PDA

View Full Version : Lowest cost gear list possible

ryan850
04-13-2014, 14:02
I have a friend who has never backpacked, but wants to try it out for a long weekend or a week-long trip without spending a lot of money. She asked how cheaply she could get everything she needs. This made me start wondering, how cheaply could you do it? I have so much extra gear that honestly, she wouldn't have to buy anything, but I wanted to ask you all as a general question. This interests me because I think I could get more people to give it a try if it wasn't much of an initial investment.

Used gear might be a way to go, but it's not always easy to find exactly what you need. Also, my first set of gear only cost about $500 and my first trip cost $80, including the cost of gas, permits, and a boat to take me to North Manitou Island in Michigan, so my usual answer is a week vacation for under $600 is worth it even if you don't go backpacking again.

But just because this is fun to me, and hopefully to someone else on here, let's say you had $300. Could you put together a sub-30 pound gear list together that would be sufficient for a week on the trail in the summer, that would not be so uncomfortable as to backfire and make them less likely to go backpacking again?

Some thoughts for the big four:

Pack: Golite Jam 50 or similar (30 oz.) ... $110
Shelter: DIY Tyvek Rain Tarp and Groundcloth (17 oz.)... $0 if you're lucky enough to find it for free
or Grand Trunk Hammock and Tyvek Rain Tarp, which I have used several nights myself (23 oz)... $20
Sleeping bag: 45 degree bag, maybe Marmot NanoWave (29 oz) ... $70
Sleeping Pad: Blue foam Mat (8 oz.) ... $6

Weight: 5 lbs. 4 oz. ... $186
With hammock: 5 lbs. 10 oz. $206

Uncomfortable sleeping and bugs might keep them from ever wanting to try it again, but a bug net and better sleeping pad wouldn't be too much more. I don't know if this interests anyone else, but I frequently have people telling me they want to try backpacking for a weekend, but don't have gear. I thought it would be nice to have an idea of cost and a gear list ready made for them.

bigcranky
04-13-2014, 16:07
Some good ideas at this link. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?190-Cheap-Gear-%96-How-to-Dirt-Bag-and-Deal-Shop-Like-a-Professional)I wouldn't start a newbie with a frameless rucksack, though.

Slo-go'en
04-13-2014, 16:37
A summer time weekend trip does not require much gear. A sleeping bag, tent, some no cook food, maybe a change of clothes and a pack. I'd go shopping at Walmart and see what they got. Tent might be the only issue, I haven't looked to see what they currently have to offer there. But I did see an $80, 32 degree down bag there the other day.

MuddyWaters
04-13-2014, 18:13
I seem to recall a 60-odd yr old granmother that hiked the trail wearing keds sneakers, with a shower curtain for shelter, a laundry bag over her shoulder to carry stuff, and a wool blanket for sleeping. If I recall correctly, she did it a couple of times. You dont actually NEED much gear at all. Seriously. You might WANT it, but thats different.

Slo-go'en
04-13-2014, 20:36
I seem to recall a 60-odd yr old granmother that hiked the trail wearing keds sneakers, with a shower curtain for shelter, a laundry bag over her shoulder to carry stuff, and a wool blanket for sleeping. If I recall correctly, she did it a couple of times. You dont actually NEED much gear at all. Seriously. You might WANT it, but thats different.

Of course, that was at a time when much of the trail was still on rural roads and I understand she spent a lot of nights in peoples houses along the way. Trying to get away with the stuff Grama Gatewood used today would be much more of a challenge.

MuddyWaters
04-13-2014, 20:44
Of course, that was at a time when much of the trail was still on rural roads and I understand she spent a lot of nights in peoples houses along the way. Trying to get away with the stuff Grama Gatewood used today would be much more of a challenge.

I dont think things have changed that much. You can stay in a shelter every single night now . All you need is warm woolen clothing from thrift stores,, and a heavy wool blanket, and something to carry it all in. Plus food and a canteen. Maybe some bleach drops.

People today WANT all kinds of nifty gear that people of yesteryear did perfectly fine without.

If anything, the numerous towns, road crossings, and hiker services might make it easier.

Meriadoc
04-13-2014, 20:50
Toss in a poncho, some fleece, aqua mira, and go!

myakka_
04-13-2014, 21:05
Here I go singing the praises of Walmart.............

Sawyer mini water filter- $20
2lb 32degree sleeping bag- $40
Internal frame pack by Outdoor 3lbs- $40
Fleece? Probably, synthetic if not- $40-ish
Sleeping pad 3lbs- $10

Add to this an all in one tent shelter from Sportsman's Guide my other goto cheap site:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/fox-gi-style-jungle-hammock.aspx?a=1180122
They don't list a weight, but the larger version is only 5lbs, this one costs $50

Looks like she could be set with basics for around $200 and weigh in less than 20lbs

I am not saying that I would turn down more expensive gear if it was offered, but to "test" herself in hiking, this would get her on the trail.

myakka_
04-13-2014, 21:06
I also bought a "hiker/biker" tent (their name for it) from them years ago for $20 and it weighs about 3lbs. I have used it all over the country on deployments and it has held up very well.

