PDA

View Full Version : Section hike recommendation (one week end of April/beginning of May)

Sockfuss
04-10-2014, 11:01
Hi,

I am new to this forum and have been reading a lot the last days. You guys are a great resource!

Now, a friend and I plan to do a one-week section hike at the end of April/beginning of May.
Can you recommend a particular section? We look for the following (roughly in that order):

1. Beautiful and varying nature (mountains/hills, forests, rivers/creeks/waterfalls, vistas).
2. Plants/trees should be green or start to be green already. No snow or mud (or rain...).
3. Not crowded (a handful of people/day are ok).

My father in law is flying in from Europe to do this with me.
I would be very happy if you could help me make this a great experience for him!
He is not the youngest, so it should not be too many miles per day (~10 maybe?)

Given the above points, it would probably have to be Virginia or even North Carolina?
I am based in New Jersey, Georgia would be too far (NC is really far already).

If the southern part of the AT is really crowded at this time, alternative trails are also welcome!

Thank you in advance for your help,
Sockfuss

FarmerChef
04-10-2014, 11:14
I would heartily recommend Shenandoah National Park. It has what you seek assuming the hikers are still sticking around Damascus for trail days around that time. You'd probably have a few tourists closer to trailheads but the trade off is easy access to campsites/shelters spaced at the distance you specified on average. And of course, great views from the many road crossings/lookouts.

Another great section (but probably a bit busier) is Daleville south to somewhere north of Partnership shelter (maybe Atkins?). This gives you the Tinker Cliffs, McAfee Knob and Dragon's tooth. At the bottom of the tooth SOBO there is a road and parking area there if the distance was more amenable to your schedule.

In North Carolina I recommend hiking from Roan High Knob to Wautauga Lake or vice versa. Waterfalls, including the beautiful Laurel Falls, two balds and large rhododendrons on Roan if the timing is right.

If you're looking for something a bit easier, I recommend Harper's Ferry up to Caledonia or there abouts. You get the Shenandoah and Potomac river confluence in HF, a few great views including Raven Rocks and Weverton Cliffs, a bit of history (Gathland State Park - War Correspondents Memorial and Washington Monument SP - Original Washington Monument) and largely ridge walking after the initial climbs in and out of gaps.

Any way you cut it you'll have a great time. Hope that helps.

bigcranky
04-10-2014, 11:27
The southern part of the AT does have a lot of hikers in early May, but I'd still recommend it. Not sure the total distance you can hike (does the week include driving?), so you can add/trim as needed:

1. Roan Mountain area in NC. Amazing views. Maybe start in Erwin, TN and hike North. (Erwin is easy access from the interstate.) You should easily make it to US 19E, and keep going to Hampton will get you woods and waterfalls and creeks too. Then get a shuttle back to Erwin.

2. Southwest Virginia. Drive to Damascus, VA, and start hiking north. You can make it to Marion in a week, then get a shuttle back. More terrific views, wild ponies, creeks and waterfalls. Also easy access from I-81.

3. Central Virginia. Lots of choices, maybe Dalesville to Pearisburg -- that's a tough section as the trail goes perpendicular to the ridgelines (up and over, up and over, up and over) but it has nice views and usually good weather in May. Dalesville is right on I-81.

2. Plants/trees should be green or start to be green already. No snow or mud (or rain...).

No rain. Heh. Good luck with that :)

Have fun, some great opportunities here.

Skid.
04-10-2014, 12:00
Another vote for NoBo starting at Harpers Ferry. You get to visit the headquarters; It's great coming to the view at PennMar Park; and soon after that, you have one whole state done!

Slo-go'en
04-10-2014, 12:18
Hard to beat NC/TN this time of year. Yes, its a bit busy but not too bad. North of the Smokies, they are starting to thin out and spread out. Getting there is a bit of a problem if you want to use public transportation. There aren't any bus stops close to the trail through there.

MuddyWaters
04-10-2014, 20:34
If you start down in GA, you will be behind the bulk of the thru hikers. You will have a few stragglers, but not many at all compared to the hordes that started 3 weeks earlier. Elevations are lower, temps are milder. Several nice falls , and a few views, and spring will be popping up all overr in the lower elevations. Its a great time. You can see the green line creeping up the mountains. Above 4000 will be less springlike most likely.

From the smokies north to Damascus or so will have many more hikers.

Sockfuss
04-11-2014, 00:18
Thank you everybody for your suggestions, they all sound great!

We will have 9 days in total maximum, and that includes getting there and back. So not more than seven full hiking days.

I should have mentioned that we both already spent some time in the Shenandoah Park, so we would prefer hiking another part of the trail. Also we would like to avoid walking close to roads. I know it's only the scenic drive, but still that makes it feel much less like being "in nature".

I will look into the details of all the other suggestions. The section between Damascus and Daleville sounds really beautiful. Also the Roan Mountain Area is tempting, although it might be a bit crowded in our time window? North of Harpers Ferry sounds good too, and probably least busy? Georgia is tempting too, but I fear it would be too far for us (from NJ).

How does the section between Waynesboro and Roanoke compare to, say, the section between Roanoke and Damascus? Is it less interesting?

And how about the part south of interstate 40, towards the Smokies? How does it compare to the Roan Mountain Area?

Thank you for your valuable help!
I really anticipate the trip.

Sockfuss

Sockfuss
04-11-2014, 00:25
I just see that Daleville to Partnership Shelter is 192 miles.
Which part of that is most beautiful/interesting for a seven-day-hike?

Sockfuss
04-11-2014, 00:47
How is the section between Hot Springs and Erwin? Compared to Erwin-Watauga Lake?

Enough for today, I need to sleep.

Good night!
Sockfuss

bigcranky
04-11-2014, 10:00
I just see that Daleville to Partnership Shelter is 192 miles.
Which part of that is most beautiful/interesting for a seven-day-hike?

Start in Daleville and walk south. That will get you the best scenery (Dragons Tooth, MacAfee Knob, etc.) You might get to Pearisburg depending on how fast you hike.

bigcranky
04-11-2014, 10:01
How is the section between Hot Springs and Erwin? Compared to Erwin-Watauga Lake?

It's ok. Some nice views from the top of Big Hump.

Erwin north to 19E is better, IMHO.