PDA

View Full Version : Harper's Ferry to....?

MountainsCalling
04-10-2014, 11:40
Hey everyone! I'm an enthusiastic newbie here on WhiteBlaze, but my time has finally come to see some of the AT with my own eyes.

My wife and I are planning a 4 day section hike at the end of May, and we're planning on starting in Harper's Ferry, WV. We're both in good shape, but certainly not marathon runners. I'd imagine our pace would be between 7-10 miles per day as this will be my wife's first time backpacking (she's done plenty of hiking and camping, though).

Would it be wise to park the car at Harper's Ferry National Historical Park, and hike North? If so, what would the best way be to get back to the car on the last day?

Thanks much!

MDSection12
04-10-2014, 11:50
Hey everyone! I'm an enthusiastic newbie here on WhiteBlaze, but my time has finally come to see some of the AT with my own eyes.

My wife and I are planning a 4 day section hike at the end of May, and we're planning on starting in Harper's Ferry, WV. We're both in good shape, but certainly not marathon runners. I'd imagine our pace would be between 7-10 miles per day as this will be my wife's first time backpacking (she's done plenty of hiking and camping, though).

Would it be wise to park the car at Harper's Ferry National Historical Park, and hike North? If so, what would the best way be to get back to the car on the last day?

Thanks much!
I would recommend heading north for one simple reason; you can cross a state off your list! Your schedule should make all of MD a fairly easy hike. Lots of history, a few good overlooks and even a fine dining experience (Old South Mountain Inn, near halfway) can be had. :)

I might suggest starting at the PA border instead though, simply because then your hike ends in Harper's Ferry where you can celebrate with a nice meal at any number of hiker-friendly places.

As for logistics, there are a number of hostels there that offer shuttling services. That's a really common shuttle request (Pen Mar park to Harper's Ferry or vice versa).

If you have any questions or need any kind of help feel free to send me a message. As my username suggests, this is my territory. :)

MountainsCalling
04-10-2014, 13:01
Thanks so much! This is all very exciting - I can't wait to knock out some miles :)

rafe
04-10-2014, 14:51
The hiking just south from Harpers Ferry isn't really on anybody's list of favorite AT sections; it's known derisively as "the roller coaster." The hiking north from there is fairly mellow, and you can be in PA in short order. IIRC there's only about 40 or 50 miles of AT through Maryland.

MDSection12
04-10-2014, 14:59
The hiking just south from Harpers Ferry isn't really on anybody's list of favorite AT sections; it's known derisively as "the roller coaster." The hiking north from there is fairly mellow, and you can be in PA in short order. IIRC there's only about 40 or 50 miles of AT through Maryland.
Forty-two to be exact. I'd agree about south of HF. It has a more remote feel than MD (though neither are really remote) but that's about the only thing I liked about it. MD as a section hike is extremely popular. It's fairly easy and has some decent sights on the way.

Plan on camping at Annapolis Rocks one night. It's the highlight of MD, in my opinion.

FarmerChef
04-10-2014, 15:10
Agreed with everyone here. As for whether to do it SOBO or NOBO it's really up to you. Perhaps the steepest climb is the switchbacks up Weverton Cliffs, though you are rewarded at the top with a wonderful place to stop and relax while taking in a stunning vista of Harper's Ferry and the Potomac/Shenandoah rivers. After that it's a lot of walking on the top of relatively "flat" ridges with more significant elevation gains/losses at various gaps along the way. The southern end is relatively rock free and what rocks you do have will be large and mostly flat. The northern end has a few more rocks to contend with but these are again large and flat. 7 to 10 miles per day can easily be had in this section. Don't be surprised if you find yourself thinking, "Wow. It's only 2 in the afternoon. Maybe we'll do just a couple more."

There's a lot of history in this section, fairly developed camping options (including Gathland Park, Dahlgren Backpacker Campground, and Greenbriar State Park), easy access to potable water and more as MDSection12 pointed out. It's where I took my wife and kids on their first hike and I believe many of our subsequent hikes were successful because we got to get our feet wet in a very forgiving stretch of trail. Have a great time!

MountainsCalling
04-10-2014, 15:17
Thanks again everyone! I ran it past the Mrs. and she's all for it. It looks like we'll hike North from Harper's Ferry to Pen Mar where we'll find some form of shuttle back to our car. I'm really looking forward to the trip!

MDSection12
04-10-2014, 15:21
If you can't work out a shuttle for some reason send me a message. Can't make any promises this far out, but it's possible I'd be able to help.

