PDA

View Full Version : Wet feet, what do you do?

cbr6fs
04-09-2014, 18:42
Hi everyone

I'm doing a 5 day hike in the UK in a few weeks, the plan is to camp every night.
I'm unsure what footwear to take though.

99% my hiking is done in my Salomon XA 3D ultra 2 trail running shoes, I find them really comfortable and fairly lightweight, it's extremely rare I hike in the rain though, the few hikes I have done in them in the rain I ended up with squelchy shoes and sore feet.

As the upcoming hike is 5 days in the north of England I'd put money on it raining at least one full day, throw in muddy ground and there is a very good chance I'll spend a days hiking with soaked feet If I wear my Solomon's.

I do have a couple of pair of goretex hiking boots as a option but they're heavier and no where near as comfortable.

After reading threads here of people hiking in all weather with non waterproof trail running shoes i'm curious to know what you do about having wet feet if you are caught out in a full days rain?

cbr6fs
04-09-2014, 18:45
Sorry, auto correct changed the title it should read "wet feet, what do you do?" I can't see any way of editing it, could a Mod please change it?

jeffmeh
04-09-2014, 19:06
You could try a pair of goretex socks. The shoes and socks will at least have some chance of drying out when you separate them. Be aware that the socks do not stretch, so proper fit is critical. Also, extra socks or liners so you can switch out to dry pairs would be helpful.

rafe
04-09-2014, 19:10
If the socks are wool or synthetic, you may be OK for a day or two. Some folks have more sophisticated solutions, like waterproof socks. I carry two pair, so I have a dry pair for camp. In theory. I don't believe there's an such thing as waterproof footwear for long-distance hiking, but light footwear dries out quickly.

I have certainly walked for the better part of a day or two with continuously-soaked or repeatedly-soaked shoes and socks. If the rain goes on for longer than that, the "always dry" part becomes inoperative. ;)

They're considered old-hat but if the mud's deep enough, or if you'll be walking in dense wet meadows, gaiters may help.

johnnybgood
04-09-2014, 19:44
Start by bringing 2 pair of socks to hike in plus one to use only at camp. Keep the socks in a waterproof clothes bag inside your pack. I 've also gotten in the habit of bringing a pack towel, ( bandanna's work too) to dry off my feet before switching to dry socks.

Gaiters help keep water from top side exposure to rain entering the shoes. Gortex socks like previously mentioned are something to look into also.

Slosteppin
04-09-2014, 20:00
Hi everyone

99% my hiking is done in my Salomon XA 3D ultra 2 trail running shoes, I find them really comfortable and fairly lightweight, it's extremely rare I hike in the rain though, the few hikes I have done in them in the rain I ended up with squelchy shoes and sore feet.

As the upcoming hike is 5 days in the north of England I'd put money on it raining at least one full day, throw in muddy ground and there is a very good chance I'll spend a days hiking with soaked feet If I wear my Solomon's.

I do have a couple of pair of goretex hiking boots as a option but they're heavier and no where near as comfortable.

After reading threads here of people hiking in all weather with non waterproof trail running shoes i'm curious to know what you do about having wet feet if you are caught out in a full days rain?

Interestng! I have a pair of Salomon XA 3D ULTRA trail runners but mine are also labeled Goretex and they are waterproof. I wear them about half the time. The rest of the time I wear my waterproof Teva eVent hiking shoes. I will not backpack without waterproof shoes. The two times I did I got wet feet that soon became very sore feet.
I also have waterproof leather boots which I only wear in cold and snowy weather or for doing trail work.

BZ853
04-09-2014, 20:37
I hike in chaos and walk through every steam and puddle I can find so I guess I've gotten used to wet feet. It never seems to bother me.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Marta
04-09-2014, 22:40
Sorry, auto correct changed the title it should read "wet feet, what do you do?" I can't see any way of editing it, could a Mod please change it?

Your wish, etc.

Wise Old Owl
04-09-2014, 22:51
UH wait - take a Shammy or a towel? serious - its not about the boots. UK rains like almost every day, it's part of the gulf stream delivering warm moisture that creates the rain like a tractor... accept you are going to get wet - accept you need a hat and 3 pairs of smart wool or polypro socks and you need to rotate them. Well I have been there and hiked and camped... enjoy - its a great trip for a summer.

