arch support, more than the Superfeet. I even have the Birkenstock blue insoles for my running shoes and they are tremendously comfortable. These too have very prominent arch support.

Certainly, insoles can take some getting used to. But, if they hurt that bad chances are they will never be comfortable.

WorldPeaceAndStuff
04-14-2014, 08:51
My stock insoles wore out in my boots and I bought green superfeet. I wore them several times before I finally could stand to keep them in and still don't like them that much. I suspect the SOLEs or Montrail Enduro Soles are much better. All I needed was more cushioning anyway.

ChuckT
04-14-2014, 11:23
I tried the orange Super feet insoles and _didn't_ like them. But! What struck me the most was that neither the display, the Web page, nor the actual box gave me enough information to make an informed choice. This discussion contain 100% more information than I have seen before.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.

UofWHusky
04-16-2014, 14:33
If the sides of your heels are rubbing the tops of your insoles it may be the insoles are the wrong size. I was just reading the info sheet in a pair of Superfeet copper insoles and they say that if your heels extend wider than the insole you should go up one letter size insole. Besides being longer, the next size up is wider in the heel cup. I went from E to an F in my Oboz and my feet feel more comfortable. Only a few miles on the combo but I believe this will work well on the trail later this summer.

5th
04-21-2014, 17:45
I had a horrible experience with green superfeet. I followed all the suggestions and gave them months of daily wear. I was fine for everyday walking, but when I went hiking they destroyed my feet. And I do mean destroyed. That last time I limped home with serious forefoot issues that took a month to recover from well enough to walk without wincing. No more for me.

I suspect it was the arch. It felt like it was way too far back for my feet. In any case, after all that time with the balls of my feet swollen and painful, I'm not going back.

I'm sure they are fine if they are a match for the shape of your feet. I'm doing better now with stock insoles.

jeffmeh
04-21-2014, 19:46
Just like a pair of shoes or boots, whether or not an insole fits depends upon one's foot. While a shoe/boot/insole can work for a range of anatomical structures, if your foot is outside that range you will likely do more harm than good. Some period of acclimation is reasonable, but after that if it is not comfortable try something else.

ChuckT
04-21-2014, 21:07
I heard, this last weekend, an ad for Redwing Shoe Stores (I have no relationship with them, however if they wish to pay me ...). Seems like they've got some sort of apparatus to measure a foot on all sides. This supposedly includes the volume and shape of the space that an insole occupies. I have _nothing_ that says that assertion is accurate or Mad Men fluff. But it seems to me that a would be do able.
Expensive up front obviously but I wonder if shoe companies don't want us to see an accurate fit. Why should they; can sell shoes now why rock the boat?

DavidNH
04-21-2014, 22:28
I personally detest super feet and have always hated them. They are a recipe for foot pain and I have experience to prove it. I remember in 06 when I was hiking the trail.. the store keeper in Damascus, VA tried to push Superfeet on me and I refused. Spenco is your best bed. I think the trouble with Superfeet is there is no give where as Spenco is a nice cushy foamy insole support for feet.

bflorac
04-22-2014, 00:04
Same problem here. I think I have tried every flavor in insole. I have very wide feet including wider heels. While the superfeet can be cut to size, it only does so in the toe area. I have been know to hack at under layer of superfeet with a to allow the heat to flatten out more. You can just lower the lower plastic side wall. I have also tried the thermal formed Montrial inserts. They also suffer from the same problem as the super feet, the bottom layer is not wide enough. I currently use SOLE Dean Karnazes Signature Series Custom Footbeds. First they do form to you feet but most important, the lower layer is a good 3/8 wider than the superfeet. Blisters gone.

I don't agree with those who are looking for a lot of cushion. Insoles with lots of cushion just crush over time and/or cause your foot to slide in the boots.

You should look at the insole that came with your boots. You don't want to elevate your heal more than the boot was designed for. This too can cause other foot problems. In fact too much lift can actually cause knee problems.