FarmerChef
04-10-2014, 15:23
If you can't work out a shuttle for some reason send me a message. Can't make any promises this far out, but it's possible I'd be able to help.

Ditto here.

MountainsCalling
04-10-2014, 15:24
You're too kind! I'll keep that in mind :)

Old_Man
04-11-2014, 12:14
Just reading this thread makes me want to go! Added bonus that Amtrak will drop you off right on the trail in HF.

Yankytyke
04-12-2014, 20:59
Yeah I'd suggest heading North to Pennmarr. Going south from Pennmarr will having you climbing High Rock. It's not nice going down, going up I dont want to do soon. I'm sure more of our seasoned members laugh when I type about High Rock:)
Like the two other offers I could happily take you bak to Harpers Ferry. I'm about 15 minutes from Pennmarr so it will be a doddle.

QHShowoman
04-13-2014, 07:28
I'd rather climb up High Rock than up to Weverton any day of the week. :-) But if you go northbound, at least you'll be going DOWN Lamb's Knoll, which I think is the worst climb of the section.

Yankytyke
04-13-2014, 15:07
I'd rather climb up High Rock than up to Weverton any day of the week. :-) But if you go northbound, at least you'll be going DOWN Lamb's Knoll, which I think is the worst climb of the section.

Where be Lamb's knoll?

MDSection12
04-13-2014, 15:21
Where be Lamb's knoll?
Just South of Rocky Run Shelters, or a few miles North of Gathland. I'd agree, that's the worst climb in MD (when going South)... But that isn't saying much. :p

Yankytyke
04-13-2014, 16:49
Just South of Rocky Run Shelters, or a few miles North of Gathland. I'd agree, that's the worst climb in MD (when going South)... But that isn't saying much. :p

North of Gathland??? Can't place it. I know going South on the way to Gathland there is a steady & annoying climb in the woods. That bothered me more than the climb to High Rock from Pennmar. If I can see the summit I'm not that bothered by it. I can see my goal.
SB from Gathland to Harpers Ferry has to be the easiest part of the AT I've let to do.

MDSection12
04-13-2014, 17:55
That would be the one. Going South you'd cross Reno Monument road, by the civil war general's gravesite, and start up the hill. A mile or so in you pass the Rocky Run Shelters' blue blaze, and a mile or so after that you cross a little access road. Just after you pass near the summit you come to White Rock (one of many with that name in the area).

It's not a terrible climb, but it's steady and fairly rocky. High Rock is more rocky, but not as long. Weverton is steeper, but has more switchbacks and less rocks.

QHShowoman
04-14-2014, 08:09
Just reading MDSection12's description gave me shivers... but I've vowed to be able to kick that hill's @ss by the end of summer, as payback for kicking mine in October. :-)

MountainsCalling
04-14-2014, 10:38
Well it seems like we've set our plans in stone! Harper's Ferry to Pen Mar it is - thank you to everyone for your recommendations, and offers of transportation!

I'm sure my wife will enjoy her first foray into backpacking,though my AMEX bill for the last minute supplies probably wont!

Mrs Baggins
04-14-2014, 10:55
Pen Mar sobo to Harpers Ferry - definitely. Then you don't have to climb nobo to Weverton Cliff. Hideous switchback. And ending HF is wonderful - draft beers and burgers on the deck at Secret Six Tavern :)

Riocielo
04-14-2014, 11:20
What would be the best time of year to do this as a section hike?

"The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord."

illabelle
04-14-2014, 12:42
My husband and I did Maryland in March a couple years ago. It was cool, even had snow showers one day, but generally comfortable. I expect it could be almost hot in May.
I remember it as a relatively easy section. A few points that have been made, but maybe not strongly enough, are in support of doing this section SOBO.
1. SOBO is generally downhill - after all, you're walking towards the river.
2. Harpers Ferry is a better place to leave a vehicle. Arrange for a shuttler to pick you up there and drop you off at Penn Mar Park. It's more convenient to walk toward your car.

Camp David is near the AT in Maryland. We entertained ourselves by pretending the Feds were looking for us: (that deer up ahead is really a cleverly disguised remote control surveillance device.) Silly, huh? Yeah, I know. :p

MountainsCalling
04-14-2014, 14:50
My husband and I did Maryland in March a couple years ago. It was cool, even had snow showers one day, but generally comfortable. I expect it could be almost hot in May.
I remember it as a relatively easy section. A few points that have been made, but maybe not strongly enough, are in support of doing this section SOBO.
1. SOBO is generally downhill - after all, you're walking towards the river.
2. Harpers Ferry is a better place to leave a vehicle. Arrange for a shuttler to pick you up there and drop you off at Penn Mar Park. It's more convenient to walk toward your car.

