PDA

View Full Version : Hammock pros,, HH undercover question?

Big Dawg
09-19-2005, 23:54
OK, hammock pros,, would a homemade synthetic underquilt, approx 1.5 to 2 inches thick, be too compressed between an HH hammock & undercover, or is the undercover somewhat adjustable? I like the idea of a wind/waterproof undercover, but don't want to sacrifice the warmth of my underquilt rating.

Is an undercover really necessary? How many hammockers use one?

Just Jeff
09-20-2005, 00:43
I'd say some sort of undercover is necessary for temps under ~70F. Whether it will compress insulation or not depends on which one you use.

The SuperShelter undercover sold by HH requires open-cell foam. According to the HH website (unless something has recently changed), the cover was tight enough to compress down and synthetic insulation.

A Garlington Taco or Weathershield type of undercover is meant to cover bottom-side insulation without compressing it.

If you have an underquilt made from DWR, it will already be pretty windproof, and as long as your tarp covers enough area, you shouldn't need waterproof unless you're in an area with rolling fog.

If you want waterproof, a silnylon taco will work but isn't breathable. Garlington says he gets a bit of condensation between the taco and his insulation, but nothing he's uncomfortable with. A Weathershield is 100% waterproof and is breathable.

I just put a paper towel on the counter, filled an area on the Weathershield with water, and let it sit on top of the paper towel for about 2.5 hours. Not even any moisture on the paper towel. And I can blow through it like DWR, so it's breathable. Haven't tried it in the field yet, though.

Big Dawg
09-21-2005, 00:28
I'd say some sort of undercover is necessary for temps under ~70F.

If you have an underquilt made from DWR, it will already be pretty windproof, and as long as your tarp covers enough area, you shouldn't need waterproof unless you're in an area with rolling fog.

So Jeff, if I have an underquilt made w/ nylon/DWR, & 3 layers of 3/4" Polarguard 3D-(to keep me toasty down to low temps), & have a MacCat deluxe fly, then no undercover is necessary, right?

Another question..... if I make an underquilt, like the JRB Nest, w/ a slit in the foot-end to match the HH entry,,,, then based on JRB's site, if I understand correctly, I would attach double-sided velcro on each side of the underquilt slit to match the HH. Then if each side of the underquilt velcro attaches to the same side HH velcro, I assume then that the underquilt velco's would come together to form the seal,,, but then if I try to break the seal to get in/out, wouldn't the seal come apart from all four verco attachments? Have I got it all wrong? How exactly does that work? cause that will have to be a part of my underquilt project.

Just Jeff
09-21-2005, 01:09
Your DWR underquilt will block the wind. An undercover can make it waterproof and add 5-10F of warmth, but it's not needed.

The JRB Nest velcros either to itself or to the HH opening, not both. If you velcro it to the HH, it's easier to get in and out because you just stick your leg through like normal. If you velcro it to itself, you'll be a little more protected from wind coming through the opening. Not much of a temperature difference, really.

Big Dawg
09-21-2005, 08:35
The JRB Nest velcros either to itself or to the HH opening, not both. If you velcro it to the HH, it's easier to get in and out because you just stick your leg through like normal. If you velcro it to itself, you'll be a little more protected from wind coming through the opening. Not much of a temperature difference, really.
Thanks, Jeff. So if I velcro the underquilt to the HH, then the HH entry will not be completely sealed, right???? I know when you get in the HH, the weight of yourself keeps it closed,,,,, I'm thinking about when I'm not in the hammock & want to keep critters out by normally ensuring velcro on HH is sealed.

Just Jeff
09-21-2005, 09:48
Put something in there to hold it closed. My top quilt stays in there, and that's been enough to hold mine closed. I haven't used it near overly-persistent skeeters, though...that might make a difference.