PDA

View Full Version : What's your perfect trail meal???

jimmyjob
09-20-2005, 19:13
Someone asked me today, what I eat when I am hiking and I told them about oatmeal, rice, lypton meals, ramon, etc and ofcourse what you can pack out and eat quick.

but it brought me to question....

WHAT WOULD BE YOUR PERFECT MEAL ON THE TRAIL???????

stupe
09-20-2005, 21:44
Big pot of hot Lipton (Cajun Beans and Rice) with some olive oil, some Spam or choriza or soppresatta, , and some dehydrated zuccini thrown in. A recent newspaper to help the digestion. It would be nice to have wine.

TDale
09-20-2005, 22:54
Fresh trout and grits.

Big Dawg
09-20-2005, 23:39
Well, mine happens to be my "1st night out" meal. I buy a Steakhouse Beef Dip sub. I have Quiznos package all ingredients separately (roast beef , swiss, french onion sauce, hoagie roll, au jus). Then at camp, I heat up roast beef & au jus, & if I'm lucky enough to have a campfire, I'll toast the sub,,,, then put it all together. Holy cow :banana Quick & easy!! & Awesome!!! :clap

Other than that, Lipton red beans & rice w/ slices of smoked sausage,, Yummmmmm.

Big Dawg
09-20-2005, 23:42
Hey, why is my banana not dancing?? definately deserves the "dancing" banana.

neo
09-20-2005, 23:50
roasting polish sausge over the campfire,then wrapping it in a flour tortilla
with monteray jack cheese and hot mustard,and some'mores for dessert
washed down with cold gatorade:cool: neo

stupe
09-21-2005, 00:01
roasting polish sausge over the campfire,then wrapping it in a flour tortilla
with monteray jack cheese and hot mustard,and some'mores for dessert
washed down with cold gatorade:cool: neoI salute your mentioning Polish sausage. Occasionally, we get home made keilbas from a local grandmother. She makes it in her basement for family and a select few friends. Makes you wonder why people spend all that money on caviar.

Seeker
09-21-2005, 00:11
dinner would be lipton noodles (stroganoff) with diced chicken, a cup of hot cocoa or chicken soup, and s'mores for dessert.

lunch would be club crackers, some chedder or monteray jack cheese hunks, a can of smoked oysters or vienna sausages, cup a soup, summer sausage or landjaeger, 2 chips ahoy cookies, and a view...

papa john
09-21-2005, 07:19
Stove top stuffing with foil packed chicken and turkey gravy. Can't be beat.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-21-2005, 08:00
Pizza ramen for two - cook two packs ramen just soft. Add a packet of spaghetti sauce mix, enough dried tomato soup mix to make 2 cups, a 6 oz pepperoni stick (diced works best), about 3 -4 ozs dried / grated parmesan cheese, and olive oil to taste. Add enough water to get the consistency you want.

dje97001
09-21-2005, 08:07
Posted it on another thread but it is worth it. So far my favorite:
Idahoan Instant Mashed Potato pouch, small block of jack cheese, can (or pouch) of chicken. Boil water, remove heat and place it in the cozy, add cheese and chicken (to melt the cheese and heat the chicken), then add the "flakes." Cover and let sit. Then serve with garlic. Very very tasty and easy.

RedneckRye
09-21-2005, 09:14
Get to a road crossing at 11:30am, catch an easy hitch into town. Bacon cheese burger, onion rings, and a chocolate milkshake. Catch another easy hitch back up to the trail. Hiking again by 1:00pm. Did this in 2000 on my Long Trail end-to-end. Much better than any Lipton, no matter what you add into it!!

waskelton4
09-21-2005, 14:15
any one used any of these on the trail??

http://p2.hostingprod.com/@thaikitchen.com/productsstore.html

Just Jeff
09-21-2005, 15:29
The perfect trail meal? Anything I don't have to carry... :p

To me, perfect means simple and tasty rather than delicious but involved.

