PDA

View Full Version : Winter Section Hike, Am I Crazy?

JimSproul
09-20-2005, 09:08
Greetings All -

I am planning a section hike from Springer to Fontana Dam starting on New Year's Eve at Springer Mtn Shelter. I figure I can bail at the NOC or Franklin if I am slowed by the weather. I realize some of the regular resupply points don't operate then.

No thru-hike in the forseeable future. I will be between contracts at this time so I wont loose any billable hours. No major kid events.

I have read journals of people that hike during this period and generally the conditions were not too bad. I have a 4-season tent I can use and gear suited to a winter trip. Temps have been warmer in early January than February most years recently.

Anybody know water availabilty that time of year?

I would enjoy your thoughts. :-?

Lone Wolf
09-20-2005, 09:13
Go for it. Last year on New Years it was 50 degrees. Stayed that way for a week. This year could be single digits. Who knows? Plenty of ways to get off the trail. You won't be in the wilderness.

Alligator
09-20-2005, 09:39
Greetings All -

I am planning a section hike from Springer to Fontana Dam starting on New Year's Eve at Springer Mtn Shelter. I figure I can bail at the NOC or Franklin if I am slowed by the weather. I realize some of the regular resupply points don't operate then.

No thru-hike in the forseeable future. I will be between contracts at this time so I wont loose any billable hours. No major kid events.

I have read journals of people that hike during this period and generally the conditions were not too bad. I have a 4-season tent I can use and gear suited to a winter trip. Temps have been warmer in early January than February most years recently.

Anybody know water availabilty that time of year?

I would enjoy your thoughts. :-?Don't count on previous years temperatures to predict the future. But, by all means, go for it. I have not sectioned that area in the winter, but have done many hikes north of the Smokies during winter. Above freezing temps, water often has better availability, as their is little to know uptake by plants.

I would suggest a gas stove. It will probably be rare (if at all) that you will need to melt snow, but the faster boil times mean less standing around and quicker hot beverages. On below freezing days, I will mix 1 part boiling water to 2 parts cold water. I then place my water bladder in a blue foam cozy to keep the water from freezing.

You will go slower in the winter due to a heavier pack. There is less daylight also, so mileages are often lower.

There are lots of other winter tips scattered throughout the forums too.

The Solemates
09-20-2005, 09:46
Winter is just as good a time to hike as any, if not better. We started from Springer Feb 1 on our thru and had winter conditions for at least the first 1.5 months. Although, some days it was 50F and some days it was 15F. It dropped below 0F at night several times. But if you are prepared for it all, its really no big deal. Its one of our favorite times to hike. Winter wonderland conditions with no bugs, no heat, and no people.

Weve also done many other winter trips in this area, especially in the Smokies. As aforementioned, prepare for shorter days due to light, but the hiking wont be all that much more difficult. Just prepare for continual wet (or frozen) feet. I would say that is the biggest obstacle. Hiking in 1-2 foot snow drifts like we did, you will have wet feet each night no matter what. But we have found you can still make 2.5-3.0 mph regardless.

Ender
09-20-2005, 10:22
Well, of course you're crazy, but it's a good kind of crazy. :jump I say go for it. If you have the gear, then you'll have a good time.

hikerdude
09-20-2005, 10:35
Only Cool people hike in the winter

mingo
09-20-2005, 13:29
i would bring some kind of little cletes for your boots. trying to walk on ice is probably the biggest problem that time of year -- unless it's post-holing in thigh-deep snow or shivering in your bag on below-zero nights or getting the giant ice chunks out of your platypus in the mornings or trying to make a lighter work ...

The Solemates
09-20-2005, 14:07
there is no need for in-step crampons in the winter in the Smokies. their potential once-or-twice-a-day use does not justify the weight in my mind. if its that bad, just walk around by tromping uphill or down.

i would get at least a 0-10 degree down bag. I carry a 5 deg, my wife carries a 0 deg. you can sleep in all your clothes as well. and of course camping in a tent instead of a shelter adds at least 10 degrees of warmth.

you shouldnt take a platypus in the winter. carry soda bottles (or nalgenes..whatever) and make sure you keep enough in your sleeping bag with you for breakfast in the morning. we put our water bottles, stove fuel bottle, water filter, and sometimes even boots in the bottom of our sleeping bags.

after holding it in your hand for a couple minutes to warm it up, a butane lighter will work fine in the cold. we just put ours in the stove bag (which goes inside the sleeping bag), so it doesnt matter anyways.

springerfever
09-21-2005, 09:16
I've done a fair amount of hiking in the Smokies in Jan-Feb. Some sort of crampon are , in my opinion, essential. I got a pair of Yaktrax and they were great. Good purchase on ice and believe me ,you will see some bobsled runs on parts of the trail. Poles come in handy too.

BTW. what you have planned is some of the best hiking out there. Crystal blue skies, great views without the foilage, awesome stars at night,the crunch of snow underfoot and less crowds. Absolutely spectacular !!!

Tramper Al
09-21-2005, 09:21
Not crazy at all.

Starting at Katahdin, now that's a little more crazy.

kyhipo
09-21-2005, 09:26
nope not crazy just adventurios,i hiked mass,conn,ny in february and believe it was just awesome,ky:dance

the goat
09-21-2005, 09:32
i've hiked that section in late december, finishing a thru. water was plentiful, trail was empty and the weather was cold as hell.....good times.

TJ aka Teej
09-21-2005, 10:01
Hi Jim,
Sounds like a great adventure! There's usually a group of hikers on Springer for New Year's Eve, howling at the moon, so you won't be alone (well, that night, at least!) And you just might meet a few sobos still heading south.

orangebug
09-21-2005, 14:22
The problem with sectioning in winter is the risk of falls and injury. Even very skilled and experienced hikers can have that occur, with one in the Smokies last winter coming to mind.

Starting at Springer means you won't be entirely alone on the trail. I'd encourage some sort of crampon, as there are rock faces on Blood Mtn (for example) that love to get iced over. You won't have to deal with bugs or reptiles. No overgrown trails, either. There are many more campsites available.

Enjoy!