PDA

View Full Version : Trail Magic around Harper's Ferry

Que Sera
04-09-2014, 10:04
If I were interested in providing some trail magic somewhere north of SNP or around Harper's Ferry, when would be a good time to do that? When would the most thru-hikers be marching through that area?

I know I could probably figure this out with some simple research and number crunching...but my brain is fried right now so I figured I'd ask here.

Thanks!

Bearleg
04-09-2014, 10:20
the bubble of hikers will be in that area in the June time frame. regarding where, there is a road crossing before Bear Den, in the middle of the roller coaster that will be an ideal spot. if i remember right it is past Dicks Dome

Que Sera
04-09-2014, 10:22
Great thanks! I suppose it would be more apprecdiated in the middle of a rough spot rather than right by a town like Harper's Ferry.

colorado_rob
04-09-2014, 10:26
I think the PERFECT time would be on or about Thursday, April 17th, as I should be arriving in HF right about then! :-)

(100% kidding, of course, this would be way ahead of the pack, I'm leaving Front Royal NOBO on the 14th)

FarmerChef
04-09-2014, 10:43
That perfect spot is on Va Rt. 7 and is a large commuter parking lot. It has plenty of space when it's not full of cars (weekends for instance). Another great spot though it's much closer to Harper's Ferry is the trailhead parking lot on Rt. 9. HF is 6 miles NOBO from that point. North of HF, the next best place would be Gathland State Park at Crampton Gap. That's about 12ish miles outside of HF. There really isn't anything town wise in MD until you hit Pen Mar and Waynesboro, PA. So it can be a nice spot. We did some trail magic there last year then coincidentally met up with a thru hiker we met while hiking through the Whites later that year. Small world.

LIhikers
04-09-2014, 23:21
let me suggest you provide your magic where the AT and the C+O Canal trail are co-aligned.

Teacher & Snacktime
04-09-2014, 23:43
That's a nice spot...easy to park too.