Camp David is near the AT in Maryland. We entertained ourselves by pretending the Feds were looking for us: (that deer up ahead is really a cleverly disguised remote control surveillance device.) Silly, huh? Yeah, I know. :p

Thanks for the clarifacation, illabelle! I think I'll have a much happier wife if we're not hiking uphill for 4 days.

MDSection12
04-14-2014, 15:26
Thanks for the clarifacation, illabelle! I think I'll have a much happier wife if we're not hiking uphill for 4 days.
I prefer SOBO for MD, but mostly because then I can wait for my ride at a bar in HF. If you're deciding based on hills I think you're thinking about it wrong. There are plenty of hills in both directions... Lots of which we haven't even mentioned.

illabelle
04-14-2014, 15:32

MC, looking back at your original post, I see you only have four days. The whole of Maryland is about 42 miles, which might be a bit much for your wife's first backpacking adventure, as that would be 10+ miles per day. Whether you go SOBO or NOBO, identify some easy places to bail out if you need to. I understand that you're both "in good shape", but that won't prevent you from getting painful blisters. Plan to go at a pace that allows you to enjoy your adventure, and don't worry about finishing the state or having to walk all the way to your car. Carry phone numbers for 2 or 3 shuttlers in the area, and if you need to bail, call for a ride.

Now if it turns out that what you really meant was 4 nights/5 days on the trail, then you can probably do the whole thing. Good luck with your trip!

Yankytyke
04-14-2014, 17:01
That would be the one. Going South you'd cross Reno Monument road, by the civil war general's gravesite, and start up the hill. A mile or so in you pass the Rocky Run Shelters' blue blaze, and a mile or so after that you cross a little access road. Just after you pass near the summit you come to White Rock (one of many with that name in the area).

It's not a terrible climb, but it's steady and fairly rocky. High Rock is more rocky, but not as long. Weverton is steeper, but has more switchbacks and less rocks.

Yep I know what you mean:) I don't do names for the climbs. Just remember them on how much they make my heart pound:)
i just did Wolfsville Road to Rt 40 again this past Saturday. The initial climb to the ridge kicked my ass. Last year I did it no problems. Need to get back into shape:)

MDSection12
04-14-2014, 17:20
Yep I know what you mean:) I don't do names for the climbs. Just remember them on how much they make my heart pound:)
i just did Wolfsville Road to Rt 40 again this past Saturday. The initial climb to the ridge kicked my ass. Last year I did it no problems. Need to get back into shape:)

Ya Wolfsville Road up to the ridge heading South is one of the others I was thinking of. Not terribly long, but it gets the blood going for sure...

I must have passed you... I hiked from 40 to Pogo Memorial Campground Saturday afternoon, then stayed the night. We had two dogs with us, if that rings a bell.

Yankytyke
04-14-2014, 18:52
Don't recall any dogs. I took a breather at the blue trail to 'thingy cragg' where the spring is. You might have passed by me there. Unless you remember a fat bald guy?:)

QHShowoman
04-14-2014, 20:54
It's totally doable in 3 nights/4 days, even for a beginner backpacker, assuming that you're comfortable hiking 10 miles at a stretch. I did it in October after not having backpacked in years (and being overweight and in terrible shape...and 2 months after I had surgery) and I was able to do it. I would've probably enjoyed it a heck of a lot more if I was more fit at the time, but my point is, it's totally doable!

Personally, I think it's harder, mileage wise, to do this section NOBO, only because your biggest mileage days are up front, but you may be better off to get them done with while you're still fresh. Note that Crampton Gap is easily accessible so it fills up with car campers and scouts on weekends, so plan accordingly.

Harper's Ferry - Crampton Gap: 11 miles
Crampton Gap - Pine Knob: 12.5 miles
Pine Knob - Cowall Shelter: 8 miles
Cowall Shelter - PenMar Park: 10 miles

As for blisters. Well. I've never gotten one from hiking. Or backpacking. Wear boots/shoes that are broken in, socks that don't move around on you, and let your feet dry out each night and you shouldn't have a problem.

MountainsCalling
04-15-2014, 08:08
I'm very new here, but I absolutely love all of the support and suggestions this community has to offer - you all really make a newbie feel at home.

We'll certainly be planning bail-out points along the way - but I'm confident that we'll be able to push through.