Marta
04-09-2014, 22:56
When I lived in the UK I wore Gore-Tex-lined boots, thick socks, and rain pants that were long enough to act like shingles, shedding the water onto the outside of my boots.

Good rain gear is essential. The good part is that you probably don't have to worry about getting overheated.

Where are you going to hike?

moytoy
04-10-2014, 05:22
Accept the advice from WOO. And forget about the water proof boots because when they get soaked (and they will) they take longer to dry out.
Sometimes after walking in knee high swamp water I'll stop for lunch and dry my feet then let them sun for a bit. It probably doesn't help the feet but it improves my mood.

cbr6fs
04-10-2014, 06:37
Thanks for responses guys, very much appreciated.

If i was walking through a stream then i'd not worry too much, as most of the water will squish out after a few mins hiking, plus if the weather is dry it'll help dry the shoes out
My worry is, knowing England there is a very good chance it'll rain ALL day at least 1 day on the trip.
Problem i see there is there is no chance for the shoes to dry, i could put on dry socks but they'd bet wet the second i have them inside the wet shoe.

It's not like the shoes will dry in the tent either what with the condensation and and damp air.

Call my a wuss if you like, but if it rains the first day there is a good chance the shoes won't be dry by day 5 never mind overnight.
Not a fan of hiking with wet feet at all, but for 5 days hiking :eek:

The skin on my feet is pretty tough, but once they're wet that tough skin tends to rip itself apart when hiking.
Been caught out a few times in rain storms and had to finish off walk with wet feet, was pretty uncomfortable, once the skin starts to raisin up it's tough to keep blisters away.
Really really don't fancy that option, especially with a rucksack, tent etc on my back and a days hiking the following day.

Then there is the worry of puddles and tiny bits of debris getting in the shoe.
Got caught out in my trail shoes a few weeks ago, the rain was ok on it's own as we only had a 5km left to walk, problem was because the XA 3D's are pretty open mesh uppers, all the sandy dust that had collected on the top of the trail surface washed over my feet, so it ended up effectively walking with sand paper between my toes.

I have a couple of pairs of goretex socks (sealskinz) that i use for cycling, not sure they're a good option (at least the ones i own), as said they don't really stretch so i find when hiking in them pretty uncomfortable.
They bunch up which causes hot spots, my feet sweat like a Rhino in a sauna in them and that because they're not as tight a fit as normal socks my foot tends to slide around inside them.
They're also pretty thick so really tight in most my hiking shoes.

I need to pick up a few things while back in the UK though so will try a few more pairs.
If i can find a thin pair that fits fairly tight i'll give them a go, so they may be a option, thanks.

Tough call as i the XA 3D's are by far the most comfortable hiking footwear i own, also fairly light.

Saying that though i've just done some calculations:
Salomon XA3D Ultra2 shoes weigh 729 grams
My (waterproof) Salomon X Tracks mid's weigh 862 grams

140 grams off the feet is noticeable in my experience, but if i add my waterproof socks:

The sealskinz goretex socks weigh 139 grams, my usual hiking socks weigh 26 grams.
729g + 139g = 868g (XA 3D's)
862g + 26g = 888g (X Tracks mid's)

Not much in it, throw in a shoe full of water and the boots may even be lighter in the rain.

Old Hillwalker
04-10-2014, 06:44
On my 300 mile hike from Glasgow(Milngavie) to Cape Wrath along the length of Scotland in 09 I wore Keen Newports just for that situation. Having been hiking in Scotland for many years I knew that this would be a problem. I also carried Crocs and three pair of DarnTough socks. When walking across areas where there was no treadway (lots of times), the grassy turf would be like walking on a wet sponge with water splashing up onto your calves with every footfall. The longest time with continuously wet feet was three days.

IAT Scotland hike here: http://www.samohtw,blogspot.com

cbr6fs
04-10-2014, 07:24
Interestng! I have a pair of Salomon XA 3D ULTRA trail runners but mine are also labeled Goretex and they are waterproof. I wear them about half the time. The rest of the time I wear my waterproof Teva eVent hiking shoes. I will not backpack without waterproof shoes. The two times I did I got wet feet that soon became very sore feet.
I also have waterproof leather boots which I only wear in cold and snowy weather or for doing trail work.