WorldPeaceAndStuff
04-27-2014, 08:35
I look for more cushioning due to how my forefoot feels when doing 10+ miles or descending 2k feet in 3 miles. From the ball of my foot through my big toe burns. Stock insoles had cushioning but it's gone after 300 miles. The boot under the insole is rock hard so the insole is all I have.

If I'm replacing insoles at same rate folks replace trail runners I'm fine with that.

lissersmith
04-28-2014, 10:12
Everyone is different of course, but I personally LOVE my SuperFeet insoles. I do lots of hiking, running, and working 12 hour shifts as a nurse. I always wear the insoles and have never had plantar fa*****is or other foot problems. It just depends on whether or not you need the arch support, which I do. I bet the SOles are similar.

peakbagger
04-28-2014, 12:19
I use Montrail heat moldable inserts in my shoes. Compared to the stock insoles supplied with New Balances trail runners and winter boots, they have a more pronounced arch. When I first started using them, the arch was far more noticeable and felt too aggressive. It took me a couple of weeks of wearing them around the house and I got used to them. They do take up a bit more volume than stock inserts so shoe sizing could be an issue. I use Green superfeet in my work boots.

The Montrails have a rigid heel cup and arch which work well for distributing point loads from rock hopping in the whites.

I use two pairs of Montrails and swap them out.

devil dog
04-29-2014, 10:55
UPDATE - I have been wearing my Cadence inserts for about 2 weeks now. Feel great, heels feel so much. I like them more than my Superfeet that I have worn for years, and even better than my custom inserts from the Doc.
Later!

erieite
06-22-2014, 19:37
I bought a pair of Kean Hiking boots about 5 weeks ago with the recommended green superfeet insoles. I liked them very much, about 2 weeks ago I started having a very severe groin pain in my right leg. I didn't notice at first but it seems when I'm not wearing the hiking boots the pain diminishes and some not noticeable. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Dogwood
06-22-2014, 21:53
Anytime there's a space, even a rather small space, between your after market orthotic and the inside of your hiking shoe there's a big potential for increasing irritation and soreness. Don't know if you're still around Rubra but the irritation you described on the sides of the heels when using the green Superfeet is the exact same reason why I can't and don't use Superfeet.

Dogwood
06-22-2014, 21:58
Hmm, the salesman told you the green Superfeet might take some time to break them in too? Suspect!~ Did he heat mold them for ya?

ChuckT
06-23-2014, 07:43
Superfeet insoles can be heat molded?

Sugarfoot
06-23-2014, 10:49
There was a guy Phil Orens who ran "boot camps" around the country who developed the vacuum/heat molded Superfeet. Near you, Travel Country in Altamonte Springs, east of Orlando, still does it his way. It eliminates the break-in period by molding the Superfeet to fit your feet at rest, unsupported. It worked well for me, but with my low volume (flat) feet, I found that they naturally molded themselves to my feet in a relatively short time. Count me as a Superfeet believer.

ChuckT
06-23-2014, 11:15
Must have been an off day for Travel Country then. Cause that's where I got my Superfeet insoles and _nobody_ mentioned molding them to my feet!
What about DIY? Possible? Put them in a warm towel or something to soften the matrial?

Tom Murphy
06-23-2014, 12:39
The BLUE superfeet save my arches. Worth every penny.

Sugarfoot
06-23-2014, 13:08
I'm sorry, ChuckT. Perhaps Travel Country stopped offering that service. They had a raised wooden throne-like chair and would put a foam wedge under your thigh, so your leg was suspended. They separated the green foam part of the Superfeet from the gray plastic and heated the foam part in a little oven. Then they slapped the heated foam against your sole, and placed a plastic bag over your foot. There was a plastic hose running from the bag to a vacuum pump and they secured the plastic bag around your ankle. As the vacuum formed, the bag shrank, pulling the insole against your foot. Then they put the plastic piece back on and you were good to go. Repeat with the other foot. The custom Superfeet held your feet in a relaxed position as you hiked. You might phone them and see if they are still doing the custom molding. I drive over from Sarasota because these guys know feet and shoes. They make my feet happy and so I buy what I can from them.