PDA

View Full Version : Work in DC, hoping to find ride to Front Royal on 5/8 or 5/9 to start a short section

maddi
04-14-2014, 12:49
I am hoping to find a ride from DC/metro area out to Front Royal on either 5/8 or 5/9. My wife and kids are going to be on a long road trip that week, down to NC/TN, and my thought is that if I get out to start a hike on Thursday or Friday, they can pick me up when they are passing through on their way back to Baltimore on Sunday evening. The problem is a lack of public transportation to FR. And we share a car, so my options to get out there are limited. I have researched public transportation options, and haven't found anything workable. (if I missed something obvious, I'd welcome the correction).

I work in DC, and was thinking that if anyone on here commutes to DC from the Front Royal area/beyond, I could pay gas/reasonable fee to drop me off around FR on the 8th or 9th. I have a flexible work schedule, so could be ready to leave DC at any time it was most convenient, and of course can meet anywhere METRO can take me.

If nothing along these lines can work out, I do have backup options - such as the MARC train out to Harpers Ferry, or Amtrak to Staunton, VA and a shuttle in that area back to Rockfish Gap - but my preference is starting in Front Royal.

Thanks for reading. (and I haven't been on here in quite a while - I looked around and tried my best to post this in the best spot, I apologize if I screwed that up).

Coffee
04-14-2014, 13:36
Another fallback option might be a rental car from Enterprise picked up at DCA or a number of local spots in the DC area and dropped off at Front Royal. The last time I looked at this option, however, there was a drop fee involved.

maddi
04-14-2014, 13:48
Thanks, I'll look into it and keep that in mind.

Studlintsean
04-14-2014, 14:20
I will be out backpacking in the Roan Highland area that time otherwise I might be able to help out (I travel from DC to Bristow). If you do have to resort to a shuttle, consider taking the VRE (Manassas Line) from L'Enfant or Union Station to Broad Run and then getting picked up from the train station there. It is still about an hour ride out to Front Royal or Thornton Gap but it's certainly closer than Vienna Metro.

maddi
04-15-2014, 08:41
I will be out backpacking in the Roan Highland area that time otherwise I might be able to help out (I travel from DC to Bristow). If you do have to resort to a shuttle, consider taking the VRE (Manassas Line) from L'Enfant or Union Station to Broad Run and then getting picked up from the train station there. It is still about an hour ride out to Front Royal or Thornton Gap but it's certainly closer than Vienna Metro.

Thanks. I think if I still had to find a shuttle of some kind for that sort of distance, I would rather go with one of my backup plans, most likely down to Rockfish Gap. Enjoy Roan - should be a blast.

maddi
04-15-2014, 11:57
Ha, uh...just realized I completely got those dates wrong. It is actually May 15th or 16th...not sure how I messed that one up! So, to clarify, I am hoping to catch a ride out to FR on either Thursday 5/15 or Friday 5/16. The wife and boys leave on the 9th, which must have stuck in my head as the weekend she was coming back! Thanks to all for reading and considering.

Studlintsean
04-15-2014, 12:13
Ha, uh...just realized I completely got those dates wrong. It is actually May 15th or 16th...not sure how I messed that one up! So, to clarify, I am hoping to catch a ride out to FR on either Thursday 5/15 or Friday 5/16. The wife and boys leave on the 9th, which must have stuck in my head as the weekend she was coming back! Thanks to all for reading and considering.

You might have lucked out. Keep in touch over the next few weeks as I wont be able to lock it in until a week or so in advance but im scheduled to go from DC to Front Royal after work on 5/16 and if so I don't mind giving you a scoop.

joshuasdad
04-15-2014, 14:49
Should be able to get a ride then, since a lot of people will be heading to trail days for that weekend. Feel free to PM me later if no one else offers, I might be heading through there on one of those days.

maddi
04-15-2014, 15:38
Studlintsean, joshuasdad, thanks to both of you. I'll be in touch when the time gets closer. The offers/potential offers are very much appreciated.