PDA

View Full Version : Erwin, TN parking

2NewKnees
04-15-2014, 09:13
Is there a good place to park for a section hike beginning in Erwin, TN? I'm looking at a section for next week. Is the Nolichucky Hostel a good spot? Thanks

flemdawg1
04-15-2014, 11:03
Yes, Nolichucky is a good place to park, but talk to them. I parked there twice but used their shuttle services.

2NewKnees
04-15-2014, 12:03
Yes, Nolichucky is a good place to park, but talk to them. I parked there twice but used their shuttle services.
Cool, thanks. I'll call them.

10-K
04-15-2014, 12:27
If the hostel lot is full (it'll only hold 7-8 cars) you can park over the bridge in the big parking lot at Chestoa for free -- very safe.

You can also park at the Mountain Inn & Suites at no charge - their lot is lit during the night.

Tennessee Viking
04-15-2014, 12:42
You may also want to contact the rafting companies up the road from Johnny's.

Chestoa is ok. But I wouldn't park anywhere else overnight especially Indian Grave to Beauty Spot.

Greasy Creek Friendly.

10-K
04-15-2014, 12:48
In the time (4 years) that I've lived here I can't recall any vandalism at Indian Grave Gap - maybe there has been some I'm not aware of but loads of people park there overnight and for weeklong trips.

I wouldn't leave my car at Beauty Spot.

I'd park at Chestoa - it's a big lot and free.

Tennessee Viking
04-15-2014, 16:03
10-K, I believe there was 1 or 2 minor vandalism incident(s) a couple years ago. But definitely a while back, IGG was as notorious as 19E/Buck Mtn.

But definitely Beauty Spot is getting bad again with partyers and illegal ATV traffic.

cowpoke
04-15-2014, 21:04
Is Chestoa across the bridge from Johnny's? I'm heading up next week to section north from Erwin to 19E..thanks and cheers!

10-K
04-15-2014, 22:27
Yes, drive over the bridge away from Johnny's, make a right and drive down a few hundred yards and you'll see a big open lot on your left and another lot on the right next to the river with a big M/F privy and a few picnic tables.

I'd park in the big lot on the left.

illabelle
04-16-2014, 05:38
Yes, drive over the bridge away from Johnny's, make a right and drive down a few hundred yards and you'll see a big open lot on your left and another lot on the right next to the river with a big M/F privy and a few picnic tables.

I'd park in the big lot on the left.

If you use AT&T, be aware you might not have service in the Johnny's/Chestoa area. We didn't. Suggest make any needed calls before you leave areas near the highway.

cowpoke
04-16-2014, 13:37
Thanks for the info 10-K...cheers!

jj2044
04-16-2014, 13:55
If you use AT&T, be aware you might not have service in the Johnny's/Chestoa area. We didn't. Suggest make any needed calls before you leave areas near the highway.

The people at Uncle Johnny's dint tell you about the AT&T chair ?? lol it about 100-150 yards down from the hostel , white bench chair, setting on the bank of the river, I had to use it. if you moved more then like 50 meters in any direction you would drop your call, It was kind of funny.

illabelle
04-16-2014, 14:04
The people at Uncle Johnny's dint tell you about the AT&T chair ?? lol it about 100-150 yards down from the hostel , white bench chair, setting on the bank of the river, I had to use it. if you moved more then like 50 meters in any direction you would drop your call, It was kind of funny.

Haha! No, I didn't know about the chair. We missed our shuttle (10K) because he couldn't reach us and didn't know we were on the other side of the bridge. Learned my lesson, though!