PDA

View Full Version : Two people and a dog - light tent suggestions?

Spirit Walker
04-16-2014, 21:16
We want to start doing some backpacking with our large GR, but a) don't want to add a lot of weight, and b) don't want to spend a lot of money. Any suggestions for a good 3 person tent or roomy 2+?

Studlintsean
04-16-2014, 22:27
Subscribing to thread as I might also be in the market shortly.

HooKooDooKu
04-16-2014, 23:40
The thing I see with a light-weight tent is that it will be made with very thin material and therefore more prone to damage by the dog's claws. Plus, the lighter the tent, usually the more expensive it is.

So my thought would be a slightly heavier tent that would be a bit more rugged than the typical ultra-light tent, and the price will be cheaper.

The first tent that comes to mind is the Kelty Trail Ridge. I've owned other Kelty tents, and I've liked them for their durability (simply because of heavier weight fabrics). The Trail Ridge 3 is 88"x72"... which might be a little small if you are tall. The price is only about $220, and the weight is only 6lbs.

Otherwise, I don't know the details of the Trail Ridge. My personal 3-person tent is the Gunnison 3.1. It's about a pound heavier but also has lots more room (93" x 97"). The current Gunnison is also a little bit more expensive (about $260). But OMG the amount of room it has.

Slo-go'en
04-17-2014, 00:24
Light and cheap are mutually exclusive when it comes to gear and tents in perticular. If you want cheap, get a colleman tent from a big box store. Split between two people it won't be too bad. If your just doing weekend hikes weight isn't nearly as big a factor as it is when going long distances. Plus as noted by HooKooDooKu, a cheap tent will be more durable in the long run and if it does get trashed, your not out much money.

Spirit Walker
04-17-2014, 11:51
We're looking at longer treks, so a 6 pound tent won't cut it. It's okay for a weekend, but not for a week or more when we're carrying food for us plus a hungry dog.

Almost There
04-17-2014, 12:05
Well you have a problem if you want cheap and light...which don't exist, unless you find used gear. My recommendation would be the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL3...under 4lbs, but will run you between $350 and $400. This is about as light as you're going to get unless you go Cuben Fiber, which will also increase your cost. I use it to hike with my dog and another person. I also hike with the MSR Mutha Hubba as it's floor is sturdier (but it's around 6lbs), but I've used both with the dog. I've also used the Seedhouse to hike solo with just the dog, and had no issues carrying it in my Exos 58. Good luck with it all.

Mobius
04-17-2014, 12:12
You might check out the Tarptent Stratospire 2. You'll find a few reviews online from folks using it with 2 people and dog(s). It's under 3 pounds. I think it's weight/price ratio is pretty good. It does require two trekking pole (or separately purchased poles) to set up. I've used it in continuous rain (setup, sleep, take down) and was quite impressed. The interior never got wet.

nastynate
04-17-2014, 12:22
Maybe the SMD Lunar Duo Outfitter? Tougher polyester material, 3.5 lbs, and $160.

OCDave
04-17-2014, 13:06
Spirit Walker,

It seems someone nearing 2000 posts would have a better idea of what they needed in equipment. For example: I have been using X and I like 1,2 and 3 features. I am interested in other's experience with A, B and C.

What have you tried? What have you ruled out?

OCDave

MTn music
04-17-2014, 13:11
You might check out the Tarptent Stratospire 2. You'll find a few reviews online from folks using it with 2 people and dog(s). It's under 3 pounds. I think it's weight/price ratio is pretty good. It does require two trekking pole (or separately purchased poles) to set up. I've used it in continuous rain (setup, sleep, take down) and was quite impressed. The interior never got wet.

I've used the Tarptent Stratospire 2 with 2 people and a dog and it was great! The weight is about 2 lbs 8 ounces (I used my trekking poles instead of regular poles) so it's not bad at all. I'd highly recommend it.

HooKooDooKu
04-17-2014, 13:17
We're looking at longer treks, so a 6 pound tent won't cut it. It's okay for a weekend, but not for a week or more when we're carrying food for us plus a hungry dog.
There's plenty of people who go on "longer treks" taking 3 pound tents with them. So when you divide the weight between two people, 3 pounds/person is NOT very heavy.

As for the hungry dog, I would assume that he could at least carry his own food... perhaps even some of the communal gear to make carrying a heavier tent more palatable.

Almost There
04-17-2014, 14:33
There's plenty of people who go on "longer treks" taking 3 pound tents with them. So when you divide the weight between two people, 3 pounds/person is NOT very heavy.

As for the hungry dog, I would assume that he could at least carry his own food... perhaps even some of the communal gear to make carrying a heavier tent more palatable.

