PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly a lot of time on my hands...

Kerosene
04-10-2014, 10:13
So earlier this week I learned that my services will no longer be needed at my present employer. I knew that that might happen at some point due to a CEO change last year, but the timing was earlier than anticipated. As I get through the change cycle and get comfortable not having a salary for a while, my mind quickly goes to what can I do this summer with all of my free time? I have sufficient emergency funds that I can be without an income through year-end, although I will certainly be looking.

A bit on my background & preferences: I absolutely love to hike in Autumn where the temps tend to be cooler, there are no bugs, and the trees are changing color. I've hiked all but the northern 220 miles of the AT, plus the Long Trail, in section hikes in the 70's and the past decade. Given my new situation, I hope to cover those 220 miles from Rangeley to Katahdin in early October. I'm slowing down as I age with balky knees, but I'm still in excellent shape and don't mind climbing. I don't like excessive mud, excessive bugs, lack of water, or hot, hot walking. My 3-day carry weight for Fall hiking is under 25 pounds, and I'd probably get to 21-22 pounds for a summer hike.

My question for the broader backpacking community is: What trail(s) should I consider tackling in the June through August timeframe that best fit my preferences? I'm thinking of 1-2 week duration trips. I frequently hike by myself, although I'm not averse to company, especially if they are sufficiently skilled to walk independently.

My trail bucket list includes the AT (almost done), LT (done), SHT (30 miles done), JMT, Cohos, Wonderland, Colorado, and Tahoe Rim; but I'd consider other options in North America (avoid the cost of an international flight) to tackle this summer. I'm thinking that the CT could be a good fit, but I'm looking for more ideas, so sound off!

flemdawg1
04-10-2014, 10:20
JMT, then Tahoe Rim Trail if you have time, since they're in the same neighborhood.

HikerMom58
04-10-2014, 10:28
Kerosene... talk to Chin Music about this. He's got the JMT in his sights this year. It would be so cool if you guys could work it out to hike together... just brain stormin....

Sounds like a fun summer is in store for you! :D

Feral Bill
04-10-2014, 10:33
The northern Rockies, including Canada, are fabulous. The Wonderland Trail is beyond fabulous. Come on out!

Coffee
04-10-2014, 11:33
I recommend the John Muir Trail which can be hiked in two weeks but it seems more common for people to take between two and three weeks. The permit situation starting from Yosemite is difficult but with some flexibility plenty of people score walk-up permits. I would recommend late August-mid September for great weather, fewer people, and no bugs. I hiked the JMT from August 26 to September 14 last year.

Jeff
04-10-2014, 11:39
Kerosene...you are one of the original Whiteblaze members from back in 2002. Can't wait to see your summit photo standing on Katahdin.

Kerosene
04-10-2014, 12:16
Kerosene...you are one of the original Whiteblaze members from back in 2002. Can't wait to see your summit photo standing on Katahdin.Me too! I covered about 600 miles of the AT in the 70's, and the remainder since 2000. My longest single AT section to date is 139 miles in 9 days from in southern Virginia from Craig Creek Valley to Atkins back in May 2005. My longest outing was a SOBO thru-hike of the Long Trail in August 1979 lasting 24 days (21 of which had moisture of various types falling from the sky). All of my backpacking since 2000 has been focused solely on completing the AT, but I want to experience the Fall colors through Maine if at all possible.

Berserker
04-10-2014, 12:35
First do the JMT. After that I don't know if you just want to just stick to groomed trails, or if you have any interest in wandering around. If the latter interests you consider heading to Southern Utah and wandering around in Esclante National Monument. That area fits most of your criteria, and is really neat.

ocasey3
04-10-2014, 13:45
Have you considered doing some of the North Country Trail, maybe through the UP of Michigan?

