PDA

View Full Version : Indefinitely reusable water bottles? Resource conscious

Meriadoc
04-13-2014, 19:24
Something I've been thinking about lately is changing to bottles that can be reused indefinitely. I currently use gatorade, powerade, or smart water style bottles. I tend to get half a year or so out of them before they are so worn out that they develop leaks. That's still using a good number of bottles per year and all the resources that go into creating those bottles. I have had similar experiences with platypus' bladders - they break after long enough time.

What light weight bottles do you use that can be reused indefinitely? Any luck with hanging onto a single bottle for years?

sureaboutthis
04-13-2014, 19:41
I've been wondering the same thing. People like to say that heavier, longer lasting bottles are inappropriate for backpacking a significant distance, but weight is really only one consideration of many.

Waste reduction is a worthy goal, one I'd pay for if I could find a better option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

burger
04-13-2014, 19:43
I don't think that there is any lightweight bottle that can be used perpetually. Lighweight implies impermanence. If you're willing to carry a few more ounces, those stainless steel bottles should last a good long time. I have a couple of regular 1-liter nalgene bottles that are 17 years old now and still going strong.

Nick P
04-13-2014, 19:56
I'll bring a nalgene for around camp, and for these durability reasons, with a smart water bottle within reach, though this company is sending me some gear to try out: http://www.cenote.com/ but can't testify to them as yet.

kayak karl
04-13-2014, 20:05
i usually change out bottles in town. after time they get scratches in threads and caps. the inside gets scratched from sand. great places for bacteria to breed. this is the same reason i don't carry a folding knife.

kunzman
04-13-2014, 22:30
I'll bring a nalgene for around camp, and for these durability reasons, with a smart water bottle within reach, though this company is sending me some gear to try out: http://www.cenote.com/ but can't testify to them as yet.

Looks like a good idea. What's the weight of the hose and valve and bags?

Odd Man Out
04-13-2014, 23:19
I've been wondering the same thing. People like to say that heavier, longer lasting bottles are inappropriate for backpacking a significant distance, but weight is really only one consideration of many.

Waste reduction is a worthy goal, one I'd pay for if I could find a better option.

What are the three R's - Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle.

By using a Gatorade bottle I REDUCE the number of bottles being produced compared to buying one. If I paid money to buy a new bottle, even one that is durable, I am supporting an industry that is producing a product. My use of a Gatorade bottle has no impact whatsoever on the number of Gatorade bottles produced because of REUSE - I pull one out of the garbage can. When I am done with it, I RECYCLE it. Considering I pull one out of the garbage, it is one that would not have been otherwise recycled.

Franco
04-14-2014, 00:15
Hi Old Man Out,
Thanks for that, I get mine from kind people that leave them in nearby parks or roadside, often within a few yards of a rubbish bin. (Aussie term for garbage can)

sureaboutthis
04-14-2014, 01:11

By using a Gatorade bottle I REDUCE the number of bottles being produced compared to buying one. If I paid money to buy a new bottle, even one that is durable, I am supporting an industry that is producing a product. My use of a Gatorade bottle has no impact whatsoever on the number of Gatorade bottles produced because of REUSE - I pull one out of the garbage can. When I am done with it, I RECYCLE it. Considering I pull one out of the garbage, it is one that would not have been otherwise recycled.

That's a really good point. I should also mention that a bottle built to withstand the rigors of backpacking is one that likely took a lot more energy to produce than a basic PET bottle, so even if someone were producing such a product, it might come out to be a LOSS in terms of waste management.

shakey_snake
04-14-2014, 01:34
Plastic water and soda bottles are going to be made whether a couple hundred hikers go through a couple a year or not.

What you should really be looking to do is reduce the creation of niche market segments that preform more poorly than the GI, mass produced goods. :)

Coffee
04-14-2014, 07:24
I still have a Nalgene water bottle that is at least 20 years old and just about indestructible. I use Smartwater bottles and a Platypus currently. The smartwater bottles are more durable than they look and the sawyer mini threads onto the bottle perfectly. I make a point to recycle when I'm done with the bottle. As far as environmental impact, any time I'm on a trail, I'm creating way less impact than in my ordinary day to day life. I typically have a 13 gallon trash bag full of recyclables every couple of weeks at home. On the trail, the two smartwater bottles and maybe a few Gatorades are the extent of what I'm recycling.

leaftye
04-14-2014, 08:05
Even Nalgene's go bad. I've lost a couple due to the lids going bad. Even metal bottles come with plastic lids, or at least metal lids with rubber or silicone seals that aren't going to last indefinitely either.

Anything with a small mouth would get nasty inside and thrown away rather quickly, so longevity isn't a big deal.

I'm satisfied with reusing for a while, and then recycling. It's even better if you reuse and recycle a bottle that someone else used once and threw away.

You could also filter or treat into your pot and then camel up at water sources.

Pedaling Fool
04-14-2014, 08:26

That's my basic approach.

Odd Man Out
04-14-2014, 08:32
I was reflecting on the other thread going on now about the cheapest possible gear list. It's nice when one of the best options in your gear list is also the cheapest (i.e. FREE).

Old Hiker
04-14-2014, 11:21
32 ounce rectangular juice bottles. I've used some for over 8 years with no problems. I have a laundry hamper full in my garage, along with extra lids, in case a lid breaks or leaks. The only thing I've had broken is a lid while demonstrating to my class how sturdy the bottles were by throwing it up into the air.

I take an extra lid whenever camping, as I'm going to LOSE the lid instead of BREAK it.

The mouths are not exactly wide, but not soda bottle small.

Not necessarily this brand, but the same concept: http://www.publix.com/wellness/greenwise/products/ProductDetail.do?id=451

Rain Man
04-14-2014, 16:58
... this company is sending me some gear to try out: http://www.cenote.com/ but can't testify to them as yet.

Looks great. I think I'll order a set and see how they work for me on the AT as a section-hiker.

Rain:sunMan

Nick P
04-14-2014, 18:25
What's the weight of the hose and valve and bags?

Their website doesn't list such specs, and I awaiting my set. Will post here when they arrive.
n