PDA

View Full Version : Hammock Help!

ctebeau
04-16-2014, 15:31
Hey all. So I'm planning a 2015 thru hike on the AT and have decided i want to hammock (being that i just got my first one last november and am in love). However, i am a novice and am struggling on picking out which gear to get. I currently have an ENO double nest but will most likely be getting a smaller, lighter one for the trail (If necessary... not totally sure yet). If any of you hammock thru hikers could give me some advice on what gear to bring it would be much appreciated (Especially UQ's and TQ's). However, being that i am a college student, I am on a slight budget. Honestly I'm pretty new to all of this planning and am a bit overwhelmed, so any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hoop
04-16-2014, 20:11
If you haven't already, check out hammockforums.net for friendly informative suggestions.

kayak karl
04-16-2014, 20:22
yep, hammock forum. start HERE (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?33-Long-distance-travel-with-a-hammock)

winger
04-16-2014, 20:24
If you haven't already, check out hammockforums.net for friendly informative suggestions.

+1 on hammock forums.net. I researched extensively there when I started hanging about 7 years ago. Also check out shugemerys site on YouTube.

1azarus
04-16-2014, 21:20
I suggest that the best place to start is to figure out what your own approach to pack weight will be. There are wonderful setups at gram weenie, mid weight and heavy weight points -- and lots of hammockers to swear that their system is the best. I think the best filter of all that advice is to see which of it is consistent with the other big decisions you are making.

swonut
04-16-2014, 22:10
Figure out your plan to stay warm. There have been a lot of cold hammock hikers that have gone to ground his year with the cold, wet mist and rain. It can be done, but it is often not as easy as simply adding a pad or getting a warmer sleeping bag.

Demeter
04-17-2014, 05:47
+3 on Hammock Forums. Better yet, check out the "Trip Planning" section for a Hammock Hang. The Mid-Atlantic hang is next weekend. A lot of the vendors will be there, so you can "kick the tires" on a lot of different rigs before you buy. Also, everyone loves to talk about their personal set-up, and there are as many different kits as there are hangers (about 130 last year!).

ctebeau
04-17-2014, 13:44
Thanks for all of the help! definitely gonna be spending some hours on hammock forums. lots of new research material! (sounds kinda dorky when you get excited about that...)

Disco
04-17-2014, 14:16
+3 on Hammock Forums. Better yet, check out the "Trip Planning" section for a Hammock Hang. The Mid-Atlantic hang is next weekend. A lot of the vendors will be there, so you can "kick the tires" on a lot of different rigs before you buy. Also, everyone loves to talk about their personal set-up, and there are as many different kits as there are hangers (about 130 last year!).

Can you provide more info on the upcoming Hammock hang? Thanks much! - Disco

SouthMark
04-17-2014, 20:49
For sure visit hammock forums. You will find that staying warm in cold weather is not difficult at all. Watch Shug's winter hammocking videos (-27 degrees I think). The first hammock forums Roan High Knob Higher and Colder Hang was 1.9 degree with snow and high winds. I slept warm and cozy like a baby.

winger
04-17-2014, 21:14
https://m.youtube.com/user/shugemery

Grampie
04-21-2014, 16:10
During my 01 thru I was thinking about switching from my tent to a hammock. when I was at Trail Days I stopped at the Hennessy hammock display and spoke to Tom Hennessy. He asked me if I would like to try one of his hammocks and handed me a brand new one. He said, " take it and try it for as long as you want. If you decide to keep it, send me a check and if you don't want to keep it, send it back". He did this without knowing me or even asking me my real name. I took the hammock. Used it for four nights and decided to send it back. Now that's customer service.