Kerosene
04-10-2014, 13:46
Thanks Berserker. I've never heard of Esclante, as I know of it as Grand Staircase. I'll check it out.

rafe
04-10-2014, 14:16
JMT. for sure. Though I'd give it three weeks or more if need be. Can't see rushing through it, and probably ought to add a couple of days of acclimatization at the start. I hope to be doing that next summer.

Some day I think I'd like to re-do the AT through the Whites, but as an unbroken walk from Hanover to Gorham. I've seen far more of the Whites than most thru-hikers, but none of those hikes were longer than two or three days and the order and direction was totally random.

If you're never hiked in the Adirondacks you might want to give that a look-see. From some of the high peaks you'll be looking east over Lake Champlain at the ridges you hiked on the Long Trail. Bear canisters are required.

Sarcasm the elf
04-10-2014, 14:19

Mags
04-10-2014, 14:56
If you're never hiked in the Adirondacks you might want to give that a look-see. From some of the high peaks you'll be looking east over Lake Champlain at the ridges you hiked on the Long Trail. Bear canisters are required.

This looks promising. I always thought it would be a killer fall hike, too:
http://www.transadk.com/

coach lou
04-10-2014, 15:01
I'm with Bill..................northern Rockies

Teacher & Snacktime
04-10-2014, 16:50
LEMONADE!!! Congrats

Sarcasm the elf
04-10-2014, 18:17
Alright let me try this again...

Your signature says "GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2015?" If it were me, I would start by finishing up that last section so that you can change that 2015 to 2014!

rafe
04-10-2014, 19:01
Alright let me try this again...

Your signature says "GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2015?" If it were me, I would start by finishing up that last section so that you can change that 2015 to 2014!

That would be altogether too logical, sir.

Slosteppin
04-10-2014, 19:15
Should I assume you have already hiked the Superior Hiking Trail, the Border Route Trail and the Kekekabic Trail In Minnesota? Isle Royale is also a good hike.

Seatbelt
04-11-2014, 08:34
Kerosene, wherever you choose to hike, I wish you the best! Keep your trail journal updated for us, Thanks! Seatbelt

mak1277
04-11-2014, 08:44
If it were me, I'd be looking at Wyoming...Teton Crest Trail or just wandering around the Wind River Range for a week or two.

Mags
04-11-2014, 09:08
When I was laid off a few years back, my friend called my severance pay my "Hiking Benefits package". :)

Whatever you do: Enjoy!!!!

Kerosene
04-11-2014, 15:03
Your signature says "GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2015?" If it were me, I would start by finishing up that last section so that you can change that 2015 to 2014!I've already reserved late September to finish up the northernmost 220 miles of Maine, with enough buffer to wait for a Class 1 day to summit Katahdin. My original plan was to summit last year on the 40-year plan, but then I started hiking with my daughter and a new girlfriend enticed to me trade the AT for Banff last year.

I'm looking for other options in the June-August timeframe. I hadn't considered Wyoming, and I had forgotten about Isle Royale. Thanks folks!

Kerosene
04-11-2014, 15:05
Kerosene, wherever you choose to hike, I wish you the best! Keep your trail journal updated for us, Thanks! SeatbeltThanks Seatbelt. I see that you're rapidly chipping away at the AT. It would be great to hike with you again someday.

bamboo bob
04-11-2014, 15:31
Every time I think I've got a list of hikes I want to do I read something like this. I hope I live long enough. Also I say look at the New England National Scenic Trail

McPick
04-12-2014, 12:02
Dear Kerosene,

Somewhere back in those 5000+ AT participations of yours, there is a request from me seeking information about your experiences in the Whites. I'd completed the Springer to Hanover and Katahdin to Monson sections of the AT in 2006 and was fortunate to be able to finish the Hanover to Monson section in 2008. You were most kind to reply to my inquiries and exceedingly helpful with your responses to my questions.

Given your unfortunate situation and initial thoughts for the not-to-distant future I am compelled to join others of our hiking brethren and offer you my opinions and advice. Consider it a reciprocation, as it were...

