PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike Suggestions

TurboPants
04-09-2014, 00:20
Yes it's another dreaded section hike request. Sorry! I have read several topics and have jotted some ideas down but wanted to get some perspective for my own situation.

I have about all my gear for a thru, haven't decided which direction yet but probably a NoBo in 2015. I want to do a 75-120 mile shake down with my gear to test it all out before it gets too hot this summer, maybe mid May?? I'm in Ohio so pretty much everything on the AT south of Mass is 8-10 hours from me. My options are to park my car and hike a few days and turn around, or hike farther and shell out for a shuttle service to take my back to my car. In either case I'm still leaving the car somewhere. I contemplated just starting at Springer and seeing how far I can go since there shuttles in that area, but I've read about car vandalism in that area too. Hopefully someone can ease my mind on a place to park that has worked for you in the past?? I assume I will end up alone unless by some miracle someone that wants to laugh at a hiker newb breaking in his gear for a week lol. In terms of difficulty, I'm thinking tough enough that I can test my body and gear. I'm very open to ideas so I'd appreciate anyone's input. Thanks in advance!

shakey_snake
04-09-2014, 01:43
Hike into Trail Days. Wouldn't that really be the perfect shakedown hike?

Coffee
04-09-2014, 08:52
If interested in using public transit rather than a shuttle, Harpers Ferry to Carlisle PA is an option. You could park at the NPS lot in Harpers Ferry and hike north a little over 100 miles. There is a commuter bus to Harrisburg going from Carlisle near the AT junction with US11. From Harrisburg, take Amtrak or Greyhound to DC, then Amtrak or MARC to Harpers Ferry.

I cannot comment on how nice this hike is yet but it is part of my Rockfish Gap to Carlisle section hike starting next week. But it might not be a bad option coming from Ohio.

fredmugs
04-10-2014, 08:39
I have done several section hikes where I met people in the Meet Up forum and then offered to do a car swap. Or you and the other person can hike together. Since you don't have a specific section in mind you should be able to find someone on here wanting to do a similar length/time trip and save both of you the cost of a shuttle.

rafe
04-10-2014, 09:28
One option is to find a hotel, motel or hostel, either at the beginning or end of your intended section, that is willing to let you park your car and might even shuttle you to the other end. I did my last trip through the Hundred Mile Wilderness that way. I parked at Shaws, had them shuttle me to Abol bridge. When I arrived at the trailhead in Monson a week later, they were there to pick me up in minutes. I had a shower, a good meal in town, and was soon back on the road toward home.