PDA

View Full Version : clothes for section hike

TSWisla
04-10-2014, 11:32
I will be going for 4 days or so before I can do a wash and then will plan to go for 3 or 4 more days. I am bringing one pair of pants and 2 shirts for wear while hiking. For camp/night, I have a t-shirt and shorts. I am bringing 3 pairs of socks. I have a beach hat and a winter cap. Am I taking the right stuff for GA/NC in two weeks? Thank you.

flemdawg1
04-10-2014, 12:42
Add a fleece. Until Mid-may you can easily get to freezing in the mountains.

12trysomething
04-10-2014, 12:44
I will offer this. The trip is in the Adirondacks in NY at the end of May. Lows will be 25-30 and highs could get to 70.

http://youtu.be/J-Tg_DSY-eo

FarmerChef
04-10-2014, 15:19
It can still get quite chilly up in those mountains at night. You'll probably want the shorts and t-shirt during the day and the pants/long sleeves at night in camp, as the temperature spread can be quite significant. I would add a fleece top as flemdawg suggests and some form of windbreaker. A 20 mile per hour breeze with temps in the 40s is still quite chilly, even with a fleece on - especially when standing still like in camp or at a break. Heck, even walking downhill it can get quite cold. You may also want a real light glove, especially if you hike with poles. Right now, in the Smokies, some nights are still getting down into the upper 20s. When you pull out of camp in the morning, hands on your cold pole handles, it's awfully nice to have a pair of gloves to keep 'em warm until the sun really starts to cook everything off.

This is the shoulder season and really tough for clothing. I really want to ditch my 3 season gear and just go with summer weight items but in the mountains right now that's a recipe for discomfort at best. Even with a 20 degree quilt, I'd be doomed to getting to camp and crawling right in without my smartwool and fleece top, especially if pulling into camp late in the day.

Energizer Bunny
04-13-2014, 09:39
I live in the N Ga mtn sand agreed that you will need a fleece. I would actually leave the t shirt and shorts at home and bring long johns and a long sleeve t for camp. It is suppose to be in the 60's next week and low in the 30's. Throw some gloves in too :). Have a great hike.

daddytwosticks
04-13-2014, 16:07
I'll second FarmerChef's recommendations for some light gloves. While breaking camp last Sunday at Tray Mtn. Shelter, I was very fortunate to have a pair of light poly glove liners. The temps were maybe high 30's with a stiff wind. Wore them for the fist hour while using my trekking poles until my blood finally got circulating. My wind shirt saved the day also. :)

Del Q
04-13-2014, 20:07
Less, early days I used to pack too many clothes............clean up when you get back. (ie one pair of underwear)

One item (that I just washed up this weekend post spring section hike) is my Go Lite wind shirt. Super light, versatile, use it a LOT.

Wear an icebreaker merino wool tee shirt as my baselayer 100% of the time, often put the wind shirt on next THEN a thicker later, reverse as night. On last hike slept in tee shirt and wind shirt several times in the cold and was fine.