PDA

View Full Version : Discription of Standing Indian loop

Freedom Walker
04-13-2014, 16:40
I have done searches but can't seem to find a good description of the loop. What I know is to park at the campground and take the Kimsey Creek trail to the AT at Deep Gap mile 85.4. But where do you leave the trail to get back to Standing Indian campground. What would the total miles be? Thanks, James

bigcranky
04-13-2014, 20:28
There are several places to get back. I think the most common is to take the Long Branch trail from Glassmine Gap. It's maybe two miles down to your car. The total would be about 24 miles for that loop IIRC. You could also continue to Rock Gap and walk back down the road for a longer hike with a road walk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chiefiepoo
04-13-2014, 22:40
Go here for a start. Up Kimsey creek, down Lower Ridge.
http://www.sherpaguides.com/north_carolina/mountains/maps/southern_nantahala_standing_indian.html

cutter
04-14-2014, 00:50
I've done the Kimsey Creek -> AT -> Long Branch loop twice, including most recently about three weeks ago. Here is a trip report from the first time I did that hike: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=539275. Feel free to ask me questions.

daddytwosticks
04-14-2014, 07:13
What bigcranky and cutter says. Up Kimsey Creek, around on the AT, and down Long Branch to your vehicle. Great two day hike with a stop someplace around Carter Gap Shelter area. Plenty of places to camp. Good water. Views. Creeks. The climb up Albert. What's not to love? Plus no need for a shuttle. The parking at SI Kiosk is safe too. :)

bigcranky
04-14-2014, 08:41
If you're driving any distance, it makes a great 3-day, 2-night hike. Hike up the Kimsey Creek trail, camp near the Standing Indian shelter or at the top of Standing Indian (depending on the weather), then spend the second night near the old Big Spring shelter site or the new Long Branch shelter. That leave time for driving and no worries about rushing up Standing Indian the first day.