Great point, as I never take my giant Aussie (72lbs) out for more than a week he always carries his food, treats, bowls, and water. The beauty of a dog is they'll drink from any water source and it is easy to vaccinate them from Giardia and Chrypto. Whenever we hit a creak or stream Sam goes swimming and drinking. When we did Grayson Highlands my wife and I carried our Mutha Hubba. She's only 5ft2, and she carried the rainfly and one section of poles, while I carried the rest of the tent. It really wasn't a big deal at all...just saying.

SawnieRobertson
04-17-2014, 20:44
Have a footprint to lay inside the tent. That will protect the floor, which can actually be made of a more durable fabric than the sides. My dog would unintentionally knock the Lekis down, which would make my tent collapse, so I plan to buy one of Heartfire's spider looking thingies. And I suspect that her silnylon creation would be lighter than most others. What price comfort? Have fun, you two.

Spirit Walker
04-17-2014, 21:02
Thank you for the suggestions. I have been backpacking for 28 years, including several thruhikes, but have only done one trip with our dog. It's a different world. I was hoping to hear from people who actually backpack with dogs, because we have a lot to learn.

Our last tent was a Henry Shires, and I know he makes a light-weight 3 person tent that is under $200. Lightheart doesn't seem to have a 3 person tent. Nor does Six Moon Designs. I had seen a previous recommendation for Big Agnes. We'll have to check it out. Anybody else?

MDSection12
04-17-2014, 21:13
The thing I see with a light-weight tent is that it will be made with very thin material and therefore more prone to damage by the dog's claws.
Someone on this site recommended 'DogBooties.Com' booties for my dog's sensitive pads, and I've found them equally valuable as a way to protect my tent or hammock when I take him along. :)

MDSection12
04-17-2014, 21:16
Forgot to mention they work fabulously for protecting his pads and are dirt cheap. Buy a couple sets since shipping is cheap regardless of quantity and they will wear out eventually... And get bright colors; they will occasionally fall off, and this makes it easier to both check if they're on and find them when they're not. Highly recommended. :)

Venchka
04-17-2014, 21:29
Tyvek floor liner inside the tent. Henry has a newish 3 person tunnel tent with doors at both ends. Over $300.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

10-K
04-17-2014, 21:50
Lunar Duo. Room to spare for 2 and a dog.

Sarcasm the elf
04-17-2014, 22:04
The thing I see with a light-weight tent is that it will be made with very thin material and therefore more prone to damage by the dog's claws.

It's interesting that I see this warning posted a lot on site, but I can't recall seeing a single post from someone who's actually had their tent floor damaged by their dog's claws. I'd be interested to know if anyone here has ever personally experienced a problem.

We have put about 40 nights on my tents while hiking with dogs and have never had a problem with them wearing out the tent floor (just never leave them alone inside with the doors or bug netting zipped up as they're likely to paw at it when they want to get out of the tent) YMMV

HooKooDooKu
04-18-2014, 01:27
It's interesting that I see this warning posted a lot on site, but I can't recall seeing a single post from someone who's actually had their tent floor damaged by their dog's claws. I'd be interested to know if anyone here has ever personally experienced a problem.

We have put about 40 nights on my tents while hiking with dogs and have never had a problem with them wearing out the tent floor (just never leave them alone inside with the doors or bug netting zipped up as they're likely to paw at it when they want to get out of the tent) YMMV

What kind of tent (and foot print if applicable) are you using?

While not having to deal with a dog, I recently had to setup my Kelty tent on gravel with two young boys inside... but because of the toughness of the tent and foot print, I didn't worry much about it.

By contrast, I recently purchased a Big Agnes Copper Spur for solo use... and I find that I'm spending more time setting this tent up because I feel like I've got to make sure I'm getting all the things out from under the footprint that might puncture the material... and in some cases, I've had seed pods (with some sharp edges) that have left an indentation in my footprint. So I can't imagine what things would be like if I had a large dog (Lab or German Shepard) on top of that material.

LIhikers
04-24-2014, 02:31
......... I was hoping to hear from people who actually backpack with dogs, because we have a lot to learn.....

My wife and I hike with our 90 pound Shepherd. We use a Tarptent Rainshadow II and it works great for 2 people and a large dog. The foot end of the tent is mostly screen and our dog loves to lay side to side there to look out and get fresh air. Even with her sprawled across the foot end of the tent there's plenty of room for us and a lot of our gear. We've been using it for years, our dog's nails have never cut the floor.
Only you can decide if it's light enough or cheap enough for your needs.

Damn Yankee
04-24-2014, 06:07
I have a Nemo Meta 2P which I use when hiking with my dog. It would easily fit 2 people and a dog and it has good head room. Normally when it is just my dog and I, I will put my Z pack down which helps protect the floor some and also use a footprint. You use too trekking poles which are outside the tent so you don't have to worry about poles being knocked down also has very large vestibules on either side with two doors. It is only a single wall tent so need to worry about inside condensation in cooler weather. Total pack weight with stakes and footprint is 3 lbs. 9oz.