First: It's difficult to leave a job, even when there is an anticipation. The fact that you realize that another door will open to you is a testament to your obviously strong moral and ethical codes regarding your being a productive member of society in these United States. Increasingly rare these days, eh? (I realize you really didn't say this but knowing you as I do, which I don't, I'd expect you to say it.)

Second: It's no wonder that you might feel a bit of trepidation and confusion regarding which of the numerous trails that you might hike this summer. So many choices and so little time... At this time in your life, to simply jump off and decide to "go hike" is certainly an understandable (knee jerk) thought process, but I must suggest, in the strongest terms, that you have obviously not thought this out very well, and hopefully you will realize (based on my offer below) that it is NOT advisable for you.

Third: My advice and offer is that you come to Missouri and take my job. I'll give it to you willingly. That way I can "go hike" the several trails I've got on my radar, and you can remain employed. I will sacrifice myself for you and (without giving it a second thought) again become an unproductive member of society in your stead.

No need to thank me... Just tell me how soon you'll be here!

Of course, you're wondering how I intend to pay for all this generosity. No sweat... A month or so ago, a kid on Whiteblaze asked if "you would hike the AT with only $4000?" My intended reply was rather 'tongue-in-cheek' but now seems entirely appropriate. I will write to him and tell him that I'm not sure if I can do it, but suggest he send me the 4K and I'll give it my best shot!

Warmest regards to you and yours, Kerosene, and best of luck with your plans. Given the close proximity of the SHT and it gentle inclines and declines, I would expect that would be a good warm up for you and your knees.

If you make it to southern Utah, don't hesitate to Google the slot canyons and research the established system to help hikers understand the difficulty of each. Spectacular, unique hiking experiences. And if you really want a thrill, Google the Wave. You're probably too late to try for a late-summer lottery slot to hike there (it's VERY restricted) (not to mention REALLY hot) but you can always stop at the ranger station and try for one of the 10 (bingo-balled) daily slots if you are in the area. And there's always Arches...

You are in an enviable situation, sir, that many of us are drooling over. On behalf of those wiping our chins, please keep us informed of your plans and progress.

Sincerest best wishes.

Oh, and with regard to my job? Never mind. You wouldn't want it either...http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon7.png

Spirit Walker
04-12-2014, 17:40
June is a bit of a problem, because it is hot and dry in the desert (ie the Escalante) but there will be a lot of heavy snow in Montana, but you could hike the JMT and/or Tahoe Rim trails then since it has been such a dry year there. Or you could hike the San Juan's in Colorado, though there will still be some snow in both places early in June. For July and August, you could either do the Colorado Trail as a thruhike, or, if you prefer shorter week long hikes, I would go spend a week or two in Glacier, a week or three in the Winds, a week or two in the Absaroka Beartooths. If you want to hike in the East, the Donut Hole Trail in PA is about 95 miles, or the Susquehannock is 80, or the Northville Placid or Finger Lakes Trails in New York are also possibilities.

pyroman53
04-13-2014, 11:59
June is a bit of a problem, because it is hot and dry in the desert (ie the Escalante) but there will be a lot of heavy snow in Montana, but you could hike the JMT and/or Tahoe Rim trails then since it has been such a dry year there. Or you could hike the San Juan's in Colorado, though there will still be some snow in both places early in June. For July and August, you could either do the Colorado Trail as a thruhike, or, if you prefer shorter week long hikes, I would go spend a week or two in Glacier

All great advice. I wish you luck in your job search and great weather for whatever trails you pursue. Maybe our paths will cross again someday soon amigo.

Mags
04-13-2014, 13:34
Wonder how the Allegheny Trail would be in June?

bigcranky
04-13-2014, 20:32
Wonder how the Allegheny Trail would be in June?

Is that the West Virginia hike? I passed the southern trailhead last year on my section hike at the end of May, and thought it would be a nice time of year to head north. Cooler in June or even late May, not too buggy yet. Would be a pleasant shorter hike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk