PDA

View Full Version : Permethrin Spray w/Applicator to Treat Clothing

SunnyWalker
04-10-2014, 15:36
Heads up: I recently ordered and paid for a 24 oz. bottle of Permethrin (w/applicator) from Campmor for $14.89 dollars. Yesterday I walked through my local Wal-Mart and found to my surprise (never seen this before) for sale the same bottle, same 24 oz., same solution mix-for $9.89! Looks like I might get a second bottle. Thought I'd pass on the info. :)

saltysack
04-10-2014, 15:38
Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colorado_rob
04-10-2014, 16:53
Excellent tip! One hour too late... I just paid $16 at REI for my bottle. Good old Walmart!

Astro
04-11-2014, 00:42
Excellent tip! One hour too late... I just paid $16 at REI for my bottle. Good old Walmart!

Its great if it has it. You can usually feel pretty comfortable when you find what you want at WalMart it is a good price.

Offshore
04-11-2014, 12:50
Just made a run over to the Walmart by my office - 12oz for ~$10. Not even a shelf slot for the 24 oz size. Worth a shot, but back to Amazon Prime....

Slo-go'en
04-11-2014, 14:09
Went looking for some the other day - all my store has is DEET. Am I looking in the wrong place (camping) ?

icemanat95
04-11-2014, 14:56
There is also a service out there that can take your favorite clothing (including socks) and subject them to the same durable treatment as the military and bug-off clothing gets. Good for something like 70 washings. It's not precisely cheap, but it also won't wash out, and it probably comes in less expensive that the spray from the store once you factor in re-treatments for the spray.

Kerosene
04-11-2014, 14:59
On-line the 24-oz applicator is shown for almost $16. My guess is that this was either a mis-price or they were trying to move the merchandise in this store.

slbirdnerd
04-11-2014, 15:07
I have found it before at one WalMart but not the other. Sometimes Cabela's has it, if you have one nearby.

Hoss Cat
04-11-2014, 17:06
I just bought 2 bottles at Walmart for 9.89 as well, In KY, so it must no be a regional thing.

Deacon
04-11-2014, 17:31
Went looking for some the other day - all my store has is DEET. Am I looking in the wrong place (camping) ?

I see that Dick's Sporting Goods has it, if there's one in your area.

Slo-go'en
04-11-2014, 21:09
I see that Dick's Sporting Goods has it, if there's one in your area.

Nope, might not even be one in the state of NH for all I know.

gof
04-12-2014, 01:29
They also have a good price on the Sawyer Mini.

Energizer Bunny
04-22-2014, 19:54
There is also a service out there that can take your favorite clothing (including socks) and subject them to the same durable treatment as the military and bug-off clothing gets. Good for something like 70 washings. It's not precisely cheap, but it also won't wash out, and it probably comes in less expensive that the spray from the store once you factor in re-treatments for the spray.

Iceman - do you know what the name of the treatment is or the name of the company?

theoilman
04-22-2014, 20:27
Academy Sports usually carries it too, somewhere around the $15 to $16 price. The last time I bought it I had to find a manager to find it. They moved it from camping to a different department.

HikerMom58
04-22-2014, 21:30
Gotta get me some of that .... thanks SunnyWalker!

Snowleopard
04-22-2014, 21:37
It's Insect Shield. The long lasting treatment makes sense to me for a long hike because of the inconvenience of buying and using the spray permethrin on the trail. New clothing pretreated with Insect Shield is nice but pretty expensive.
http://www.insectshield.com/PDF/IS%20Your%20Own%20Clothes%20-%20U.S.%20form.pdf
$10 per item plus shipping.

Theosus
04-24-2014, 12:05
What about a bottle of hi-yield 33% permethrin and a gallon size bug sprayer from lowes? Together about $40 but you can spray around your house and keep out the ants and such, too...

MamaBear
04-24-2014, 15:59
Nope, might not even be one in the state of NH for all I know.

There's one in Concord, near the mall. Probably not worth coming down to Concord when you can just order it online.

The Old Boot
04-24-2014, 16:16
What about a bottle of hi-yield 33% permethrin and a gallon size bug sprayer from lowes? Together about $40 but you can spray around your house and keep out the ants and such, too...

Most likely you will find that that mix you're looking at has a petroleum base that you just might not want on your clothing. The Sawyer stuff is meant for on your clothes and gear, the rest is meant for around the barn, the stable, the house, etc. etc.

Different formulation and way different 'other ingredients'.

jeffmeh
04-25-2014, 05:50
http://www.amazon.com/Martins-Permethrin-10-Indoor-Outdoor/dp/B001EVKCKM

If you are willing to take some basic precautions to avoid body contact when wet, you can dilute this down to 0.5% (or 0.8% for the military protocol), and use a spray or dunk treatment. Let everything dry thoroughly before handling with bare skin. It has worked very well for me. I generally put clothing that will directly contact the skin through one wash before wearing.