I like tortillas with cheese and smoked sausage for lunch. Sometimes a peanut butter and jelly tortilla roll.

Dinner would be harder...hrm... Mac and cheese with a tuna packet is really good and simple. Adding sun-dried tomatoes to Lipton Tomato Basil noodles is a pretty good combo, too.

V8
09-21-2005, 15:29
Two meals top my list:
1) Instant mashed potato, with dehydrated split pea soup mix (rehydrated and poured on) with a string cheese shredded into it.

2) Tortellini, with tomato cup-a-soup for sauce and cheddar cheese on top.

Yum.
V8

Lanthar Mandragoran
09-21-2005, 17:01
any one used any of these on the trail??

http://p2.hostingprod.com/@thaikitchen.com/productsstore.html
Thai Kitchen tastes AWESOME! And hella easy to cook too...

Cedar Tree
09-21-2005, 17:17
I still can't eat any Liptons, and its been 5 years. I ate my last one pretty early in my hike, probably Virginia somewhere. Luckily, I LOVE ramen. I still eat ramen alot, at least a couple times a month. On the trail, my favorite meal is ramen with a pouch of meat mixed in, chicken or tuna.
CT

Bassline
09-21-2005, 21:22
When I think of trail food, there are three words that come to mind, Location, Location, Location. There is nothing better than a warm meal on top of a big mountain, around a hot fire, with a bunch of close friends and hiking buddies. I would take a cup of Ramon on McCaffee's knob with GLGE over being stuck at The Homeplace by myself anyday. Now, if you could only get The Homeplace to bring you your food to the Knob...

Doctari
09-21-2005, 22:25
Dinner: Lipton 3 cheese rotini with hickory smoked tuna (foil pack from starkist) & Tbs extra virgin olive oil. OH YES!!!!!

Lunch: Salmon jerky & my GORP (1 part each; planters hot peanuts, sunflower seeds, smoked almonds,Pepitas, Crasins, & 1 Tbs cayenne pepper)

Breakfast: Instant grits, any flavor but I prefer the cheddar cheese ones.

Doctari.

Teatime
09-22-2005, 01:26
Believe it or not, my 6-year old son thinks Moutain House Spaghetti is the best food in the world! On our last camping trip, he wanted it 2 nights in a row, although I had brought other non-backpacking food.

Have any of you ever tried Korean Ramen? It is far better than the stuff in most grocery stores, especially if you like it spicey! You also get a larger portion. While in the USAF stationed in Korea, where I met my wife, I sampled a lot of Korean food and Ramen is really a staple over there. Sometimes they put cheese or an egg in it. You should be able to find the Korean Ramen in any Asian market. "Shin" is one of the popular brands but my wife has been buying another kind lately that I can't remember the name of.

Seeker
09-22-2005, 10:38
yeah, i've had it... used to hunt with one of my sergeants, who was married to a korean lady. he used to bring the ramen you're talking about, and always dropped an egg into it... i normally hate anything spicy, but this stuff was actually good...

thanks for bringing it up.

Peaks
09-22-2005, 10:53
I think that my best trail meal was steak that a Boy Scout troop packed in, and then shared with the thru-hikes there.

Cookerhiker
09-22-2005, 12:03
Bulgar wheat flavored by my homemade peanut sauce (dry-roated peanuts which I've ground at home and packaged for the Trail) with a fresh minced garlic clove and dried vegetables thrown in.

Newb
09-22-2005, 16:05
Spit-roasted fellow hiker.

bridetobe
09-29-2005, 07:22
SHIN RAMEN

I love ramen but Shin Ramen is sooo yummy. And very spicy! images/smilies/eek.gif

Teatime
09-29-2005, 08:15
If you like Shin Ramen, you will LOVE Sutah Ramen! The noodles are higher quality and it tastes even better. My wife now buys this stuff exclussively. Check it out:

http://www.koamart.com/shop/1-1092-ramen_bags-_sutah__ramen_spicy_flavor.asp

SHIN RAMEN

I love ramen but Shin Ramen is sooo yummy. And very spicy! images/smilies/eek.gif

Two Speed
09-29-2005, 08:36
The local organic grocery carries a dehydrated refried bean mix. Yeah, I know, first they refry the beans, then dehydrate? :-?