Looked at the goretex ones when i bought them, but as i have goretex boots i wanted something that allowed my feet to be a bit cooler in the warmer months here (Greece).
Might have a look around see if i can't find a goretex pair of the same boots, might be a good solution.

Also got a pair of Salomon XT Cruzer GTX shoes which are waterproof, but they are some of the most uncomfortable shoes i've ever owned.
Salomon must have changed something in their construction as after 2 hours in these i'm hobbling rather than walking, odd thing is i own several pairs of salomon shoes and they're all really really comfortable, it's only this pair :confused:

Real shame as they're only 582 grams so by far the lightest "hiking" shoes i own :mad:

UH wait - take a Shammy or a towel? serious - its not about the boots. UK rains like almost every day, it's part of the gulf stream delivering warm moisture that creates the rain like a tractor... accept you are going to get wet - accept you need a hat and 3 pairs of smart wool or polypro socks and you need to rotate them. Well I have been there and hiked and camped... enjoy - its a great trip for a summer.

Thanks Owl,
I'm a expat Brit so have a good idea what to expect weather wise, that's really the worry.
5 days of hiking with soaking wet feet really doesn't appeal.

Hiked and backpacked in typical K weather many times before, but always wore waterproof boots.
Apart from the times where i've strayed into peat bogs (came from the area close to Kinder scout) and a few stupid moments when i've put my foot into puddles that came over the top of my boots i've not really had any problem with wet feet.

Been doing some test hikes recently though and i have noticed i'm less tored with the lighter trail shoes than the boots, so was wondering what solutions you guys had for getting wet feet.

When I lived in the UK I wore Gore-Tex-lined boots, thick socks, and rain pants that were long enough to act like shingles, shedding the water onto the outside of my boots.

Good rain gear is essential. The good part is that you probably don't have to worry about getting overheated.

Where are you going to hike?

Thanks Marta and thanks for editing the title.

It's funny because when i moved from the UK to Greece 15 years ago i had a fair options for waterproof clothing, since living here though it's just not needed so i haven't bothered updating the kit.

Generally the only wet feet i get here around Athens is from sweat in summer :D

The trip is 5 days backpacking around the Lake District, plan is to find some quieter spots (tough around the lakes) and wild camp.

Pretty confident in most my kit like tent, sleeping bag, etc but was curious to see what you guys did with regards to wet feet as trail runners seem to be really popular here.

I don't think i'll risk it with the trail runners, i'll take my waterproof mid's i think, so you can pretty much guarantee it'll be a heat wave those 5 days :D

cbr6fs
04-10-2014, 07:27
Accept the advice from WOO. And forget about the water proof boots because when they get soaked (and they will) they take longer to dry out.
Sometimes after walking in knee high swamp water I'll stop for lunch and dry my feet then let them sun for a bit. It probably doesn't help the feet but it improves my mood.

Thanks moytoy,

If it's warm and generally dry i agree that's a good option.

If it's cold and raining all day though (real possibility) then 8 hours + of hiking in wet feet is a worry.
From previous experience i know my feet will be in a bit of a state afterwards.

cbr6fs
04-10-2014, 07:32
On my 300 mile hike from Glasgow(Milngavie) to Cape Wrath along the length of Scotland in 09 I wore Keen Newports just for that situation. Having been hiking in Scotland for many years I knew that this would be a problem. I also carried Crocs and three pair of DarnTough socks. When walking across areas where there was no treadway (lots of times), the grassy turf would be like walking on a wet sponge with water splashing up onto your calves with every footfall. The longest time with continuously wet feet was three days.

IAT Scotland hike here: http://www.samohtw,blogspot.com

Thanks,

Don't fancy sandals in the lake district, my worry is that having tried sandals for summer hiking here in Greece and found i spent more time picking stones out from in-between the sole and my foot than i did hiking.
Plus if it's cold my little toes are going to go blue.

Was your hiking in summer or winter?
Did you not have a problem with stuff getting strapped under your foot?