Dacian
12-10-2014, 21:48
So, Spirit Walker, I'm interested in what you determined. Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo Explorer at 41 oz? Tarptent Double Rainbow at 41 ounces? Tarptent Strato Spire 2 at 46 oz? Big Agnes Seedhouse SL? Or did you throw caution to the wind (literally) and come up with something wild and crazy, such as a solution involving a Sea to Summit Escapist Inner 2P Bug Tent and some dual purpose poncho tarps for a roof? I'm thinking that you went with the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL because you were worried about fido's claws, and the little bit of extra weight didn't bother you. Oh, but which Seedhouse: SL2 or SL3? That SL2 is about 3 lb. 2 oz. Nice weight for a conventional tent, but at 52x84x42, it is too crowded for you two and fido, eh? That SL3 is about 4 lb. 4 oz. . . another 1 lb. and 2 ounces is quite a bit of additional weight, but at a true 70x90 with no foot narrowing, it gives fido lots of room and allows you and your significant other space (and perhaps even some space for fido to bring fido's significant other). So, you looked at the SL3, I'm assuming. And, if so, you probably thought: maybe leave behind a little fuel? Leave behind a book? Perhaps see about testing out the skin-so-soft leaves in the local area and leave behind that second roll of Mr. Whipple's finest? Decisions, decisions. What was yours?

Wayne hall 5155
12-10-2014, 22:20
I use the Lightheart gear duo and love it. Its a two person tent but lots of room. My wife and I with our 60# dog have plenty of room in this tent. I have used it for two years and just finished a Appalachian thru hike with it and it's still in good shape. Only weights two pounds.

budman5
12-10-2014, 22:58
Take a look at ----CCS Sewing lean 2 plus

Sarcasm the elf
12-10-2014, 23:37
What kind of tent (and foot print if applicable) are you using?

While not having to deal with a dog, I recently had to setup my Kelty tent on gravel with two young boys inside... but because of the toughness of the tent and foot print, I didn't worry much about it.

By contrast, I recently purchased a Big Agnes Copper Spur for solo use... and I find that I'm spending more time setting this tent up because I feel like I've got to make sure I'm getting all the things out from under the footprint that might puncture the material... and in some cases, I've had seed pods (with some sharp edges) that have left an indentation in my footprint. So I can't imagine what things would be like if I had a large dog (Lab or German Shepard) on top of that material.

Sorry I missed this the forst time around.

My time hiking with dogs has been split between a Eureka tent made of more traditional, but fairly lightweight materials and a tarptent double rainbow, no footprint/groundcloth used with either. I was pleasantly surprised by how tough the floor of the tarptent was, especially considering that it is so lightweight for its size.

I have to say that I was not impressed with the thin floors in the UL Big Agnes tents, I borrowed a Fly Creek UL1 from a friend on several occasions and when I used it I was always worried that the thing would suffer a puncture or an abrasion if I set it up on the wrong surface.

Wise Old Owl
12-11-2014, 00:39
Here is something that has not been suggested that may be dog freindly... I say this in reserve as you did not say 3or 4 season or if mosquito's are present. If you are carrying z pads this works. (the old kind not self inflating) so $62 + ship clearly ships and relatively dog proof. I took an old tent and razor bladed the base pad out rolled it up and stick that under the dog.

<font color="#000000">
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkBeZqXU4zk

Something else to discover - some dogs away from the house get quirky at night - sleep in the back yard a few times then down the street once or twice, on a strap retractor that cannot be chewed.

GalHikingTheGap
01-03-2015, 19:15
I was about to post almost this identical question.

We are registering (wedding in June) for a tent since our new puppy is a leaner and our MSR Missing Link tarp-tent, while ample in space, is not stable enough for the three of us given the way it's set up with trekking poles.

Would love ideas on a free-standing tent that meets OP's requirements. We like the dog not being able to see out because it keeps her calmer overnight, we were thinking a tarp with a bug net but now it seems like that's not a great option. Help!

Baby D

Connie
01-03-2015, 20:19
The Lil' Bug Out has a large "vestibule" that may be arranged with 2-open doors or zipped closed. It is floorless. If you have a ground cover for your area, or, use bivi's the dog will not tear up.

http://store.seekoutside.com/lil-bug-out-shelter-base-and-3-piece-vestibule/#PhotoSwipe1420269929134

This shelter can be carried in two pieces, sharing the load. It is not heavy.

Franco
01-03-2015, 22:14
You can share the weight of any shelter ever made...

kayak karl
01-03-2015, 22:44
it's been 8 months. Spirit walker, did you choose the tent you need?

AliciaG
01-06-2015, 14:07
The Big Agnes Fairview 2 is really light - under 4 lbs. You can save on it if you can find an older make - the 2013 ones are on sale now at REI outlet for $170. There is a coupon out now: http://bc25.com/coupon/rei-3-brand-sale/