Heck, I've never fried beans, much less refry and then dehydrate 'em, but it's good stuff!

I'll stash a small onion, a Vidalia if I can get one, a couple of cherry tomatoes and some cheese in my food bag along with some tortillas and the refried bean flakes. Pull into camp, boil enough water to rehydrate the beans, chop the onions, tomatoes & cheese while the beans do their thing, roll it all up with a dab of Tabasco or hot sauce, then it's chow down! Talk about good on a cold rainy night!

Nightwalker
09-29-2005, 13:57
WHAT WOULD BE YOUR PERFECT MEAL ON THE TRAIL???????
Kraft Deluxe Shells and Cheese, with a large envelope of tuna. It's heavy, though, so it's a first-night-out meal.

the goat
09-29-2005, 15:18
ribeye, w/ potato & vegetables in foil, on hot campfire coals....and a 6-pack of pbr.....definitely a first nighter. :jump

LIhikers
09-29-2005, 17:17
Darn, I'm gettin hungry reading this thread! To date my favorite meal on the trail was the burger, cheese fries and beer I had at the Doyle hotel in Duncannon. Oh wait, the pizza in Boiling Springs was pretty good too. Gee, and that turkey wrap with the dried, sun roated peppers I had in Kent, and......:banana

Clark Fork
09-29-2005, 19:02
I found squeeze tubes of PB. Peanut butter just has to be the most perfect trail food. It is good any time of day and is readily available..These toothpaste type squeeze tubes are just the way to pack for the trail. Two table spoons is 190 calories. Now if I could find Jelly in tubes....:banana

http://www.peanutbutter.com/squeezeProducts.asp

Clark Fork in Western Montana, "Where seldom is heard a discouraging word."

Alligator
09-29-2005, 19:21
I found squeeze tubes of PB. Peanut butter just has to be the most perfect trail food. It is good any time of day and is readily available..These toothpaste type squeeze tubes are just the way to pack for the trail. Two table spoons is 190 calories. Now if I could find Jelly in tubes....:banana

http://www.peanutbutter.com/squeezeProducts.asp

Clark Fork in Western Montana, "Where seldom is heard a discouraging word."I own two reloadable toothpaste type tubes. Here's a similar product.
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47591411&parent_category_rn=5760752

Seeker
09-30-2005, 01:24
hey alligator... you beat me to it... i was going to mention that campmor carries a reloadable squeeze tube... i've seem them in stores too, like Blue Ridge Mtn Sports, Gandor Mtn, and Eastern Mtn Sports... might find them at some walmarts too.

MRE jelly comes in a squeeze package (not reuseable thought), and the T-rations used to come with a whole box of PB and jelly packets.

this would take a bit of work, but you could wash out a PB tube and refill it with jelly... i do it with my 1oz travel toothpaste tube all the time... (i refill it with toothpaste, not jelly!)

bridetobe
09-30-2005, 01:48
If you like Shin Ramen, you will LOVE Sutah Ramen! The noodles are higher quality and it tastes even better. My wife now buys this stuff exclussively. Check it out:

http://www.koamart.com/shop/1-1092-ramen_bags-_sutah__ramen_spicy_flavor.asp
Thanks teatime! can't wait to try it out.

Teatime
09-30-2005, 02:04
Your welcome, but it seems I was mistaken. I looked in the cupboard and there was an imposter! Apparently Sutah is so good, they were sold out of it and my wife bought another brand. Enjoy your Sutah Ramen if you can find it.
Thanks teatime! can't wait to try it out.