Can't get your link to open my friend, is there a comma where there shouldn't be?

BZ853
04-10-2014, 08:55
I have my sandals strapped all the way down so there isn't much room for anything to get in between the shoe and my foot. Also I have really tough feet. Probably have spent more time barefoot than in shoes for my life.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

tarditi
04-10-2014, 09:45
Your feet will get wet. That's a given.
As mentioned, waterproof shoes or socks will only make draining/drying take longer.

Extra dry socks and foot powder may be your best chances - be extra sensitive to hot spots when your feet are wet, since (as you noted) the skin will simply tear.

I've converted - I was in the infantry in my younger days, and we would go on for days in 8" leather boots - my foot comfort increased dramatically when I switched to fast draining jungle boots and got used to vigilant and disciplined foot care en route. Now, I wear non-gtx trail runners or running shoes on the trail - I would rather get rid of the water and they dry out much faster. I had a pair of those Solomons - great shoes. I developed an issue with the closure system, but would definitely get another pair. Very comfortable and light.

Old Hillwalker
04-10-2014, 09:52
[QUOTE=cbr6fs;1869813]Thanks,

Don't fancy sandals in the lake district, my worry is that having tried sandals for summer hiking here in Greece and found i spent more time picking stones out from in-between the sole and my foot than i did hiking.
Plus if it's cold my little toes are going to go blue.

Was your hiking in summer or winter?
Did you not have a problem with stuff getting strapped under your foot?

Yep, there is a comma where there should be a period. My hike was in early May into June, just before the midges came out in force. I would'na exactly call the Newports sandals, but they are open sided to let the water out. I kept them tight enough to keep the junk out and wore socks with them. We had temps down around 4C early on with fresh snow on the tops but I never had cold feet. As far as pebbles go, these Keens have fairly high sides even though they are slotted and I think that feature helped keep stuff out.

Have a great time

Tom

Hot Flash
04-10-2014, 10:11
Why not just get a good pair of Tevas so that you aren't wearing closed shoes? It's the UK, the terrain isn't that rough, and if it summer it should be warm-ish enough.

Old Hillwalker
04-10-2014, 11:54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXTcg90qSLg

Why not just get a good pair of Tevas so that you aren't wearing closed shoes? It's the UK, the terrain isn't that rough, and if it summer it should be warm-ish enough.

Ahem, I beg to differ about roughness of terrain since Scotland is in the UK. They may not be high but they are fun. Check out one of my walks in Western Scotland.

q-tip
04-10-2014, 12:54
I have seven different pairs of boots/trail runners. In my experience, nothing will keep your feet dry. They get wet. I bring camp shoes and two pair hiking socks and a sock for camp. I have found boots and Goretex Trail Runners the worst. Goretex takes longer to dry out and boots, expecially Asolo just get wet and stay wet. The best tactic I have had for wet feet is Acceptance....

jeffmeh
04-10-2014, 13:30
I have seven different pairs of boots/trail runners. In my experience, nothing will keep your feet dry. They get wet. I bring camp shoes and two pair hiking socks and a sock for camp. I have found boots and Goretex Trail Runners the worst. Goretex takes longer to dry out and boots, expecially Asolo just get wet and stay wet. The best tactic I have had for wet feet is Acceptance....

We really need a "like" function. :)

Giuseppe
04-10-2014, 14:23
People that I hiked with on the AT used vaseline every day to prevent chafing and protect their feet during the many days of rain that we had. Towards the end, we all were using either vaseline, bag bomb, or a & d ointment. Guiseppe

cbr6fs
04-10-2014, 15:47
No doubt i've had a few wet feet instances while hiking, be it failing footwear or user error (stepping in puddles/peat to deep), can't say as it's been my experience that wet feet are inevitable though.
Before i left the UK i'd usually spend at least 10 days a month hiking, most of those days would be in Scotland but i'd also nip over to Wales, neither area is really known for it's dry weather :D
Must have walked hundreds if not thousands of miles in constant wet rainy weather even with the old leather boots before goretex came out it was rare to get wet feet.
I'd need to keep the mud off the boots and keep giving them a wipe over to stop them wetting out, but as i say it was probably 90% dry feet to 10% wet feet.

