PDA

View Full Version : Shorts w/merino wool material for thru hike?

FinnMelanson
04-10-2014, 13:55
I was perusing the internet looking for a good pair of shorts to wear on my upcoming thru-hike and I cam across the Ibex brand, which is expensive, but I like that is has merino wool material.

Does anyone have any experience hiking in Ibex-brand shorts? Or in any shorts with merino wool material?

flemdawg1
04-10-2014, 14:03
For underwear, yes. For regular outer-layer shorts, merino is too fragile.

FinnMelanson
04-10-2014, 14:26
How so? I ask only because I know many people on these boards hike in merino wool t-shirts.

FinnMelanson
04-10-2014, 14:27
And wonder why that would not apply accordingly to shorts as well. Thanks for the help on this matter!

flemdawg1
04-10-2014, 14:44
You don't routinely sit or slide on your shirts.

imscotty
04-10-2014, 14:49
I bought a pair of Icebreaker Sonic Merino Wool Shorts. See here...

http://us.icebreaker.com/en/mens-shorts/sonic-5-inch-shorts/101054G67L.html

I am very happy with the comfort of these shorts. I have not used them on any long distance hikes so I cannot speak to their longevity.

Lambarrassment
04-10-2014, 15:10
Hey Finn! I'm a huge fan of merino - it's what I use for my upper body baselayers. Don't know about shorts, though--I'm not sure how well they'd put up with continual abrasion.

I use Under Armour Escape 7" running shorts. They have a mesh liner and functional pockets, both of which are a godsend. They're also super lightweight and thin enough to be used as underwear. Never had a problem with these bad boys--I even use them to go swimming. At $30 new, they're also going to be a fraction of the cost of anything made from merino.

Also, I see you're in Amherst! That's where I grew up. Good to know there will be someone else familiar with the Happy Valley out on the trail. Keep an eye out for me - I'll be the guy wearing a ninja turtles hat!

FinnMelanson
04-10-2014, 21:36
Hey Finn! I'm a huge fan of merino - it's what I use for my upper body baselayers. Don't know about shorts, though--I'm not sure how well they'd put up with continual abrasion.

I use Under Armour Escape 7" running shorts. They have a mesh liner and functional pockets, both of which are a godsend. They're also super lightweight and thin enough to be used as underwear. Never had a problem with these bad boys--I even use them to go swimming. At $30 new, they're also going to be a fraction of the cost of anything made from merino.

Also, I see you're in Amherst! That's where I grew up. Good to know there will be someone else familiar with the Happy Valley out on the trail. Keep an eye out for me - I'll be the guy wearing a ninja turtles hat!

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I will be graduating from the University at the end of the month. I plan to hit the trail running on the morning of May 5th and hope to finish by the first week of September. I'm sure I will see you out there.