Teacher & Snacktime
04-14-2014, 00:21
I have a Kelty Tempest 2p tent from Dicks.....on sale $69 4lbs...most of my other "starter" gear is just what you listed Myakka. When all was said and done, including clothing, shoes, and food, our first outfitting (for 3 people) ran just over $1000

daddytwosticks
04-14-2014, 07:16
Anybody up for a Grandma Gatewood retro hike? I have an old wool blanket down in the basement! I just have to convince my wife to give up the shower curtain. :)

scudder
04-14-2014, 07:27
there was a thread started by sgt rock on 8/22/04 called the "$300 challenge". a little dated, but a lot of good ideas there.

Old Hiker
04-14-2014, 07:35
Try asking a local Scout Troop - Boy or Girl - for loaner equipment. Maybe trade for some teaching time, etc.

I'll bet Grandma Gatewood ALSO didn't have an electronic *whatever* shoved into her.......... ear 24/7.

I always wonder how "primitive" our nifty stuff of today will be in 30 years.

leaftye
04-14-2014, 08:26
Used is a good way to go for the big items as long as you're willing to clean them and do it properly.

Here's a bag for $50. I've seen this price for 20°F down bags more than a few times.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?100271-FS-used-Gear

This site is really good for searching multiple forums, but appears to be down right now. Hopefully it's temporary.
www.lwhiker.com

It's harder to find killer deals on used packs, probably because they're bulky and shipping is expensive.

There's also gear rental.

Odd Man Out
04-14-2014, 08:34
Anybody up for a Grandma Gatewood retro hike? I have an old wool blanket down in the basement! I just have to convince my wife to give up the shower curtain. :)

I'm sure you can get a cheap one at Walmart!

Odd Man Out
04-14-2014, 08:36
I'm sure you can get a cheap one at Walmart!

And this http://www.keds.com/store/SiteController/keds/menschampionoriginals/5-166830/catId/cat610201/stockNumber/MF29581/skuId/***5********MF29581*M115/subCatId/cat610229/showDefaultOption/true/productdetails

AkaMirage
04-15-2014, 15:35
If your friend doesn't want to invest a huge amount of money in the gear right off the bat, she may be able to find places to rent a lot of it. My brother works for an outdoor rec center at a local university, and they rent gear to the public and to students at really good prices.

If she has access to such a place near her she could potentially rent her big four for a weekend for much cheaper than it would be to buy even the cheap stuff. It would be around $50 at the University ORC my brother works at. It's good, fairly lightweight gear, too.

HooKooDooKu
04-15-2014, 16:16
Seems to me that you are mixing two different questions.

If the question is what is the cheapest way to try out back-packing... rental is going to be the way.

If the question is what is the cheapest way to get back-packing gear... take time, watch for sale, and especially after Christmas and end-of-season sales.

As an example, the combination of my primary tent, sleeping bag, back pack, & sleeping pad retail for a full price of about $1,150. But actual cost (because it was all purchased over time on sale) was about $650.

myakka_
04-15-2014, 16:31
I am really not a fan of renting. If she hates it, then yes, she didn't blow a lot of money. But, she has nothing to show for her money she did spend.

If she LOVES it, then she is at zero gear again and faces buying her entire rig again. But if she purchases gear, she at least has "something" whether she liked it or not. If she hates hiking, she can make a gift of the gear, resell it, or re-purpose it. And if she loves it, then she has a beginning kit from which to start watching for those sales and trading up.

Just my opinion, but I don't like to rent anything in any part of my life. All you are buying is time, and when you are done, all you have left is memories. I would much rather buy and build value in whatever it is.

Mags
04-15-2014, 17:09
Some ideas?
http://www.pmags.com/300-gear-challenge

bamboo bob
04-15-2014, 21:22
MuddyWaters. I think the point was that Gatewood and other early hikers had an easier route than todays AT. Walking country roads and sleeping in barns etc. It was a different thing entirely. If you read journals from the 60's you can see that's true. Earl Shaffer said "they ruined the trail" on his 50th anniversary hike.

MuddyWaters
04-16-2014, 05:24
How does that compare to sleeping in hostels, hotels, hitching free rides, getting free food at many road crossings, and having shelters to stay in every night?

different possibly, not easier.

leaftye
04-16-2014, 07:14
Road walking takes away a lot of risks of backpacking, although it adds the risk of getting hit by a vehicle. Fear adds weight.

Socalhiker87
04-18-2014, 00:33
Why not look at stores that sell used gear that's name brand quality gear. I run an online store called oLo Gear Exchange (http://www.ologearexchange.com) . You could have her check out our website and see if we have anything she needs. And if she doesn't enjoy backpacking she can always sell it back to us. I started this company to get people like her out enjoying outdoor activities. When I first started trying new outdoor activities and was unsure if I would like it, I would go to places like Walmart and buy cheap gear. I found when buying this type of gear I either out grew it quickly and needed to upgrade or the gear fell apart right away and I needed to buy new gear. This ended up costing me more in the long run. And it also made the activity less enjoyable. I'm thankful that when my wife and I started backpacking we bought quality gear. Happy Trails!