Decent boots and gaiters are usually great on even the wettest days, only thing you have to watch out for is the gaiters wetting out causing your socks to wick moisture down into your boots, or stepping in water that's likely to go over the level of the boot.

If the weathers warm then i really really would prefer to wear my trail running shoes.
Just don't think it's worth the risk if it's cold and wet though, i really really don't fancy spending all day hiking in 3c temps with wet feet, i'm not convinced that even mesh shoes will dry in a damp tent overnight in cold damp conditions either.

The spare socks idea would be great for river crossing in drier warmer weather, but i don't see any point in changing socks if it's still raining, the dry socks are going to get wet the second my foot goes into the shoe.

I'll stick with plan A (waterproof boots and gaiters) but i really do appreciate the advice and fantastic responses.

Thank you

QiWiz
04-10-2014, 16:10
Recently had the opportunity to test out Hydropel for protection of feet during 3-day slot canyon and water walk in Utah with feet/shoes constantly wet in and out of water, mud all day and it worked well. I would apply to feet in morning, then use sock liners and merino hiking socks; mesh trail runners.

lonehiker
04-10-2014, 16:26
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXTcg90qSLg

Ahem, I beg to differ about roughness of terrain since Scotland is in the UK. They may not be high but they are fun. Check out one of my walks in Western Scotland.

I hope to bag a number of the Munros in 2016. From what I have read, they wouldn't be considered easy terrain....

WILLIAM HAYES
04-10-2014, 16:33
I have the same salomon trail runners as you do I finished a section in the SNP a few weeks ago rained with snow and ice on the trail in higher elevations the lower part of the SNP was closed due to snow and ice accumulations but reopened after we started at thornton gap. My feet got wet and stayed wet. The problem with goretex trail runners is once they are wet they are an absolute pain to dry out.I have had the same problem before when it rained . Non goretex trail runners will get wet but will dry out faster. To maintain tlhe water proofness oif goretex you need to make certain that you clean them periodically.

cbr6fs
04-10-2014, 17:17
Recently had the opportunity to test out Hydropel for protection of feet during 3-day slot canyon and water walk in Utah with feet/shoes constantly wet in and out of water, mud all day and it worked well. I would apply to feet in morning, then use sock liners and merino hiking socks; mesh trail runners.

That's interesting thanks.

I have a similar product i use in the groin area when doing long distance cycling.

Only worry is that if fine pieces of sand or gravel get through the sock any Vaseline or cream is just going to hold onto these pieces to form a substance similar to grinding paste.

I hope to bag a number of the Munros in 2016. From what I have read, they wouldn't be considered easy terrain....

Scotland can be deceiving, some of the hardest areas i've hiked in have been in Scotland, and not necessarily the highest peaks either.

I have the same salomon trail runners as you do I finished a section in the SNP a few weeks ago rained with snow and ice on the trail in higher elevations the lower part of the SNP was closed due to snow and ice accumulations but reopened after we started at thornton gap. My feet got wet and stayed wet. The problem with goretex trail runners is once they are wet they are an absolute pain to dry out.I have had the same problem before when it rained . Non goretex trail runners will get wet but will dry out faster. To maintain tlhe water proofness oif goretex you need to make certain that you clean them periodically.

Thanks William, do you not experience cold feet?

I'm not convinced about goretex lined shoes taking longer to dry out.
I got caught out in the rain a few weeks ago in these trail runners, it was only a 1 hour shower but it rained hard, it took my trail runners 3 full days to dry out, this was on my balcony with good wind throughput and directly in the sun.

Washed out a old pair of goretex THF boots i have and these took the same amount of time to dry.
These are big heavy boots mind.

Not exactly a scientific test i'll grant you, but in my case i will have to wear whatever shoes/boots i choose to hike the following day, so goretex boots or mesh trail runners neither are going to be anywhere near dry after a damp night in a tent.
So in my mind if mesh trail runners dry quicker or not it really makes no difference, neither will be dry the next morning.

As i say, if it's dry then i'd much prefer the trail runners, i'm absolutely convinced i'm less tired after a hike in these compared to my boots.

