PDA

View Full Version : Camp sites in Georgia?

Chris10
04-09-2014, 20:49
Does anyone know if there are any "unofficial" camp sites between Whitley Gap Shelter and Low Gap Shelter?

Thanks!

No Directions
04-09-2014, 21:01
If you are a hammock camper any two trees are a campsite. If you are a tent camper any semi flat spot will work. There are few restrictions about where you can camp.

bamboo bob
04-09-2014, 21:06
The entire AT is pretty much an unofficial campsite with just a few exceptions like the Smokies and the Whites above tree line.

Chris10
04-09-2014, 21:12
Tent camping, but I know when we sectioned hiked between Springer and Neel, there were are few tent areas that were not listed in the guide (on top of Sassafrass Mt., GA comes to mind). Just wondered if there were any such sites between those two shelters. Thanks!

couscous
04-09-2014, 21:46
White Oak Stamp Gap / space for 3-4 tents
Sapling Gap / space for 2-3 tents
another tent site / space for 2-3 tents
Sheep Rock Top / space for 2-3 tents

generoll
04-09-2014, 22:20
There's a nice level campsite about 1 mile north of Hog Pen Gap. No water.

MuddyWaters
04-09-2014, 23:03
There are "official" campsites outside of national parks???

fireneck
04-09-2014, 23:58
There is a great campsite maybe a mile or three after Low Gap Shelter. There is no water so get your water from Low Gap Shelter. The campsite has room for three or four solo shelters and a small campfire. The site is situated on the right side of the trail as the trail makes a hard left. And as others have said there are a lot of "unofficial" campsites on the AT and especially Georgia!

Seatbelt
04-10-2014, 08:06
There is a great campsite maybe a mile or three after Low Gap Shelter. There is no water so get your water from Low Gap Shelter. The campsite has room for three or four solo shelters and a small campfire. The site is situated on the right side of the trail as the trail makes a hard left. And as others have said there are a lot of "unofficial" campsites on the AT and especially Georgia!

Since I have camped at this one, I will concur that this is a nice one, there is also another one shortly before this one(nobo) on the same side of the trail.

MuddyWaters
04-10-2014, 21:23

I remeber that spot. I camped at Low Gap and remember thinking I should have camped there when I got to it the next morning.

Trillium
04-12-2014, 21:57
Yes, at Hog Pen Gap before you cross the road there is a campsite to the right of the trail. Plenty of room for at least 8 tents and any number of hammocks. There's also a water source.

Hill Ape
04-13-2014, 04:19

i think i built that site