PDA

View Full Version : Camp/Shower Shoes

SunnyWalker
04-13-2014, 16:39
I have decided to take along some "camp shoes". I have not done that ever as I don't want the extra weight and wear trail runner type shoes anyway. However, I am preparing for a thru hike of CDT and leave this June 2014 and got to thinking about some of those showers I took while section hiking a short section of AT. I remember at the time wishing for some "shower shoes" as the shower was less then desirable if you know what I mean. Then I began to think of all the other "public" showers and all and so . . . camp shoes are going with me! I think I'll just take a pair of real lightweight thongs. Easily replaceable and very inexpensive. Anyone else on "shower shoes"? :-?

Venchka
04-13-2014, 17:23
Back in the day I worked overseas: Africa, Kazakhstan, other choice locations. I had a pair of flip flops with a thick, firm sole (3/4" maybe) and sturdy nylon straps. They kept my feet well clear of the shower floors.
Today I am leaning toward multi-purpose river crossing, alternate hiking, camp footwear. Along the lines of Keen or Teva sandals which I already own.
Good luck. I am envious.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

daddytwosticks
04-14-2014, 07:26
If you don't have water fords to deal with, just go with cheap flip flops. :)

Riocielo
04-14-2014, 11:25
I wear Croc loafers (the plastic ones, not the canvas ones, of course) when we go kayaking. They slip on easily, off easily, are comfortable, protect my feet and are cute, too.

"The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord."

Old Hiker
04-14-2014, 11:34
I used some old Crocs on my attempt. Had to get new ones for my next try, as the old ones were pretty slippery, being worn down as much as they were and the strap on one broke.

I liked them at the end of the day when I got to take my boots off and when packing up again in the morning.

slbirdnerd
04-14-2014, 13:00
+1 on flip flops if you're not wearing them for stream crossings. I found a pair of molded 1 piece foam Skechers at Meijer last year, $15. They weigh half what Crocs weigh. Hey, here they are--the men's are black:

http://www.skechers.com/style/11748/beaching-it/hpk

shakey_snake
04-14-2014, 13:22
I made sandals out of some 550 cord sheathing and a cut up old Ridgerest. I tie the laces [in the minimalist style shown here](http://xeroshoes.com/tying/).

Venchka
04-14-2014, 13:38
CROCS HAVE ONE ADVANTAGE OVER FLIP FLOPS:
You can wear them with socks. I have experienced too many nights and mornings in the Rockies when socks would have been required.
Or you can go with flip flops and some of these...

They cost more than flip flops.

These have a thick enough sole height to keep your feet out of the mud & work with socks.

http://www.footlocker.com/product/model:66936/sku:12618011/nike-benassi-swoosh-slide-mens/black/white/?cm=GLOBAL%20SEARCH%3A%20KEYWORD%20SEARCH#sku-12618619

Good luck on your CDT hike.

Wayne

4Bears
04-14-2014, 13:50
I prefer a pair of slides, as I don't like the flip flops cut between my toes, slides also allow me to wear socks if I want.

leatherwheels
04-14-2014, 16:17
I brought these an a recent trip and loved them, very lightweight but a little more protection around camp than flip flops. Found them at a local CVS last year on sale B1G1F. Put a small loop rope through some of the holes and clipped them to the outside of my pack with a cheap carabiner.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0063GZBO0%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAILZCXXIZOV3FPNCA %26tag%3D1005c-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D386 001%26creativeASIN%3DB0063GZBO0%26ascsubtag%3DDawg s%2BDoggers_xxx_CM2_pbPk4L0CFWxp7AodsT0AEA

bigcranky
04-14-2014, 17:09
I bought a pair of Waldies rubber clogs more than 10 years ago at Neels Gap. They were precursors to Crocs and the like. They are soft, comfortable rubber, and I expected to throw them away after a year or two. But they are still going strong, and every time I leave them out of my pack, I regret it.

In the summer, to save weight I sometimes bring a pair of light flip flops, but I don't like the toe thing either. I haven't found really light slides yet.