I know that stupidity or failure aside that my feet will stay dry with WP boots and gaiters and knowing how my feet get when hiking wet i really don't want to risk having to have a rest day to let my feet recover.

jeffmeh
04-10-2014, 18:14
If it stops raining and you get some dry terrain, the ventilated trail runners will dry out as you wear them, much faster than goretex. That said, it is a personal choice, and one should do what works for oneself.

Marta
04-10-2014, 19:45
It's funny because when i moved from the UK to Greece 15 years ago i had a fair options for waterproof clothing, since living here though it's just not needed so i haven't bothered updating the kit.

Generally the only wet feet i get here around Athens is from sweat in summer :D

The trip is 5 days backpacking around the Lake District, plan is to find some quieter spots (tough around the lakes) and wild camp.

Pretty confident in most my kit like tent, sleeping bag, etc but was curious to see what you guys did with regards to wet feet as trail runners seem to be really popular here.

I don't think i'll risk it with the trail runners, i'll take my waterproof mid's i think, so you can pretty much guarantee it'll be a heat wave those 5 days :D

What you've done is pretty much the evolution I went through when I moved to North Carolina. The Gore-Tex boots that worked so well in the UK were saunas in the southeastern US. I moved my British boots to the back of the closet to gather dust. Since I've moved to Montana, though, the old boots are in regular use again.

I really was able to keep my feet pretty dry in the UK. (I was mostly hiking in Cheshire and Derbyshire, with forays into Scotland and North Wales, and only a couple of times into the Lake District.) Newish waterproof boots work okay as long as you can keep water from running down your legs into the boots. The other problem was that occasional step into a bottomless peat puddle. If it was really raining hard, I'd enhance the shingling process by doing rain pants lapping over gaiters lapping over boots…which sounds pretty much like what you're planning to do.

cbr6fs
04-11-2014, 05:03
If it stops raining and you get some dry terrain, the ventilated trail runners will dry out as you wear them, much faster than goretex. That said, it is a personal choice, and one should do what works for oneself.

Thanks Jeff,

I can understand what you mean, each step will squish out a bit more water, throw in some dry socks to act as a wick and i can imagine if the air is dry enough your shoes will be pretty dry after say 1 hour of walking.

If i was hiking here in Greece with it's rocky terrain i think that'd be a fantastic solution.

Knowing sunny England though, many of the paths we'll be hiking on will be a boggy, muddy mess after a days rain.
With WP boots i usually find anything below 1/2 way up to the laces is a safe bet, which oddly coincides with the the depth a bit English squelchy mud goes. :D
With non WP shoes anything over the height of the sole will find it's way into the shoe.

Bear in mind that there are probably sections of hills in the Lake district that haven't been dry since the earth was a bubbling mess of larva :D so after a good days rain you can bet your underpants it'll be mud bath for at least 2 days after.

So my concern is, even IF it stops raining my feet will still be a wet, muddy mess for a couple of days.

It's a tough call though and a bit of a gamble, because if my WP boots leak then i've gained absolutely nothing going with that choice over my trail runners :(

What you've done is pretty much the evolution I went through when I moved to North Carolina. The Gore-Tex boots that worked so well in the UK were saunas in the southeastern US. I moved my British boots to the back of the closet to gather dust. Since I've moved to Montana, though, the old boots are in regular use again.

I really was able to keep my feet pretty dry in the UK. (I was mostly hiking in Cheshire and Derbyshire, with forays into Scotland and North Wales, and only a couple of times into the Lake District.) Newish waterproof boots work okay as long as you can keep water from running down your legs into the boots. The other problem was that occasional step into a bottomless peat puddle. If it was really raining hard, I'd enhance the shingling process by doing rain pants lapping over gaiters lapping over boots…which sounds pretty much like what you're planning to do.

Still the fact that you can wind up your UK mates by phoning them to tell them how great the weather is and how it hasn't rained in 2 weeks moreeeeeeeeeeeee than makes up for it doesn't it :D :D :D :D :D

I'm from around Derbyshire so know the area well, some great walking there and although we don't have the height you guys have over there it can still be extremely challenging terrain.

That's the plan, WP trousers and gaiters, dug my old gaiters out of the store room this morning and tested them under the shower, i think i need some new gaiters as they've started de-laminating