PDA

View Full Version : Damascus to Dickey Gap

Goonky
04-13-2014, 08:56
Hey all,

Looking to do the section from Damascus to Dickey Gap in June. Few question:

Any recommendation on best time in June to do this section? Pretty flowers would be nice to see.
What's the parking like at Dickey Gap? Safe? I wouldn't mind paying for safer parking nearby if it's available.
Can anyone recommend a shuttle to pick me up at Dickey Gap and bring me to Damascus? FYI, I will have my dog Charlie with me, but he's a good boy, and rides beautifully in cars.

This looks to be about 50 miles and I believe it will take me through Grayson Highlands. If you've done this section and want to share any info that would be great.

Lone Wolf
04-13-2014, 09:28
Hey all,

Looking to do the section from Damascus to Dickey Gap in June. Few question:

Any recommendation on best time in June to do this section? Pretty flowers would be nice to see.
What's the parking like at Dickey Gap? Safe? I wouldn't mind paying for safer parking nearby if it's available.
Can anyone recommend a shuttle to pick me up at Dickey Gap and bring me to Damascus? FYI, I will have my dog Charlie with me, but he's a good boy, and rides beautifully in cars.

This looks to be about 50 miles and I believe it will take me through Grayson Highlands. If you've done this section and want to share any info that would be great.
it's better to park in damascus, shuttle to dickey gap and walk southbound into damascus. i do shuttles. PM me your plans

Almost There
04-13-2014, 13:24
it's better to park in damascus, shuttle to dickey gap and walk southbound into damascus. i do shuttles. PM me your plans

Agree with Wolf, who shuttled me when I did this section...hiking this section SOBO is awesome...and if you're not a white blaze nazi then hike the Creeper into Damascus once you get on it. Enjoy the hike!

Lone Wolf
04-13-2014, 14:01
there's no good parking at dickey gap

Goonky
04-13-2014, 17:22
Thanks guys.

Lone Wolf, I sent you a PM.

Tron-Life
04-13-2014, 17:27
I'm headed to the trail for a section hike in that same area. I'll be sure to write up a trip report so you know what to expect,though I will be doing it south bound. Good luck with all your planning.