PDA

View Full Version : NH questions

RedBeerd
04-08-2014, 20:18
Regarding the Lincoln Falls trail. Is it snow packed still? Its not at elevation. Are the campgrounds along the Kang Hwy open?

Slo-go'en
04-08-2014, 20:41
If your asking about right now I would say yes and no.

The rain and wind last night put a dent in the snow, but there is still pleanty of it, especially if you go up a few feet in elevation. Give it another week or two, then you'll only be knee deep in the mud, not snow. If you want to come up here this weekend, your still going to need snowshoes. There will be snow in the north facing ravines and shaded areas well into May.

Many of the down hill ski areas are still up and running at near 100% of trails if that tells you anything :)

Meriadoc
04-08-2014, 21:06
That was an impressive dent though. I think we lost over a foot of snow in less than 24 hours. In non-wooded areas There's considerably less than a foot to go in the low lands! (SW Maine).

rafe
04-08-2014, 21:10
Many of the down hill ski areas are still up and running at near 100% of trails if that tells you anything :)

Doesn't tell you all that much, since most of them make snow like crazy. For years and years, Sunday River used to end their season on May 1 with free skiing. Sunday River, for those WBers who may not know, is just a few miles off the AT in the Mahoosuc area.

I took a pass on hiking last Saturday, but may give it another whirl this weekend or this Friday if the weather cooperates. Saturday looks like maybe more rain.

Slo-go'en
04-08-2014, 22:53
Lower elevations and wind swept areas are starting to show bare ground. It will be another week before my yard is free of snow. You don't have to go far into the woods to start post holeing. It really is time to stay out of the woods for the duration of mud season. What isn't mud is slush.

I might take a ride up to Grafton Notch soon and check out the snow levels there. That area got hit with a lot of snow recently and I expect it's still pretty deep there.

RedBeerd
04-09-2014, 08:47
Thank you for the replies. My mom and I are looking to go up on the 15th and 16th. We aren't looking to do any major hiking and we'll just walk the Lincoln Falls Trail to the waterfalls and then turn back. It will be more of just camping out one of the campgrounds. Are those open yet?

Slo-go'en
04-09-2014, 09:30
The Lafayette park campground in Franconia Notch is open year round but has no services during the off season to speak of. You self register and pay. I think they keep one loop plowed and one privy open.

I can't find the Lincon Falls trail on my maps or guides, so not sure where you plan on going, but I imagine all the waterfalls will be doing well in another week or so. I went to check out one near me last Friday but it was still frozen over and coverd with snow!

peakbagger
04-09-2014, 10:34
The WMNF campgrounds along the Kanc are not open yet. I assume you mean Falling Waters Trail from Lafayette Place?. I don't recommend it this time of year as in order to access the falls you need to cross the brook several times with no bridges. Most folks go over to Crawford Notch to the water falls over there. Many people got to Arethusa Falls. Either that of Diana's Bath in North Conway

RedBeerd
04-09-2014, 10:54
oops, I meant the Lincoln Woods Trail. Its on the west side of the Kancamagus, right across from the Hancock Campground. Its a flat, 2 mile-ish trail that brings you to Franconia Falls. It's along the river. Its easier walking which is good for my mom, but if its either all slush or still snow packed (we dont have snowshoes) than it probably wouldnt be worth it. The lafayette campground is close enough, so it really just comes down to how the Lincoln Woods Trail looks!

RedBeerd
04-09-2014, 11:00
Isnt Hancock year round?

Slo-go'en
04-09-2014, 11:23
The Lincon woods trail is very popular so I would imagine it is well packed. Well packed trails take a long time to melt and are quite icy this time of year. If it hasn't melted out, you'd need traction of some kind, like microspikes. If the snow is melted out, hard to say how muddy it would be as that was an old RR bed and pretty solid. This is such an iffy time of year you can't tell what condtions will be until you get there. Currently in the northen Whites, it's barely above freezing and the summits are in the clouds, so it is likely snowing up there again. But it's suppost to warm up again soon.

RedBeerd
04-09-2014, 14:05
Thanks slo, I appreciate the help.