PDA

View Full Version : Hiking from Route 30 to Route 103 in Vermont.

Dahoyt
04-16-2014, 14:25
I am going out for a three day hike, started at Route 30 in Manchester, and ending at the swinging bridge at Route 103. I'm def prepared for the snow. Yet part of me foolishly thinks the snow will be gone for the most part. I assume over Bromley it will be deep snow, as the trail goes up the ski trail. Just wondering if anyone has been on this stretch at all lately, and or, has any advice... (I have all the right gear, and am prepared for the cold, so please refrain from assuming I lack experience)...

Jeff
04-16-2014, 16:00
Be sure and post a trip report...very interested in what you find up there.

mirabela
04-16-2014, 17:10
The trail maintainers strenuously urge us all to stay off these trails until they dry out. Where there is no snow -- which will mostly be southern exposures in the hardwoods -- you are likely to run into wet treadway and lots of mud. That may be OK with you, but travelling on that does a lot more damage than you'd do if you waited until after Memorial Day.

Slo-go'en
04-16-2014, 17:36
I know the weather is getting nice and people are wanting to get outside, but why you want to go muck up the trails this time of year is beyond me.

If you do insist on going out there, do not try to walk around the muck and don't be suprised when you sink down to your ankles or worse. Any melting snow will be a stream going down the middle of the trail. Again, stay on the trail and in the water. Be careful, as your going to fall down a lot.

rafe
04-16-2014, 18:42
From the GMC's website:
http://www.greenmountainclub.org/news.php?id=316

Trails Are Closed During Mud Season, from April to Memorial Day

General Contact: Visitor Center
Media Contact: Dave Hardy
Phone: 802.241.8320
Posted: 04/07/2014

THE STATE OF VERMONT CLOSES ALL HIGH ELEVATION TRAILS from snowmelt in MID-APRIL until MEMORIAL DAY SATURDAY, MAY 24, 2014.

This closure basically covers the Long Trail and its side trails from Mount Ellen in Waitsfield to the Northern Terminus.

South of Mount Ellen, the Long Trail and Appalachian Trail crosses predominately federal land in the Green Mountain National Forest. Although this section of trail is not technically closed, the US Forest Service issues the following guidelines:

Date Areas usually suitable for hiking:

April 15 Trails below 1000 feet in elevation
May 1 Trails below 2000 feet in elevation
May 15 Trails below 3000 feet in elevation
Memorial Day ALL TRAILS

Dahoyt
04-17-2014, 13:17
I forgot it was already the time of year they suggest the trails not be used...

Dahoyt
04-17-2014, 13:20
One reason I can't stand this website some days, get all these critical people overbearing opinions and telling me what I have to do and not do. While it's up to me if I go, postponing until trail conditions improve on Memorial Day is gonna be my choice. No thanks to you overbearing WhiteBlaze snobs... I do thank Rafe for not interjecting a harsh opinion and just posting the snippet from the GMC site, very useful but of info. Thanks for that.

Deacon
04-17-2014, 13:27
One reason I can't stand this website some days, get all these critical people overbearing opinions and telling me what I have to do and not do. While it's up to me if I go, postponing until trail conditions improve on Memorial Day is gonna be my choice. No thanks to you overbearing WhiteBlaze snobs... I do thank Rafe for not interjecting a harsh opinion and just posting the snippet from the GMC site, very useful but of info. Thanks for that.

I rely don't think folks here are trying to be snobs, they're just interested in protecting the trail. All they are doing is relaying what the GMC is requesting so that when we do go out and hike, it will be a better trail for all to enjoy.

Cosmo
04-17-2014, 19:48
Come on down to Mass. Still some snow up top, but generally you should be fine in most places. A little mucky, but we tend to thaw out quicker than VT. Plus they did get a big dump of snow about 10 days ago. We got mostly rain.

Cosmo

rdljr
04-17-2014, 20:23
Got a nice lump of snow yesterday, over large parts of VT.

Dahoyt
04-19-2014, 16:40
I went, mostly snow. I'd say 90 percent of the way.

Dahoyt
04-20-2014, 15:43
Sorry to anyone I offended. Just feel a lot of people on this site come across the wrong way...

rafe
04-20-2014, 19:59
Spent the weekend in the Berkshires but not on the trail... though I did spend a few minutes on the trail in North Adams, and drove past a couple of AT trailheads near Great Barrington. Snow in the lowlands is gone, but persists above 2000 feet or so. The auto road up to Greylock summit is still closed. Met Cosmo briefly and chowed on Chinese food in Williamstown. It was a gorgeous weekend to be out, bright blue sky and daytime temps around sixty.

We drove across the southwestern part of MA on 57 and 183 towards Great Barrington, and would occasionally see patches of snow along the shady (southern) side of the road at the higher elevations.